Best Fighter in Westeros?

BeWareOfMyHouse

We're talking post-AFFC here. Who's the best FIGHTER alive in Westeros in 300-301 AL?

Sword, axe, fire, whatever. Please note that at this point Jaime Lannister has one hand, Barristan Selmy is on the verge of applying for membership to the AARP, and we're not talking about being a battle commander. Someone like Stannis Baratheon or Victarion Greyjoy doesn't get to be the best one-on-one fighter just because he's a proven commander.

People like the Dothraki and/or Jorah Mormont don't count, because they're not in Westeros.

I'd probably go with your stereotypical Other. They're seemingly immune to fatigue and pain, they don't bleed, and their swords seem to be harder than normal steel. I'd put my money on an Other in a one-on-one battle with any human character in the world, unless of course the human character was wielding a sword made of obsidian or something.

Also, I think Brienne of Tarth deserves some serious consideration here.

Garlan Tyrell is the number one swordfighter in Westeros right now.

Honorable mentions include Loras Tyrell, Adamm Marbrandd, Lyn Corbray, Yohn Royce, Andrik the Unsmiling, Strongboard Crakehall, and the Greatjohn.

Ser Robert Strong and various other monsters don't count.

Garland Tyrell is the number one swordfighter in Westeros right now.

Ser Robert Strong and various other monsters don't count.

I quite agree on the last part. Isn't Garlan called "The Gallant" for some reason or another?

I'd say that Oberyn Martell was one of the best before he died. Sadly, the War of the Five Kings took out some of the more notable ones.

Tormund Giantsbane seems like a good candidate from the Wildlings. Mance Rayder perhaps as well, seeing as how he defeated so many Wildling leaders to gain their loyalty for his war against the North.

My guess is that it is probably Garland Tyrell, but in time it will be Loras or Jaime once more.

I quite agree on the last part. Isn't Garlan called "The Gallant" for some reason or another?

I'd say that Oberyn Martell was one of the best before he died. Sadly, the War of the Five Kings took out some of the more notable ones.

Tormund Giantsbane seems like a good candidate from the Wildlings. Mance Rayder perhaps as well, seeing as how he defeated so many Wildling leaders to gain their loyalty for his war against the North.

He is called Garlan the Gallant, because he needed a name to distinguish him from his uncle. Garlan the Gross. Jaime was the best before his maiming, At the time of AFFC, probably Garlan out of those we know, though Loras seems to be the more gifted swordsman and when he comes into his full manhood will surpass him.

My guess is that it is probably Garland Tyrell, but in time it will be Loras or Jaime once more.

He is called Garlan the Gallant, because he needed a name to distinguish him from his uncle. Garlan the Gross. Jaime was the best before his maiming, At the time of AFFC, probably Garlan out of those we know, though Loras seems to be the more gifted swordsman and when he comes into his full manhood will surpass him.

If Jaime becomes the best swordsman in Westeros with his LEFT HAND, I'm just going to lose my shit and declare him the God of Warfare.

If Jaime becomes the best swordsman in Westeros with his LEFT HAND, I'm just going to lose my shit and declare him the God of Warfare.

Why Qhorin was the best swordsman on the Wall and seems like one of the best in Westeros with his lefthand. He in time became equally good with his other hand.

Why Qhorin was the best swordsman on the Wall and seems like one of the best in Westeros with his lefthand. He in time became equally good with his other hand.

Well, I'm no expert, but I don't think it's very common for someone to fight right-handed their entire life, and suddenly one day just say "Meh, whatevs. I think I'll just be ambidextrious now."

Well, I'm no expert, but I don't think it's very common for someone to fight right-handed their entire life, and suddenly one day just say "Meh, whatevs. I think I'll just be ambidextrious now."

Common no, but possible and we have a precedent for it. It is not common for someone to become the best swordsman in the land either. The one handed swordsman becoming more dangerous than ever is often used in stories.

Jaime was probably top five, but I'm not convinced there was a best fighter in Westeros at all. I think there's a point with top-of-the-line fighters that whoever actually wins is pretty much due to circumstance.

Would prime Jaime have actually defeated Oberyn Martell? Would Ser Barristan be able to defeat the Mountain? Could whole Jaime stand against the Greatjon? Could Victarion Greyjoy defeat Tormund Giantsbane? Would Sandor defeat Bronn?

It would largely depend on circumstance.

Brienne put the smack down on Jaime so I'm going to have to go with her.

Brienne is very good and probably one of the best at the moment, but she is not Jaime's league. Jaime was weakened and had his hands chained and it was still a very close fight. Brienne herself admits that Jaime is better than her and thinks he is the best in Westeros.

Jaime was probably top five, but I'm not convinced there was a best fighter in Westeros at all. I think there's a point with top-of-the-line fighters that whoever actually wins is pretty much due to circumstance.

Would prime Jaime have actually defeated Oberyn Martell? Would Ser Barristan be able to defeat the Mountain? Could whole Jaime stand against the Greatjon? Could Victarion Greyjoy defeat Tormund Giantsbane? Would Sandor defeat Bronn?

Everything depends on circumstance, but the best would win more often than not. Jaime considers himself the best at the time and he may be arrogant, but he should know a bit about sword fighting. Brienne considers him the best and Selmy does not think their has been a more natural swordsman since he met Jaime.

Yes Jaime would probably defeat Martell more times than not and Barristan in his prime would defeat the Mountain more times than not. Barristan and Jaime are two of the best swordsmen in the history of Westeros.

Brienne put the smack down on Jaime so I'm going to have to go with her.

Are you referring to that nonsense on the show or the books? Beacuse in the books, Jaime was shackled and had been starved for a year and still controlled the fight for most of the time until he got tired due to being out of shape. Everyone involved acknowledges that without shackles, Brienne is dead.

GRRM has made it pretty clear that Jaime is not only the best in Westeros but one of the best all time.

Brienne is very good and probably one of the best at the moment, but she is not Jaime's league. Jaime was weakened and had his hands chained and it was still a very close fight. Brienne herself admits that Jaime is better than her and thinks he is the best in Westeros.

Everything depends on circumstance, but the best would win more often than not. Jaime considers himself the best at the time and he may be arrogant, but he should know a bit about sword fighting. Brienne considers him the best and Selmy does not think their has been a more natural swordsman since he met Jaime.

Yes Jaime would probably defeat Martell more times than not and Barristan in his prime would defeat the Mountain more times than not. Barristan and Jaime are two of the best swordsmen in the history of Westeros.

After Jaime loses his right hand, he spends his nights getting his ass kicked by Ilyn Payne. I would hardly consider Jaime in the top 10,000 swordsmen in Westeros, at this point. Let alone the top few.

Archived