Tattooing: The Sequel-Not Loved Enough as Children...

MercenaryChef

Philadelphia tattoo convention this weekend. I'm going to go for a few hours. Didn't book time with anyone in particular. Thinking about getting a piece of flash if something catches my eye, but I'm always nervous about getting work done by someone I haven't thoroughly vetted first.

Philadelphia tattoo convention this weekend. I'm going to go for a few hours. Didn't book time with anyone in particular. Thinking about getting a piece of flash if something catches my eye, but I'm always nervous about getting work done by someone I haven't thoroughly vetted first.

That makes sense, it's what scares me about getting my first ink done. I hope you have fun;)

http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/funny-tattoo-cheap-lion-awful.jpg

People got ripped off in all three (well at least they got a decent one in the first.)

Actually, they didn't in the first, and I will explain why to you. That lion was done by a master tattooist. By my estimate, it took 10 hours of actual, ass in the chair tattoo time. At. Least. Very possibly more. Probably it was two sessions so double the material cost of the other two, triple the time. The artist also spent at least 2 hours prior to that on consult and drawing (which is not charged for) at 10 hours tattoo time, that's $120/hr, which is a VERY reasonable hourly rate for an artist working on that level (most would be at least 160, I promise).

People think, well shit, that guy is making ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY DOLLARS AN HOUR!!

No, he or she is not.

For one, your artist recieves a commission off that only, which is typically between 45-60% this guy would be on the top end of that, so lets say 60% That puts the artist at $72 for the billed hourly, $720 of the $1200

Tattoo artists are also self employed independent contractors. This means no taxes are withheld and that we pay both halves of the payroll tax. If you are somebody's employee, you pay half, your work pays half. This is a big fucking deal. This means you are taxed at a rate of about 30%, no joke. I think when I did my taxes last year it came to about 28 or 29 percent. This brings that from $720 to $504

As a tattoo artist you also pay for all or most of your equipment. That's right around $40, and this guy probably set up twice. Knock $80 off that. Also, anyone working at this level is paying a shop assistant, who is like counter staff but also does stuff for you to manage your schedule and food and keeps people from wasting your time. The artists and the shop tend to split costs for this staffing, I'd guess on average you'd pay $15/day. This guy would be working on this 2 days, so lets dock another $30. Brings us to $394

Include the 2 hours drawing and consult time to our 10 hour tattoo time (both conservative estimates), and we have 12 hours of time invested in this. That makes this a situation where this artist, who would be in the top eschelon of his or her field, takes home 32.83/hr. This includes no healthcare benefits, no dental, no insurance, no paid overtime or sick days, no vacation, no retirement. Also, it is pretty unlikely that the two days that this was scheduled that anything else was due to draw time, setup and tear down time, and lunch. In which case, we're looking at about 24.63/hr. For one of the best in their business, to create an original, one of a kind piece of art that you get to keep forever while significantly harming their own body to do it. And that's about as much money as you will ever make in this industry, which takes a LOT of work and skill, a LOT of dedication, and takes and enormous toll on your body between your back and your hands. If you're good you will make a living. You will not get rich, pretty much no matter how good you get. People who manage retail make more, welders make more.

So no, the first person did not get "ripped off" and I would argue that while the other two didn't get their money's worth the onus is on them to know what they are paying for and the quality and safety of work they are putting on their bodies is.

Also, in the line of duty, for a billed $130/hr, I have been licked by strangers (note this is plural), I had someone drop their dick on my hand while I tattooed their leg, I had someone, a man, buy the exact same pair of ladies running short shorts he saw I had and wear them the next time I tattooed him, I had a homeless person throw nickels at me, a client jerked off into the pump soap dispenser (thank god it was one you can see into before that got squirted onto anyone's hands, I've been puked on, had to deal with numerous strangers crying in front of me, I was peed on by an adult human who I then had to tell it was okay (spoiler-it wasn't), and I was cut by someone's jagged fungused toenail, all in the past 365 days. I also risk exposure to people's body fluids (I've never had an exposure, but I do handle dirty needles every day) and I can't go to the store or the gym or the bank in the town I work in without a 45 minute conversation about how I tattooed their friend and how they or someone they know may someday want to get tattooed and I get to hear every tattoo idea they have ever heard of while holding a watermelon and a 12 pack of grapefruit LaCroix. And these people don't come to the shop and get tattooed, no, no, they just make me do the part of my job I am not paid for during my off time. And usually they touch my tattoos. They get mad if you tell them you'd rather they didn't touch you. If I go to e gym people will talk to me and touch my tattoos WHILE I AM GETTING DRESSED. That's right, I got the old wizard sleeves flapping in the breeze and someone wants to turn my arm over so they can see what is tattooed on the other side of it. BUT NO. FOR SUCH HARDSHIP MY BILLED 130/hr (which usually puts me right around 45-48k a year) IS A TOTAL FUCKING RIPOFF

