Valyrian Blades

Blaer Dayle

So I've recently been thinking about the Valyrian swords/greatswords/longswords/daggers/arakhs/etc, and where the known ones are, where the unknown ones are, and just generally thinking up theories for how they might yet come into play. Also, I'm still upset that Ice was destroyed simply for Lannister pride. Now bear in mind I'm not saying any of this will happen, but it is interesting to think about all the same, and I'd like to hear any theories you might have about the blades.

So, the missing blades:

Blackfyre: The sword of Aegon I, passed down the royal line until the Blackfyre rebellion (also where Daemon Balackfyre pulled his family name from). It later came into possession of the Golden Company and its whereabouts are currently unknown. Since the Golden Company is currently working with Young Griff (Who is supposedly Rhaegar's son, Aegon Targaryen) perhaps the sword will be given to him as the rightful inheritor of the royal line. Or maybe since the Company also supports Dany's claim, maybe it will somehow come into her possession.

Dark Sister: The sword of Visenya Targaryen. The last known owner was Bloodraven. Since Bloodraven is likely the Three Eyed Crow, it is possible that he still might have the sword, and might pass it off to Bran, who could warg Hodor and use it? Also it is Arya's favorite sword according to the show (I'm unsure if that was mentioned in the book), and don't forget that Dan and David have been given the basic outline of the whole story and have said they're dropping hints every now and again, that people won't understand until after the final book comes out. It would take some maneuvering, but perhaps Arya could somehow get Dark Sister and learn how to use it.

Brightroar: The ancestral sword of House Lannister, lost when Tommen II travelled with it to Valyria (Gerion Lannister also went missing in search of it) Considering how close Tyrion is to Valyria right now perhaps he could find it somehow and bring it back (Victarion is coming with the dragon horn, maybe it wasn't the only artifact Euron recovered in Valyria). I doubt he would use it, but perhaps Jaime?

Also, the technique for making Valyrian steel:

Lost when the Doom struck Valyria, but perhaps it has something to do with Dragon's fire? That fire can melt stone, and forge blades into a throne, so I imagine it could forge some strong steel, and if the Dragon Steel mentioned in the books at the wall really is Valyrian Steel it would further support the theory. Could Dany create the first new Valyrian Steel seen in centuries in The Land of Ice and Fire? if the maesters are correct it would be the ultimate weapon to use against the Others, which is likely where Dany's story is headed anyway.

These were just some random ideas that I had, and I'd like to hear some other opinions on Valyrian steel/the lost swords/etc. So debate away, and feel free to disagree with me, I'm not particularly attached to these theories, I just thought they were interesting and worth mentioning on the board.

Aren't there also Valyrian steel daggers in existence as well? Like the one that Joffrey stole from his father, and gave to the assassin to kill Bran with?

I wonder if Valyrian Steel daggers are more common. I'd guess Yes, since I assume swords would be harder to make and therefore there wouldn't be as many of them.

Randyll Tarly has a Valyrian steel greatsword, as well. Isn't there also an axe floating around on Westeros, somewhere? I'm curious, though, as to how these houses got them originally. I'd love to hear the story of how some ancient Stark came to possess Ice...

Saved up some pocketmoney and traded with some Valyrian weaponsmith?

Good topic, I think that the missing Lannister blade, Brightroar will come into the story at some point, because of exactly what you said, Tyrion could well pass Valyria, (I mean we have to have at least one character take a tour of it) and could find Gerion just chilling with the sword.

There's two Valyrian steel swords in the Iron Islands: Red Rain (of House Drumm) and Nightfall (of House Harlaw). House Celtigar holds Crab's Pincer, which I believe is an ax. I'm not sure how many more Valyrian steel weapons there are.

The Corbrays have one as well, as I recall. Ser Lyn Corbray (the younger brother of the current lord Corbray) earned the right to wield it after distinguishing himself in Robert's Rebellion.

