[Book spoilers] Dracarys!

Fantastic scene. Didn't disappoint in any way. I can't pick my favorite part of it just yet.

ETA: That fucking CGI... God, this show continues to impress and astound me. All the soldiers, the smoking city, the freaking dragons, Drogon burning the buildings... It looks and feels so real.

Emilia was great, the looks on everyone's faces when she spoke were great, the visuals were great, and the music was great. It was great.

Except...

The underlying premise was really stupid. It always felt to me like GRRM made the slavers unbelievably stupid so that Dany could get her army, and that translated right over to the show. Why don't they train the Unsullied to never be able to kill an Astapor slaver. And if that's not possible, why would they ever agree to sell their entire army?

I know they have "dragon envy" or whatever, but I can't believe they would be so shortsighted. Them not understanding the nature of a dragon? That makes sense. Them not understanding that someone might try ordering bought Unsullied to attack them? That doesn't.

I didn't like the chapter, and I didn't much like the scene. I was really hoping D&D would change the scene a bit, maybe show that the slavers do have quite a lot of soldiers (and not just a handful of guards) and have the Unsullied really have to fight it out a bit.

So, as is, it was very pretty nonsense. Sorry.

Krazyns is a sexist slaver who think Danaerys is a stupid girl. He doesn't think anything of her more than a begging whore with a nice ass. Ya he really wanted a dragon and it's believable that he would be so shortsighted, look at the culture in which he lives he's just a dumbass and got roasted for it

As a reader, this honestly was the first time I've gotten chills watching a scene since Ned's execution. And it was straight from the book. Not to belittle season 2 and the first episodes of 3, but I haven't been truly awed by a scene in a while (Wildfyre explosion the closest). But this one took the cake, it was the best action scene in the series by far, and in terms of the emotion it raises, it is in the top 3.

The underlying premise was really stupid. It always felt to me like GRRM made the slavers unbelievably stupid so that Dany could get her army, and that translated right over to the show. Why don't they train the Unsullied to never be able to kill an Astapor slaver. And if that's not possible, why would they ever agree to sell their entire army?

I know they have "dragon envy" or whatever, but I can't believe they would be so shortsighted. Them not understanding the nature of a dragon? That makes sense. Them not understanding that someone might try ordering bought Unsullied to attack them? That doesn't.

I didn't like the chapter, and I didn't much like the scene. I was really hoping D&D would change the scene a bit, maybe show that the slavers do have quite a lot of soldiers (and not just a handful of guards) and have the Unsullied really have to fight it out a bit.

The slavers, in the books as well as in the show, call on the unsullied to defend their "masters". They never expect that the unsullied would turn on them, even though their training means that they obey without question. Their dragon greed goes all the way back to the defeat of Old Ghis by the Valyrians because Valyria had dragons. They just couldn't pass it up, no matter the price. Plus they underestimated Dany because she was a woman. I think its plausible.

Emilia was great, the looks on everyone's faces when she spoke were great, the visuals were great, and the music was great. It was great.

Except...

Kraznys was a dumbass. No denying that. But I don't see how him being a dumbass hurts the story. Dany played nicely into that, and I think it's perfectly plausible for them to be arrogant enough never to even consider that Dany - a woman, barely more than a child to their eyes - would just turn on them the second she had the Unsullied at her command. Combine that with the possibility of owning a dragon - not understanding that there was no way in seven hells that Drogon would be willing to leave his mama - and I don't think it's bad storytelling at all. Slavers have never traditionally been paragons of intellect, and people fall for cons every day that involve the promess of far less lucrative payoffs.

It was a very exciting scene. I kinda always knew she understood him to some extent but damn I wasn't expecting that turn so soon. Guess we'll see Yunkai this season after all ;)

Great soundtrack too.

Except...

Because if the Unsullied had an overriding loyalty to the Astapor slavemasters they would be worthless as slave soldiers for sale. The whole point of buying Unsullied is that they are absolutely loyal to their master, without question or hesitation. If there are orders you cannot give them, they are no longer the product you're paying for. They would have never sold their entire army, had they not ever been offered a goddamn dragon, which they saw as an once-in-history opportunity.

Also, they didn't actually selll their entire army: Astapor also has non-Unsullied troops, but they're stated to be pretty much worthless because Astapor relies on the Unsullied it has not yet sold for its defense. Greed blinded them and they thought: Whatever, we'll make more fucking Unsullied. Just give us that dragon. They didn't consider that Dany would turn her newfound slave army against them because nobody has been in that kind of position before: Nobody could possibly afford ALL the Unsullied in Astapor.

To everyone:

Sure, sorry but no. I refuse to believe that any slaver could be so willfully blind to the idea that a buyer, particularly one from outside the regular paradigm, would ever try to cross them. It defies my suspension of belief.

Like I said, I'm totally willing to buy into the idea that they wouldn't understand a dragon can't be sold. I'm also willing to buy the idea that they underestimate Dany (they clearly do). And, sure, I'm willing to buy that Unsullied can't be trained to NOT obey whatever order their master gives me. And of course I'm willing to buy that they would do just about anything for a dragon.

What I'm not willing to buy is that would not always have enough other soldiers/slave soldiers on hand to properly defend the city. As is, its like a gun store owner selling a gun and bullets to someone, and not having a shotgun behind the counter in case the customer gets any ideas.

To everyone:

Sure, sorry but no. I refuse to believe that any slaver could be so willfully blind to the idea that a buyer, particularly one from outside the regular paradigm, would ever try to cross them. It defies my suspension of belief.

Like I said, I'm totally willing to buy into the idea that they wouldn't understand a dragon can't be sold. I'm also willing to buy the idea that they underestimate Dany (they clearly do). And, sure, I'm willing to buy that Unsullied can't be trained to NOT obey whatever order their master gives me. And of course I'm willing to buy that they would do just about anything for a dragon.

What I'm not willing to buy is that would not always have enough other soldiers/slave soldiers on hand to properly defend the city. As is, its like a gun store owner selling a gun and bullets to someone, and not having a shotgun behind the counter in case the customer gets any ideas.

Gun salesmen usually aren't allowed to sell bullets to someone immediately after or while someone's purchasing a firearm, for that reason.

To everyone:

I think that part of it is they don't understand why she would do it. For an abomination like Kraznos and many of the other slavers, it is outside their thought process that they are doing anything wrong. They probably feel somewhat protected by the fact that people who buy Unsullied will want to return to but more, pretty hard to do if you destroy their ability to make Unsullied.

Also, maybe they never had an order for this many.

That is a bit of handwaving, but otherwise, yea it doesn't make a ton of sense.

I don't really think they could have done better on this scene. I even liked the part where Barristan and Jorah looked at each other like "yep we server a bad ass babe who is going to take back the 7 kingdoms."

Archived