Theories on Jaime and Stoneheart?

King of Winters

Jaime is the redemption story of ASoIaF, he won't be killed before his character arc. Theon is the tragedy and will also be kept alive for the same reason. I haven't a god damn farts clue what GRRM is doing with Jon, Dany or Sansa though because I think any of them could actually become a villain. I just think we were made to hate Jaime early for a reason.

Actually this storyline has me really pissed at GRRM. Obviously Stoneheart talked to Brienne about SOMETHING after she cut her down. This has ALREADY HAPPENED. It is really petty of GRRM to keep this thing from us. We have a POV taking part in that talk.

Personally, I don't think GRRM is ready to let go the mysteries that he's crafted and he's engaging in stupid contortions to keep them going. I love the books, but this issue has me so angry!

Personally, I don't think GRRM is ready to let go the mysteries that he's crafted and he's engaging in stupid contortions to keep them going. I love the books, but this issue has me so angry!

It's called a 'cliffhanger'.

It's not a 'cliffhanger' when you know some of the action AFTER the cliffhanger. Brienne picks up Jamie AFTER her talk with LS. I'm not talking about what happened to Jamie after Brienne gets him. I'm talking about what task LS give Brienne.

Jon's stabbing is a cliffhanger. This is just petty

it will come down to a trial by combat where Brienne will end up fighting for Jaime since he is not 100 %....

Or

Maybe a trial by combat between Jaime and Brienne !

One of those is my guess.

second one for me. Someone was touting around a theory on this forum for the sword of AA to be the Oathkeeper nicely lubricated with the blood of the loved one. Another one was that Gendry gets to reforge it, but in any way, it seems important that the Oathkeeper.has the red tint to it as AA´s magic sword should. Plus the fact that Brienne is on borrowed time since she came back into the service of unCat. when she served her the first time, it was because Cat promised to never make her do anything that would go against her honour, well, guess what, killing Jaime would totally go against it, thus she should really sacrifice herself for him

So trial by combat it is for me, with Brienne fighting JAime and letting him win, and he has to live with it, making him even more disillusioned, prepping him nicely to come back at kill Cercei. It is known.

(most theories here are not my own, stolen/borrowed from the wonderful lot here on the forums.)

I think we can establish that Jaime Lannister is not free given that he has been missing for weeks. The idea that Brienne or Jaime took part in a trial-by-combat does not conform with that information. Unless, of course, you think that Jaime is already dead.

Cliff-hanger.

The worst way to kill the audience.

I think unfortunately why Jaime wasn't in the last book leads to the fact that it's pretty important-- and requires a certain proximity to events with Daenerys.

Shadows of the Knot (now trademarked), if you will.

That's my best way of explaining it off atm.

Cliffhangers work in TV series, where they get solved next week. On books that take five years to be written? A few are justified because they're major, the rest are plain petty.

Especially when you consider that we were left with a cliffhanger in 2005 that was resolved six years later with . . . another cliffhanger.

My theory:

Brienne is currently constrained by the threats to the lives of her companions, Podrick Payne and Ser Hyle (who may still be alive). If they are dead, she can go where she likes as long as she keeps out of the BWB's way. If they are alive, Brienne is constrained and *must* bring Jaime back to the BWB. Yet she does not want to betray him to his death by hanging. Her plan may be to demand that Jaime has a right to a trial by combat, and fight as his champion. Of course, if Brienne loses, she dies having also betrayed Jaime to his own death, and she knows this is a possibility. But this may be - as far as SHE knows, the only way to save her two other companions: putting Jaime's life at risk (in case they refuse to allow him a trial-by-combat), and then her own in fighting to save him from the risk she brought on him. If she can win that, she gets to square it with her own conscience because Jaime gets to survive according to the rules of trial by combat, and Podrick and Hyle get to go free as well.

But, as far as things go, that is Brienne's *intention*, not necessarily what will happen. UnCat may refuse (and hang Jaime). Or Brienne and Jaime may actually raid the BWB's lair to rescue Podrick and Ser Hyle, and all end up on the run together. Or the leadership of the BWB may change hands. (If it does, it may be because Brynden "Blackfish" Tully shows up - it would be an obvious place for him to end up, as an anti-Frey resistance organisation based in the Tullys' own lands. And he may not like UnCat's way of running it. Would he have the nerve to kill his undead niece and put himself forward as replacement leader? If so, then Jaime would be kept captive, but alive, as a hostage for the release of Edmure Tully from the westerlands, and Brienne and her companions would be politely thanked and invited to buzz off.)

Jaime will survive his ordeal with LS to fulfill his role as the valonqar. I think LS will allow Jaime a trial by combat since he can't fight with his left hand, and Brienne will unexpectedly stand as Jaime's champion against Lem. LS will still require Jaime to help her daughters.

She might use him in the second RW.

agree completely with this.

Jaime is a tool. Though LS hates him, she will get her use out of him simply because he LEADS the Lannister army at this point, especially with Kevan gone. I see her asking him to atone by setting his army on the Twins or on Riverrun to "feed the crows like they did at the Red Wedding"

It's not a 'cliffhanger' when you know some of the action AFTER the cliffhanger. Brienne picks up Jamie AFTER her talk with LS. I'm not talking about what happened to Jamie after Brienne gets him. I'm talking about what task LS give Brienne.

Jon's stabbing is a cliffhanger. This is just petty

no...a cliffhanger is a cliffhanger. GRRM is not going to wrap up a story that could potentially end TWO MAJOR POV characters, and therefore give us NO eyes into the BWB. Take a chill pill

I saw a theory that he was already dead by the end of ADWD (IIRC he has been missing for weeks as of the epilogue) Kinda liked it. I'm in the minority in hoping Stoneheart hangs him.

I would kinda be interested in seeing that happen too. It would upset soooo many theories about Jaime being AA/the valonqar/having a very redeemed story arc. It'd be Ned all over again

Archived