The Christian Allegory of Danaerys Targaryen

gash

i've touched on this in a few threads now and it seem there is a genuine appetite for the "dany as christ theory" to have a thread to call its own. it now seems quite obvious to even the most casual of readers that dany represents jesus h. christ (of biblical fame) and by looking at jesus' own life we may understand dany's purpose and motivations more clearly. obviously this is a sprawling topic so i will try to be very concise to begin with and we can do some "deep diving" on the topic in the following few hundred pages of this thread.

1. Beginnings

Jesus was born under pretty harsh circumstances. king herod ordered all baby males to be killed in bethlehem, cauing the young family to flee to egypt. dany too was hunted by the Herod-like robert baratheon and had to relocate to another hot location, Essos which also begins with E. jesus did not know his real father, just like dany.

2. Freedom bringer

Dany freeing of the slaves is amongst her most noble and widely accepted acts of pure selfless humitarianism. just as jesus frees us from our sins.

3. Resurrection

Jesus died rather painfully and rose again, in order that our sins would be forgiven and that we would be saved. dany too undergoes a resurrection, in the funeral pire, where she emerges as the mother of dragons. she too, must undergo a painful experience in order for her to become the saviour of westeros. there is also heavy crucifxion imagery in ASOIAF, particularly in danys chapters.

4. Miracles

jesus was fond of the odd miracle. water into wine, curing people, driving demons out etc. dany too has shown supernatural powers. she is fireproof.

5. Forgiveness

jesus is big on forgiveness. he forgives us all if we seek it, unconditionally. dany too has shown this divine level of compassion - she does not kill jorah when he is revealed as a dirty traitor and she spares every slave owning monster under the age of 12 when she purifys astapor. (clever readers will note the similarities here to sodom and/or gomorrah)

6. The holy trinity

perhaps one of the strongest parallels between the dany and christian doctrine is the holy trinity. in the christian belief system we are told that god is also three other aspects; the father son and holy spirit, and this is one of mysterys of the christian faith. we are told time and time again throughout the ASOIAF books that "the dragon has three heads". also a mystery.

7. Relatives

we now see increasing evidence that jesus had brothers, and perhaps even a wife and kids, but there remains an air of mystery around these people. dany's relatives remain shrouded in mystery too.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

Sorry, I've calmed down now.

I've only been on this forum for a month or two now, but I've spent a lot of time here and I can without a doubt say I have NEVER seen Dany compared to Jesus Chris.

I have, however, seen approximately 13 Dany stan comments by yourself since yesterday.

With that in mind, I'm not going to go any further in to it.

" it now seems quite obvious to even the most casual of readers that dany represents jesus h. christ (of biblical fame) and by looking at jesus' own life we may understand dany's purpose and motivations more clearly."

No. It's not obvious at all to me.

You can find similarities between almost every story. Just check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

Anyway...

1. Dany is not all that forgiving. Actually she has ordered the torture of children etc.

2. She is NOT fireproof

Oh lord Jesus ( :cool4:). I APPLAUD this theory, Daenerys is Christ reborn. She is divinely crafted and is a gift to all men and everyone here needs to add her to the Holy Trinity and everyone needs to start praying to her. Also, (if your Catholic) add Mother Rhaella to your prayers. :bowdown:

there is also heavy crucifxion imagery in ASOIAF, particularly in danys chapters.

This actually made me laugh.

Yeah, not shit there's heavy crucifixion imagery. She crucifies several hundred people and has to walk by them every day.

Also, you forgot about the trek through the desert, 40 days and 40 nights for Jesus.

1. Sure, I'll give you that one, minus the virgin birth it is rather similar.

2. Dany brought freedom to slaves, as well as poverty, destitution and desperation, do remember the horrible state of living that her slaves are in now that they have no one to shelter them and no way of really "helping themselves".

3. Similar in some, but the Jesus didn't go around crucifying babymurderers.

4. I wouldn't count this one. At all. Whatsoever. What a miracle would have been is actually her plans succeeding!

5. Babymurderers. Crucify them. Slavers. Destroy them violently. Jorah has actively REPENTED of his sin since Qarth. (Hm... Sound familiar?) So she banishes him instead of kills him. Very merciful and forgiving of her.

6. Because the Holy Trinity rides around on dragons and burns castles.

7. Napoleon had brothers and sisters too didn't he? OMG! Napoleon = Jesus!

And I think for the Dany = Jesus allegory to be complete, Dany actually needs to have success in something that doesn't end up with plague, destruction and economic ruin to half the world.

1. Beginnings

Jesus was born under pretty harsh circumstances. king herod ordered all baby males to be killed in bethlehem, cauing the young family to flee to egypt. dany too was hunted by the Herod-like robert baratheon and had to relocate to another hot location, Essos which also begins with E. jesus did not know his real father, just like dany.

I don't know much about the bible, but I have a feeling Jesus's father was slightly more majestic than Danys. Don't really know though lol.

2. Freedom bringer

Dany freeing of the slaves is amongst her most noble and widely accepted acts of pure selfless humitarianism. just as jesus frees us from our sins.

yes, agreed. Exactly like Jesus.

3. Resurrection

Jesus died rather painfully and rose again, in order that our sins would be forgiven and that we would be saved. dany too undergoes a resurrection, in the funeral pire, where she emerges as the mother of dragons. she too, must undergo a painful experience in order for her to become the saviour of westeros. there is also heavy crucifxion imagery in ASOIAF, particularly in danys chapters.

lol, yes a lot of crucifixion imagery I agree. Although something strikes me as MUCH, MUCH different about Jesus's crucifixion and "Dany's" crucifixion.

4. Miracles

jesus was fond of the odd miracle. water into wine, curing people, driving demons out etc. dany too has shown supernatural powers. she is fireproof.

Well, seeing as how Dany is NOT fireproof, eh...

5. Forgiveness

jesus is big on forgiveness. he forgives us all if we seek it, unconditionally. dany too has shown this divine level of compassion - she does not kill jorah when he is revealed as a dirty traitor and she spares every slave owning monster under the age of 12 when she purifys astapor. (clever readers will note the similarities here to sodom and/or gomorrah)

lol yes, I'm sure Jesus would have slaughtered all people over the age of 13 as well. I agree.

6. The holy trinity

perhaps one of the strongest parallels between the dany and christian doctrine is the holy trinity. in the christian belief system we are told that god is also three other aspects; the father son and holy spirit, and this is one of mysterys of the christian faith. we are told time and time again throughout the ASOIAF books that "the dragon has three heads". also a mystery.

Yes, flesh eating, baby eating dragons are EXACTLY the same as the holy trinity. Agreed.

7. Relatives

we now see increasing evidence that jesus had brothers, and perhaps even a wife and kids, but there remains an air of mystery around these people. dany's relatives remain shrouded in mystery too.

lol yes, this is also part of why I see Jesus parallels with Roose Bolton as well. Many of his relatives also remain shrouded in mystery. Just like Jesus's. Perfect.

Great theory, I agree entirely with it. Awesome work.

Archived