TV Tommen [Spoilers]

AManofManyFaces

i hope that they either do change the actor, or give him some voice acting lessons, cos there's a scene in season 2 where he's says something to cersei and he quite blatantly has a scouse (liverpool) accent which is completely out of place and quite funny actually.

The actor who plays him, Callum Wharry, is from Northern Ireland, and I did not get a Liverpudlian accent when I listened to him. But then again, he spoke all of two lines.

Why is this even a problem? Keep the same actor and keep him around as often as he has been up until now. Put him in scenes, give him the occasional line of dialogue and keep the full time actors doing the main acting. I don't remember Tommen having any particularly lengthy conversations of any importance that can't be changed around a bit.

Tommen is adorable and likeable in the books but his guilelessness is a little over the top, I could see them downplaying some of his dopier elements. Especially if they've got an older kid playing him. They've already toned tone a few characters or taken a slightly different approach with them, making them less of a caricature/cartoon. I mean I don't see them making Tommen all that different, just a little less goofy.

I don't really see them re-casting him after that one scene with Cersei and the poison in S2, but eh, maybe I'm over-estimating its memorability.

That kid is going to go through puberty with Natalie Dormer pretending she is his wife. Its all down hill for him after this.

ahahahaha, +1 this post.

It isn't the most challenging role, is it? He doesn't have to do anything like Arya, or even Bran, he basically sits around being a little kid. Unless, in the future books, he rebels and does some cool shit.

This, pretty much. Also, I have serious doubts about Tommen's longevity in the books in any case.

They didn't replace Selyse's actor. Selyse just had't shown up yet. The Mountain is the other example of actor-switching, but it wasn't intentional as it was with Beric.

Selyse was in Ep. 2.01. When Stannis is walking back to Dragonstone, the woman he gestures to walk beside him is Selyse. They mention it in the audio commentary track on the Blu-ray. She's not credited, but it was Belfast-based actress named Sarah MacKeever.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made a definite decision to keep him out of this season so that he can be more easily recast in season 4 when they are going to need someone with some acting ability.

Agreed. I don't think they've decided yet, but they are keeping their options open.

It isn't the most challenging role, is it? He doesn't have to do anything like Arya, or even Bran, he basically sits around being a little kid. Unless, in the future books, he rebels and does some cool shit.

Just as Joffrey as a character was significantly altered by being aged a couple of years, Tommen should be also. In the books, a nine year old is a non entity that can be easily controlled by his mother and the Council. A 12 year old not so much, specially if it's played by a 16 year old (that would be Callum's age in season 4, I think). They'll need to give the character some more agency.

Also, a lot of scenes that happen offscreen in the books will have to be shown, such as his flirting/manipulation with Margaery. I don't know if Callum will be able to sustain a scene with Dormer. To be fair, he did fine in his scene with Cersei at Blackwater, but there he just had to act as an innocent frightened child. It's much easier than playing a gullible teenager torn between devotion to his mother and infatuation with his older wife.

As long as they get the right kittens to play Ser Pounce, Boots, and Lady Whiskers, that is crucial. Or are they going to combine them into one character?

For real though, it doesn't matter much if they keep the same actor or not. I can see them recasting so that Tommen is still a child. The whole point of Tommen as king is that he is a child, and the Lannisters and Tyrells are vying to rule through him. If he's older (like, 13+), it doesn't work as well. But they could change the storyline a bit, who knows.

I would like to see Callum Wharry kept in the role of Tommen as long as he's able to act. I would prefer if recasting would be kept to the very minimum, unless it's needed for better actors. I think it would be an interesting adaptation change to have Tommen be in his early teens. Without making any major changes, I think it would be interesting to see Tommen grow up to to be a decent human being who has a good relationship with Margaery but lacks the cynicism, worldliness and manipulative attitude of the rest of the Lannisters. So essentially Tommen will be a sweet young king who occasionally questions how the kingdom is run but is easily manipulated by Margaery, Cersei and the other Lannisters. Basically make him an idealist...a bit like a male Sansa.

They recast Bobby in Mad Men all the time.

And to me the ever-shifting identity of Don and Betty's son (what are we on now, Bobby #5?) is disconcerting. I prefer it when they pick an actor and stick with him or her.

If Callum Wharry can act...and we don't know that he can't...he should be given a chance to do so.

I agree with the sentiment of "don't recast unless it's absolutely necessary" - like, we're talking Callum shooting up three feet or having acting chops like the stableboy Arya kills in S1 kind of necessary. It's different for backshots like Selyse back in S2, but even for a minor character like Tommen it feels very weird and soap opera-ish when a completely different kid is swapped after the character's had face time on camera.

As long as they get the right kittens to play Ser Pounce, Boots, and Lady Whiskers, that is crucial. Or are they going to combine them into one character?

I'm boycotting HBO and D&D forever if they botch the adaptation of these three

You can get rid of Strong Belwas & break my heart, but ok. You can get rid of Patchface and I'll basically want to die, but I'll live. But you can NOT combine Ser Pounce, Boots and Lady Whiskers into one kitten, or GOD FORBID leave them out of the show. I mean... we all have to draw the line somewhere.

I would like to see Callum Wharry kept in the role of Tommen as long as he's able to act. I would prefer if recasting would be kept to the very minimum, unless it's needed for better actors. I think it would be an interesting adaptation change to have Tommen be in his early teens. Without making any major changes, I think it would be interesting to see Tommen grow up to to be a decent human being who has a good relationship with Margaery but lacks the cynicism, worldliness and manipulative attitude of the rest of the Lannisters. So essentially Tommen will be a sweet young king who occasionally questions how the kingdom is run but is easily manipulated by Margaery, Cersei and the other Lannisters. Basically make him an idealist...a bit like a male Sansa.

+1. That will be perfect, anyways, I have't seen any reason to believe Callum is an awful actor, he was ok in the few scenes he had, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Archived