Indeed, there are others that we know about that are still accounted for and held by houses these would be:

Lady Forlorn: Which is held by House Corbray as mentioned already

Red Rain: Dagon is right, Reyne ancestral sword but claimed by a Drumm reaver for his house

Heartsbane: which Randyll Tarly owns

Nightfall: Sword of House Harlaw of the Iron Islands

Crab's Pincer: An ancestral axe of House Celtigar of Claw Isle

Longclaw: We all know where this one is

Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper: reforged from Ice

An Arakh: Carried by Caggo

and the dagger: Currently held by Littlefinger

There are likely some other small daggers and such, that have never been mentioned as well as swords that are held by people in Essos

Dark Sister: The sword of Visenya Targaryen. The last known owner was Bloodraven. Since Bloodraven is likely the Three Eyed Crow, it is possible that he still might have the sword, and might pass it off to Bran, who could warg Hodor and use it? Also it is Arya's favorite sword according to the show (I'm unsure if that was mentioned in the book), and don't forget that Dan and David have been given the basic outline of the whole story and have said they're dropping hints every now and again, that people won't understand until after the final book comes out. It would take some maneuvering, but perhaps Arya could somehow get Dark Sister and learn how to use it.

Other then BR being the last owner, I pretty much disagree with this whole paragraph. Why would they have given BR the sword back? Why would they let him take the last family sword to the Wall? D & D knew a lot, and where told some, but GRRM has said, more then once, they don't know everything.

Some of the Valyrian steel blades have been in Westeros longer, 400 to 500 years, than the Conquest of Westeros by the Targaryens, 300 years ago; whyfor?

and good detail:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Valyrian_steel#List_of_known_Valyrian_steel_blades

and good visual:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/128579319/game-of-thrones-the-valyrian-steel

just learned this: "thousands of Valyrian steel weapons survived the Doom of Valyria, perhaps two hundred or more being in the Seven Kingdoms"

http://awoiaf.wester...t#Special_Items

and 'SSM' GRRM states 1. magic required, and 2. no new Valyrian steel since the Doom:

"There is magic involved in the making of Valyrian steel."

[...could he take some fresh, high-quality steel and produce an equally fine sword?]

Not unless he could work the magic.

[...be re-forged but not made from scratch]

That's pretty much been the situation since the Doom of Valyria

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1153/

Other then BR being the last owner, I pretty much disagree with this whole paragraph. Why would they have given BR the sword back? Why would they let him take the last family sword to the Wall? D & D knew a lot, and where told some, but GRRM has said, more then once, they don't know everything.

Fair enough, but I can't see why the sword would not be in use otherwise. Maybe it's somewhere in King's Landing, or Dragonstone just waiting to be found.

In the first Blackfyre rebellion, Gwayne Corbray dueled Daemon Blackfyre, which was known to be the only duel in history where both combatants wielded Valyrian steel.. It would be pretty awesome if there was another duel like that :) (maybe Brienne finds about Sansa being in the Vale, goes there, and comes into conflict with Lyn Corbray?)

In the first Blackfyre rebellion, Gwayne Corbray dueled Daemon Blackfyre, which was known to be the only duel in history where both combatants wielded Valyrian steel.. It would be pretty awesome if there was another duel like that :) (maybe Brienne finds about Sansa being in the Vale, goes there, and comes into conflict with Lyn Corbray?)

That would be something to see. Or even Randyll Tarly, vs whichever Drumm or Harlaw has their ancestral swords would be interesting, since he's defending the Reach right now.

There's also Dawn, the ancestral sword of House Dayne.

Also, what about the maesters of the citadel? They must have plenty of valyrian steel lying around as i believe the most prestigious ones go on the forge a valyrian steel link in their chain.

Also, what about the maesters of the citadel? They must have plenty of valyrian steel lying around as i believe the most prestigious ones go on the forge a valyrian steel link in their chain.

Dawn is not valyrian steel, but it's somewhat similar. Supposedly it was forged from metal fallen from the sky.

Dawn is another question altogether, it was carved out of a meteorite if I recall correctly. Although it would be interesting to see how it will play into things as well.

I assume the Maesters have a limited amount of Vayrian steel, Luwin says that not many maesters study the magical arts, and they can just reuse the links after the maester dies, I imagine the body is returned to the citadel under normal circumstances.

Archived