[Book Spoilers] Mormont

I don't understand it at all. It would've been incredibly easy to pull off, and I see absolutely no disadvantage to doing it. Whether or not he does end up joining the Night's Watch is inconsequential, but a father's last request for his son that shamed the family is pretty damn important in my eyes, and shouldn't have been ignored.

I am of the opinion that the series do not tell anything about the future books. ;)

I am of opinion that George's books, all five of them, don't tell us any thing about the future story.

There is plenty to speculate about.

He has so many arcs in the air that if they don't converge in WoW there will have to be an 8th novel!

Either the invasion of the Others from the North (and Winter) is a big part of the story or not ... if it's not ... what a shaggy dog story!

I don't understand it at all. It would've been incredibly easy to pull off, and I see absolutely no disadvantage to doing it. Whether or not he does end up joining the Night's Watch is inconsequential, but a father's last request for his son that shamed the family is pretty damn important in my eyes, and shouldn't have been ignored.

Except for the last words of a dying man is an incredibly overused trope in cinema and television. Game of Thrones has always shied away from it; death is sudden and unexpected in the world they've crafted. Sometimes, somebody will say something poignant before they die - "We are the Watchers on the Wall" - but you'll never hear "Tell my wife I love her" kind of lines in this show. It worked fine in the books, but seriously, just imagine Jeor spilling out cliched garbage on-screen as he dies in Sam's arms. For my money, the scene would have been ruined.

Except for the last words of a dying man is an incredibly overused trope in cinema and television. Game of Thrones has always shied away from it; death is sudden and unexpected in the world they've crafted. Sometimes, somebody will say something poignant before they die - "We are the Watchers on the Wall" - but you'll never hear "Tell my wife I love her" kind of lines in this show. It worked fine in the books, but seriously, just imagine Jeor spilling out cliched garbage on-screen as he dies in Sam's arms. For my money, the scene would have been ruined.

All the while Sam is somehow left alone and not killed or injured in the chaos.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow I almost forgot about that conversation w/ Jon but that was way back then i don't think too many people esp non-book readers will make the connection that LC Mormont is Jorah's father

As a non-reader (who intentionally spoiled himself due to post-Red Wedding bitterness), I'm gonna agree with this. I mean, Jeor was one of my favorite characters and I liked Jorah more than there's literally any reason to because of how awesome Iain Glen's voice is, but I totally forgot they were related. I remembered they were both named Mormont but it just didn't click in my mind at all.

Archived