So i have started to read books

Rodion Felix

I actually watch the tv series first. And i was not sure if i would even read the books since i have never been a big fan of fantasy books. But i like fantasy when it is on tv. But i have to say that A Song of Ice and Fire are the first fantasy books that i have read and liked.

That is all

Same here, this is my first fantasy series that I'm reading. :) I must say that the books has helped me tremendously with things that I didn't understand in the show. It's also really great to read alot of the background information and history.

I am so glad I started reading and finished the books before I watched ANY episode. That made it very entertaining, and gave me my own visions of Martin's characters before they could be tainted by the show.

Not saying the show didn't cast well, on the contrary. Very well done. Can't wait for episode 9 in season 3...... just saying... first two seasons they put in the BIG events on episode 9 for both.

You'll see... you'll all see...

valar morghulis

I am so glad I started reading and finished the books before I watched ANY episode. That made it very entertaining, and gave me my own visions of Martin's characters before they could be tainted by the show.

It's kinda half and half for me believe it or not. Some of the actors on the show I can totally picture in the books but some descriptions of the characters differ so much from the show that I just come up with my own image. I try my best to separate books from shows/movies. I did the same thing with the Harry Potter series. (Does Harry Potter count as fantasy? If it does than I sorta take back what I said lol).

Not saying the show didn't cast well, on the contrary. Very well done. Can't wait for episode 9 in season 3...... just saying... first two seasons they put in the BIG events on episode 9 for both.

valar morghulis

I watched seasons 1 and 2 of the show before picking up the books, and just got slightly ahead of the show before the episode this last sunday and everytime I am reading about characters that were cast for the show, I always imagine them in my head. It almost makes me wish that I would have read the whole series before watching...the books really are much more fulfilling.

valar morghulis

I know what you mean, I also can't wait ;)

For any readers still on chapter one, the challenge is to get ~60 chapters in before S03 E09 airs :D

I watched the whole first season first, and, as it always happens for me, i end up reading the original source for the series/movie which is usually a lot more fleshed out (for obvious reasons) Little did I know I'd end up reading all 5 books in a row! :lol: and I still haven't watched the 2nd or 3rd seasons yet!! (Didn't want to watch it while I was still reading the books :P)

It's gotta be one of the most inmersive stories I've ever experienced :)

I watched the whole first season first, and, as it always happens for me, i end up reading the original source for the series/movie which is usually a lot more fleshed out (for obvious reasons) Little did I know I'd end up reading all 5 books in a row! :lol: and I still haven't watched the 2nd or 3rd seasons yet!! (Didn't want to watch it while I was still reading the books :P)

It's gotta be one of the most inmersive stories I've ever experienced :)

Same here, you need to get on to the next two seasons ASAP though, they're awesome!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of fiction books, especially fantasy stories. My sister got me watching Game of Thrones. I had also read Dark, Dark Were the Tunnels by GRRM. It is scifi but it was a pretty awesomely written short story. Figure I might as well try the books out. I'm glad I did.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Though I actually read the books before watching the show, I was surprised at how quickly I read through them and how much I loved them since, I'm not usually a big reader. But I can make an exception for GRRM, he's just too damn good not to read his stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the 1st book was little tiresome for me as most of the things that happened in the TV series happened in the book (I say this the other way as I saw the TV series 1st :P ). However I enjoyed reading book 2 onwards as the plots were very different from the TV series and that made it interesting to read

• 2 weeks later...

I also watched the TV series first and I have just finished the first book and plan to start reading the second one soon. I don't usually read fantasy books, but I love fantasy shows/films. However I love these buts, they are magical and very easy to get lost in, my main aim for reading them is that I want to know what happens next and not wait until next spring to find out!

Archived