[Book Spoilers] - "Significance" of the Podrick Payne?

I think Pod was shy and they thought he was cute so they agreed to lie for him.

Littlefinger not noticing missing money? Please. This is a man who implies that horrible things were done to a woman who he paid a lot of money for but wasn't making him any.

It's to make his search for Tyrion after Joffrey's wedding more believable. He did this because he wanted to impress Tyrion. He looks up to him. He was hurt when Tyrion just left him. By revealing that it was a lie before Tyrion leaves, it makes it more believable that he would go looking for him. He has proved in the past that he cares what Tyrion thinks of him and has a bond with him even though everyone else hates him.

We'll have him saving Tyrion at Blackwater, lying to impress Tyrion, and trying to impress Tyrion by knowing all the sigils when Dorne comes to visit. That should be enough for the non book readers to believe that he would care that Tyrion left without him.

I don't know about this Podrick business. Pod is quite a peripheral character, and it's a bit silly to waste time on establishing his sexual prowess when there are more important plots to develop (hello, Riverrun?). I really do think it's just an excuse to make sure the whores stay abreast (har, har) with the plot as it moves forward.

It's a prelude to the creation of a new Crown office after Dany Stormborn First of her Name takes throne. Same way Ser Ilyn Payne was King's Justice, Ser Podrick Payne will be Queen's Stud.

:lmao:

Honestly its not a Joke , GRRM created this character that kind of gets us rooting for him in so many ways. He's johnny on the spot for tyrion, and Brienne , he killed a knight of the kingsguard, his "ser , my lady's" are hillariously cute for lack of a different word. Hes apparently an awesome squire also. I mean GRRM is already building Pod up to be "the man".

If it is a joke the joke is they had to sex him up for TV viewers to get that sense of how awesome he is. Its either this or D&D just rewarding multitude of readers thatlove Pod.

I thought maybe there is something spiritual about him. The show includes elements of religion and magic, so maybe he descends from someone with magical powers and doesn't really know or control it yet, but the women who touched him noticed there is something different about him.

If this scence is significant I think it is linked to the fact that this is how Tyrion was repaying his debt to Pod. Now he still owes him for saving his life.

I also think it starts to put the idea in viewers minds that while Tyrion seems like an excellent player he can very easily be used as a pawn too. Whether someone else paid the whores, LF refused the money to play tyrion or the whores did decide Pod was amazing in bed/respectful doesn't seem too important. Pod was happy, became memorable and tyrion is left bewildered.

Tyrion's status as a Lannister does not make him immune to the games played at court....as we are soon to find out. Daddy's money is not always sufficient to get him out the crap...especially if daddy is the one playing games. Tyrion's shock, if real, really should awaken him/viewers to the fact that Shae is a whore and whores go where the money is.

The key thing about Pod is that he's an unlikely hero...emphasis on unlikely. D&D took that simple fact and focused on sexual prowess instead of skills in battle. The gist is still there and they probably hoped to add some comic relief along the way.

I think it works. A bit random perhaps, but I can see what they were thinking.

As a woman, I say we need MORE PODRICKS PLEASE. And I hope they run that joke forever, just like I hope Ros outlives everyone.

And just for the record: we don't want "testo-vaginaDESTROYERS" (as funny as that sounds), we need talented cocksmen who know how to calibrate themselves in order to rub our G-Spots perfectly. You don't want to destroy that vagina. You want to make it happy so it never wants to stop, and will fuck you until your dick falls off.

Men take note: Good sex is hard to come by, many of us enjoy adequate sex, but it's not what we want, or need. Women will crawl over glass for AMAZING sex. That should be your goal.

I'm glad you agree =). the "testo-vaginadestroyer" was an ironic joke, glad you saw that.

As a woman, I say we need MORE PODRICKS PLEASE. And I hope they run that joke forever, just like I hope Ros outlives everyone.

And just for the record: we don't want "testo-vaginaDESTROYERS" (as funny as that sounds), we need talented cocksmen who know how to calibrate themselves in order to rub our G-Spots perfectly. You don't want to destroy that vagina. You want to make it happy so it never wants to stop, and will fuck you until your dick falls off.

Men take note: Good sex is hard to come by, many of us enjoy adequate sex, but it's not what we want, or need. Women will crawl over glass for AMAZING sex. That should be your goal.

This post is now hilariously ironic.

Book readers know that Pod goes searching for Tyrion when he flees KL, but in the books the reason for this is quite vague. It could be that he feels abandoned by Tyrion after saving his life and he wants some explanations or maybe even revenge, but it is also hinted (or one could think) that he actually feels something for him. Maybe this Pod macho joke tries to rule out that second option, and focuses more on the 'Tyrion, I will find you and I will want some good answers' motivation. Anyway, even if it is only for the sake of comedy, I like it, it seems D&D try lo lighten up the show a little with these 3 (Bronn, Pod and Tyrion).

Some scenes are built simply for comic relief or to provide a little more exposure for a character who hasn't been given much to that point and there is no greater meaning intended. This is clearly one of them. No need to overanalyze...

agreed, I think we are reading to much in to the TV show as if we would with GRRMs writing, it was a cheap attempt at comic relief, IMO the time could have been put to much better use but what ever, it is what it is, it happened so I guess there is nothing let to do but laugh about it

• 1 year later...

As I am hoping he is the son of Robert and Cersei I am hoping it is showing some resemblance to his fathers greatness between the sheets as they have shown him to be clear headed in battle and not so much at other times.... Pretty sure that's how Tyrian describes him at one point .

Archived