TV Tommen [Spoilers]

AManofManyFaces

I think they will re-cast Tommen. I think they made very poor decision. I bet 90% TV-series watchers don't even remember him.

I don't think they will recast him. Natalie Dormer is in her early 30, I don't think it won't be appropriate to cast 9 year old to play her future husband.

I think after PW, and the proceeding trials, they'll just focus on Cersei as regent, and just have Tommen there to be tickled by Margaery and stamp seals on letters, thats all he does in the books anyways.

I am pretty sure they going to chance his storyline. In seem in TV vision, he is aware what is going.

• 1 month later...

From Winteriscoming.net have unofficial reports.that Tommen been recast.

The stated actor is Dean-Charles Chapman who Martyn Lannister last year.

I was wrong on the reason of recasting since Chapman is older than Whalley. If recall he was the mainly speaking in the two scene he appeared.

This is unofficial

Oh great, now I'll have to explain to the Unsullied "No that's not the kid the bearded guy killed. He just got recast."

I doubt any of them will recognize the kid from his 30 seconds of screentime in a completely different location.

If this is true, it's interesting, because casting Tommen that old really should change the story. Consummation is not impossible now, for instance, and at 15 or so the kid would probably be eager to do so.

I doubt any of them will recognize the kid from his 30 seconds of screentime in a completely different location.

If this is true, it's interesting, because casting Tommen that old really should change the story. Consummation is not impossible now, for instance, and at 15 or so the kid would probably be eager to do so.

Well, they're going to have to write Tommen somewhat differently, because a 15-year-old merrily signing everything that's put in front of him and making plans to outlaw beets is going to come across as implying some degree of cognitive delay as opposed to the sweet innocence of a 10-year-old doing the same thing.

Bumping up TV Tommen's age might be a response to TV Margaery being significantly older than her book self, to reduce the age discrepancy between the actors; I'm not sure how much older TV Margaery is supposed to be, but as excellent as Natalie Dormer's skin is, I'd have trouble believing TV Margaery was any younger than 25.

There's also the uncomfortable connotations associated with a woman in her 20s, who spent Season 3 flirting up a storm with Joffrey, targeting a child with a similar (if purely platonic and not at all sexualized) charm offensive. Even if the writers went to some pains to eliminate any hint of sexuality from Margaery's scenes with TV Tommen, it would probably come across as creepy and reeking of grooming. Aging up TV Tommen so that he's a teenager might make it seem somewhat less icky and predatory, although the writers will probably still run into problems.

Hmm, this is interesting. I'm kinda surprised they're using an a "dead' actor to play him, but It could work.

On the subject of his age, they'll most likely cut out all of the kitten/beet related stuff. It'll be kinda weird seeing Margaery with a 15 year old though, perhaps even more so than if he was kept as a really young child.

At least this confirms Tommen will get some screentime next season, he'll need to be built up, not a lot, but still decently built up as a character for Season 5.

Well Tommen is not 15 years old, he is 9/10 and mostly stay that way. Just cause they change actor they will not change the character to match.

I do understand the consumation and was my reasoning for re-casting down age. Newstar your reasons for an older actor in regards to Tommen/Margaery make alot of sense and having too much a difference in age could cause an unexpected backlash if concerning content I was not considering. The character can young but having an older actor can lessen the uneasiness. I am thinking of Tyrion/Sasa "bed" scene where they stated Sansa 14 buy since Sophia Turner is oldet and the character looks older what was being discuss was not as jarring as if Sansa/actress look like a 14 year old.

I will say the actor can play young and barring major puberty changes (another of my reason for younger) will be alright.

The beets can go but the Kittens better stay.

Well Tommen is not 15 years old, he is 9/10 and mostly stay that way. Just cause they change actor they will not change the character to match.

There's no way they're going to cast a 15 year old and try to pass him off as 10. That's far more jarring than 16-year-old Sophie as 14-year-old Sansa.

My Unsullied are eagle-eyed. Just terrible with names.

There's no way they're going to cast a 15 year old and try to pass him off as 10. That's far more jarring than 16-year-old Sophie as 14-year-old Sansa.

Tommen can be 11, 12 pushing with puberty. They are not going to make the character the same age as Sansa all the sudden.

I am just happy knowing Tommen will be back. Do not care how odd but it did throw me abit when he was not in a single scene last season. I will be interested in what they will do.

It has to be a response to aging up Marg. Not to make it less creepy (I hope) but because the whole point of any royal wedding is royal babies. Leave Tommen as a 7 year old marrying a 30 year old, and your expecting offspring from a 40 year old woman, without modern medicine, at the younger range, you also want a good half dozen pregnancies, in order to get a male baby to adulthood, preferably with a backup as well.

This is asking a fair bit of a modern era 40 year old, let alone Medieval era

Despite being played by a 30 year old actress, I think Marg is supposed to be in her early twenties at the oldest.

I don't quite understand why Dormer's age is constantly used in this context when almost every actor/actress on the show is playing a character younger than their age. It's kind of a Hollywood thing.

We aren't supposed to think that Tyrion is 44 the way Peter Dinklage is. We weren't supposed to think Robb was 27 the way Richard Maddon is. And Margaery is not supposed to be 31 the way Dormer is. She's supposed to be in her mid-20's.

Archived