Why did Sansa marry Tyrion.

AvengerofWinterfell

Maybe someone can help me out here. I know that Tywin brokered the marriage of Tyrion to Sansa in order to prevent her from being wed to a Tyrell, but why did Sansa agree to it? Even if she didnt object when it was prompted to her, she couldve objected during the ceremony or simply not said the vows. I know the Laws of Westeros dont give many rights to women, but I believe it does offer them that one. Seeing as how she had no love for Tyrion and she knew the Tyrell offer was out there, why go through with marrying Tyrion? Did I miss something?

She married him because she was a hostage and had know choice in the matter, unless she wanted to be maimed, or killed she chose the later.

It was either or a rehash of the rape argument.

*gasp* guys, I think we just broke one of the laws of Boardology!

what happened here tonight was far nobler and better than a rehash of the rape argument, I'd say keep it going but it's only a matter of time before lockdown...

well in the OP's defense, it sounded like he/she skimmed(didn't read? burned?) the Sansa chapters... oh, wait... :D

Eta yup #5

http://asoiaf.wester...231-boardology/

Dont worry, Im sure someone will eventually bring it up and restore the balance in this form. Its only a matter of time...

Your opinion about text is not textual evidence.

I think that she could have done something, I said nothing about "tangible benefits" her chances of success would be small bu not nonexistent, but you are right in one thing I'm putting stop to this, this debate leads nowhere.

So she could have either got married against her will or beaten, abused and married against her will then. Are you actually arguing she should have gone for the second option? Your argument in this case makes no sense to me at all.

Theon, Sansa and Arya all make decisions to apply sense and survival instincts instead if pointless grandstanding.

Eta yup #5

Omg that thread. That was good times.

I dont think Ice Turtle is arguing that Sansa should have chosen option B. Only that option B existed. Option B is a nasty road full of lots of brambles, crocodiles, and zombies with boards with nails in it. But it was an option. I believe that was her argument.

Eta yup #5

I just reread all of boardology. It as the best of times..., it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness..., it was the age of light..., it was the spring of hope. :wub:

Hope you are doing well WK.

I just reread all of boardology. It as the best of times..., it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness..., it was the age of light..., it was the spring of hope. :wub:

Will we have another boardology thread, Winter`s King? It would be nice.

Sansa, I was a little annoyed that she submitted to Cersei, but she is terrified by Cersei at this point (why she didn't see Cercei's true nature before K.L is still a mystery to me).

Maybe because unlike seemingly many other children in Westeros, she has fairly realistic levels of maturity and level-headed decision making for her age. :)

Sansa is married to Tyrion because she is Sansa.

She is a noble ewe. She goes along to get along. Would Arya have married Tyrion? No. Would Arya have lain herself naked in front of Tyrion and his boner? No. Would Sansa have run if she was the one with Syrio when the guards came to get her? No. She was on board with the Lannister program, and now she's on board with the Littlefinger program. By the time she was getting dressed for the wedding, her bed was already made. She couldn't have done anything about it then. Who made that bed? Sansa did.

Are we talking about the same Arya who became a "mouse" in Harrenhall? The same Arya who said nothing when a charming old lady suggested raping her with a broom? Arya works very hard to survive. So does Sansa. Both have a good feeling for how much rebellion they can or cannot afford.

Concerning the Lannister/LF program this is so ridiculous, I can´t even.... These people have her hit with iron cloves in her stomage, they forced her into a marriage with a man who fights against her family, they stripped her in front of the court, they perved on her etc. Did you miss all of the passages in the book where Sansa misses her family, rebuilds Winterfell as a snow castle, reminds herself whose daughter she in fact is and finds comfort in the howling of wolves?

Are we talking about the same Arya who became a "mouse" in Harrenhall? The same Arya who said nothing when a charming old lady suggested raping her with a broom? Arya works very hard to survive. So does Sansa. Both have a good feeling for how much rebellion they can or cannot afford.

Yes, sometimes I wonder if people avoid reading both Sansa's and Arya's chapters. It's right there, in the text.

Instead it seems people skim and just reduce Arya to a caricature Tomboy and Sansa to a similar caricature of a Damsel in distress. Which does both of their story lines a disservice.

Instead it seems people skim and just reduce Arya to a caricature Tomboy and Sansa to a similar caricature of a Damsel in distress. Which does both of their story lines a disservice.

I believe that many readers use this oversimplification in order to fit both of the girls in stereotypes they are accustomed. But, for me, GRRM does this amazing things where he breaks the mold, and transform stereotype into something wonderfully unique.

Eta yup #5

Omg that thread. That was good times.

OMG boardology.... that's possibly the best thread I've missed, ever... screw the fatmoot! (well don't, it's kinda great :D) but this is gold!

"all thread lead to stannis" "rofl"

I feel nostalgic, even though I've never even posted on it :D

it's too much... I have to go and crack up for the next few hours... ;)

Well of course she had a choice, there is always a choice. Either marry Tyrion and save herself some pain and perhaps her death. Or decide not too and face the wrath of Tywin and Cersei, more so than she already has. Even if she objected and the Faith said the marriage can not continue, the Faith was in no postion to do anything about her being held by the Lannisters.

What an excellent point! Sometimes people forget that both Arya and Sansa are young girls who are stuck in hostile environments with much different weapons at their disposal.

Arya is STILL a 9yr old girl, who so very often thinks about her mother! People think she's becoming some sort of murderous, feelingless killer, while her acts are acts of self preservation and grief. Both Sansa and Arya spend the last 4 books grieving, over and over again. First at the loss of Ned, then the boys, then Robb and Cat. While their responses are different, neither have actually grown up yet, and Arya spends a long time being "Nan" or a little mouse with no voice.

I think the best way to describe their ways is parallel: yes they do not intersect, but also they don't diverge from each other. In their own way, they follow each other around each obstacle they face as a family.

On a personal note, it really irritates me when someone says Sansa or Arya are better than the other. They are so different in personality, yet alike in their capacity for survival, for learning, for adaptability.

What an excellent point! Sometimes people forget that both Arya and Sansa are young girls who are stuck in hostile environments with much different weapons at their disposal.

Arya is STILL a 9yr old girl, who so very often thinks about her mother! People think she's becoming some sort of murderous, feelingless killer, while her acts are acts of self preservation and grief. Both Sansa and Arya spend the last 4 books grieving, over and over again. First at the loss of Ned, then the boys, then Robb and Cat. While their responses are different, neither have actually grown up yet, and Arya spends a long time being "Nan" or a little mouse with no voice.

I think the best way to describe their ways is parallel: yes they do not intersect, but also they don't diverge from each other. In their own way, they follow each other around each obstacle they face as a family.

On a personal note, it really irritates me when someone says Sansa or Arya are better than the other. They are so different in personality, yet alike in their capacity for survival, for learning, for adaptability.

They are different and I think if their roles were reversed arya would have spit on Jeffrey's face and get herself killed and Sansa would have killed herself the moment yoren cut off her beautiful hair.

They are different and I think if their roles were reversed arya would have spit on Jeffrey's face and get herself killed and Sansa would have killed herself the moment yoren cut off her beautiful hair.

I think you're right about Arya, she's too hotheaded.

However with Sansa that's an exaggeration. She wouldn't have killed herself because of cutting off her hair, what she would fail at is convincingly pretending to be a boy. In any case, if the roles were reversed, there's no way Yoren would try to disguise her as a boy! She's starting to develop a womanly body, it's too obvious. It works with Arya because she's tiny and skinny enough to pull it off. Yoren would probably try something different like pass her off as a commoner, oh I don't know, wineseller? Pigfarmer's daughter? anything really...

Archived