My neighbour scared the life out of my boyfriend a few months ago. He was sat on the low wall out the front of my house, and didn't notice anyone walking towards him, when my neighbour grabbed his arm and started twisting it this way and that to get a better look at his tattoos.

As much as I laughed at him, people touching me does really, really fuck me off.

• 4 weeks later...

Also, in the line of duty, for a billed $130/hr, I have been licked by strangers (note this is plural), I had someone drop their dick on my hand while I tattooed their leg, I had someone, a man, buy the exact same pair of ladies running short shorts he saw I had and wear them the next time I tattooed him, I had a homeless person throw nickels at me, a client jerked off into the pump soap dispenser (thank god it was one you can see into before that got squirted onto anyone's hands, I've been puked on, had to deal with numerous strangers crying in front of me, I was peed on by an adult human who I then had to tell it was okay (spoiler-it wasn't), and I was cut by someone's jagged fungused toenail, all in the past 365 days. I also risk exposure to people's body fluids (I've never had an exposure, but I do handle dirty needles every day) and I can't go to the store or the gym or the bank in the town I work in without a 45 minute conversation about how I tattooed their friend and how they or someone they know may someday want to get tattooed and I get to hear every tattoo idea they have ever heard of while holding a watermelon and a 12 pack of grapefruit LaCroix. And these people don't come to the shop and get tattooed, no, no, they just make me do the part of my job I am not paid for during my off time. And usually they touch my tattoos. They get mad if you tell them you'd rather they didn't touch you. If I go to e gym people will talk to me and touch my tattoos WHILE I AM GETTING DRESSED. That's right, I got the old wizard sleeves flapping in the breeze and someone wants to turn my arm over so they can see what is tattooed on the other side of it. BUT NO. FOR SUCH HARDSHIP MY BILLED 130/hr (which usually puts me right around 45-48k a year) IS A TOTAL FUCKING RIPOFF

this post reenforces me being totally ok with shooting people...

where i live now it is standard price of about $100 per hour. We have some very talented shops too. i was quotes $400 for 7 crows flying around my forearm with some smoke like shadowing between them. considering it is basically half a sleeve i felt that was a great deal. slight high details on the feathers, i could see it taking them over 4 hours.

i still want to hold out and have Kay do it though

Is there a thread for non-tattoo body mods? I seem to recall that there was, but I can't find it now.

Anyway, I'm going to start the process of stretching down from my 4-gauge lobe piercings tonight. I don't know how big I want to go. 2, obviously, and maybe 0? I don't want outrageously large plugs, and I like wearing the circular barbells that those of you have met me have seen me wear. They make those in larger sizes, but once they get a certain size I'd be worried about the weight. I can always wear tunnels at larger sizes, and put the jewelry through those.

still thinking about the split tongue. I do still want to do it, but the time and expense just aren't in the cards right now.

Is there a thread for non-tattoo body mods? I seem to recall that there was, but I can't find it now.

Anyway, I'm going to start the process of stretching down from my 4-gauge lobe piercings tonight. I don't know how big I want to go. 2, obviously, and maybe 0? I don't want outrageously large plugs, and I like wearing the circular barbells that those of you have met me have seen me wear. They make those in larger sizes, but once they get a certain size I'd be worried about the weight. I can always wear tunnels at larger sizes, and put the jewelry through those.

still thinking about the split tongue. I do still want to do it, but the time and expense just aren't in the cards right now.

i have 7/16" plugs. it is just large enough to be large but not gigantic.

Hm. I could proooobably get down to 00 by the end of the year, assuming my flesh cooperates. I've got some scar tissue on the right one that gets angry when I stretch, and it take a while to heal properly every time. But 7/16th, I figure that's got to be at least another year after that. That's a lot of time and effort.

Then again, it's not like I'm using my lobes for anything else.

Archived