[Book Spoilers] Who was that dude Varys and Tyrion were looking at?

JMJ

I just had an epiphany since Dan and David are in on the ending,ok here it goes. I think they showed the sorcerer because they want the viewers to know that he is a red priest just like Mel and Thoros and how mel was talking about king's blood. Well why would anyone want a limb or blood of some slave unless that slave had some essence of kings blood, or more specifically blackfyre. Couldn't this be a subtle way in the show and even in the book hinting at Varys being a blackfyre I mean what else would a red priest want Varys for?

I just had an epiphany since Dan and David are in on the ending,ok here it goes. I think they showed the sorcerer because they want the viewers to know that he is a red priest just like Mel and Thoros and how mel was talking about king's blood. Well why would anyone want a limb or blood of some slave unless that slave had some essence of kings blood, or more specifically blackfyre. Couldn't this be a subtle way in the show and even in the book hinting at Varys being a blackfyre I mean what else would a red priest want Varys for?

That king's blood has special value does not indicate that ONLY king's blood has ANY value. And it wasn't Varys's blood that was being used, in any case. If he does have king's blood, why throw away a source of magical reagents after one use? He obviously survived the casting of the spell and still has blood....

I thought this scene was interesting since it showed that Varys is about the long game. He waited (I'm guessing) 30 years to get revenge on the sorcerer. It shows that him waiting around for Dany to grow up is completely within character.

Also illustrates his reach across the Narrow Sea, which is of particular significance to Tyrion in the future, and is a macro plot driver as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

it will be interesting to see just where (if at all) this story line goes

I doubt we'll here any more of it.

For all we know, Varys is having some fun with him for some time, and Tyrion, the only other one aware of the sorcerer, knows better than asking Varys what became of his old friend/new toy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Also interesting how the guy's mouth was sewn shut, it appears. I'd guess this was to prevent him from casting some spell.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't "sewn shut," though the dim lighting in that scene makes it hard to tell. It actually looks like a thick cord of rope shoved into his mouth and wrapped tightly around the other side, essentially gagging him. If you pause the scene (DVD recording for the win) you can see it bulge alongside his cheeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought the sorcerer was paralayzed but his mind could still understand what was being done to him.much like he did to varys.and his lessons to tyrion was that sometimes we know whats happening but are powerless(paralyzed) to do anything about it at the time but with time we find ways to achieve our goals

Archived