how many "OGs" on the forum?

gash

Saw the HBO S1 pilot. Then an hour later I watched it again. Then I picked up GOT the next day and had it done before Ned Stark lost his head. Since then I was hooked and I read books 2 -4 in about a month and ADWD the following summer. Now I'm on my third reread. I haven't been able to pick up any other book series yet.

I was born when ACOK was released. I'd just finished reading Harry Potter and LOTR and then I heard about a new fantasy series. So I watched it and then I got hooked and then went to buy all the books.

That's a mirror to the old eeesite incarnation of the board. It's around year 2000/2001. You may recognize many names there: Ran, KAH, LindaElane, Trebla, Markus, Relic, Loden... Some of them are not posting regularly, but they appear now and then (at least when there's a new book coming out).

It's from the time when we were waiting for ASOS, and we thought that two years was too long a time to wait for a book. Poor boys of summer...

I think of Ned as the patriarch rather than the hero and the first book of the series as one long prologue.

Yes, that was one of Martin's many strokes of genius in ASoIaF. The story was never going to be about Ned. It was always going to be about his children (and others - like Dany). Thus, Ned had to die in order for things to really become about the kids ;)

As for me, I started the series in early 2000 after it was suggested to me by a friend and my husband. Read the first two books and then had to wait for Storm to come out.

This is basically how I came to the series as well. I always meant to read AGoT but I didn't get to it until ACoK was released. So, I quickly read them both and have been eagerly awaiting new installments ever since.

Oh, and someone asked how many people are 35+ around these forums? Quite a few actually! I was 27 in 1996 when AGoT came out :)

Haha. I bet you have 3. Just color it. You are not my senior by that much, and if you are old.... the very idea is unacceptable. There are just a lot of very young people who love GRRM. We are among them.

I DO NOT HAVE GREY HAIR I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!! (joke). Seriously its cool, young people need to read more these days anyways.

I was 5 in 1996, and the series wasn't published in Brazil until the show came out... so I had never even heard of it before. Started reading after the first episode.

I picked in up in 2002 while rehabbing from knee surgery. Been addicted ever since.

I DO NOT HAVE GREY HAIR I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!! (joke). Seriously its cool, young people need to read more these days anyways.

I completely agree. When my friends hear that I'm re-reading ASOIAF or reading Dunk and Egg they just look at me like I'm alien. My generation is so lazy and annoying. They need to read about snows that fall a hundred feet deep or civil wars started by incest.

I completely agree. When my friends hear that I'm re-reading ASOIAF or reading Dunk and Egg they just look at me like I'm alien. My generation is so lazy and annoying. They need to read about snows that fall a hundred feet deep or civil wars started by incest.

Beats watching TMZ, Honey Boo Boo and all the other crap on TV

I picked in up in 2002 while rehabbing from knee surgery. Been addicted ever since.

I picked up all three on a whim in 2002, in preparation for upcoming surgery recovery. Knew I was going to have a long recovery time and wanted something substantial to read .Started GOT a few days prior to surgery and couldn't put them down. Re-read them while recovering. They became my lounging by the pool go to read in the many summers that have followed.

Archived