Best Fighter in Westeros?

BeWareOfMyHouse

GRRM has made it pretty clear that Jaime is not only the best in Westeros but one of the best all time.

Source?

That's SI interview claimed that Jaime was arguably the best swordsmen alive, but also claimed that Sandor, Gregor, Loras and even(because of his age) Barristan were all arguably the best alive.

After Jaime loses his right hand, he spends his nights getting his ass kicked by Ilyn Payne. I would hardly consider Jaime in the top 10,000 swordsmen in Westeros, at this point. Let alone the top few.

I never said he was the best at this point. I said he was before and may be again.

After Jaime loses his right hand, he spends his nights getting his ass kicked by Ilyn Payne. I would hardly consider Jaime in the top 10,000 swordsmen in Westeros, at this point. Let alone the top few.

At this point he's not. But i believe he was referring to Jaime before losing his hand

Source?

That's SI interview claimed that Jaime was arguably the best swordsmen alive, but also claimed that Sandor, Gregor, Loras and even(because of his age) Barristan were all arguably the best alive.

Look for it on any of the 1,000,000 greatest swordsman threads or go read some of the SSM stuff. This has all been done and talked about 1,000,000 times before, I'm not willing to rehash it right now. Look at some of that stuff if you are interested.

And it said that Jaime was the best swordsman. He mention those other guys as being the best in their fields, such as Loras with the lance.

But again, this has been done and talked about a million times before. Honestly its a waste of time to look at this stuff again, but if you want to, search the SSM stuff.

We're talking post-AFFC here. Who's the best FIGHTER alive in Westeros in 300-301 AL?

Sword, axe, fire, whatever. ... and we're not talking about being a battle commander. Someone like Stannis Baratheon or Victarion Greyjoy doesn't get to be the best one-on-one fighter just because he's a proven commander.

Although I am not putting forth Victarion as a contender, I want to know why is he not a contender? Victarion not only plans the attacks, but he fights in them. Example is when the Ironborn took the Shield Islands.

Although I am not putting forth Victarion as a contender, I want to know why is he not a contender? Victarion not only plans the attacks, but he fights in them. Example is when the Ironborn took the Shield Islands.

I never said he wasn't allowed to be a contender. I just said that saying "So-and-So won a lot of battles, so he must've been a great individual fighter" was illogical. Robert Baratheon won a ton of battles, but he was also an individual fighter of almost legendary skill. That being said, Robert's dead. The purpose of the thread was to discuss the best fighter in Westeros post-AFFC and post-ADWD, but apparently "It's been done a million times", so I guess the thing is moot now. I'm not concerned with the best fighter ever, like Jaime pre-maiming or Robert Baratheon. I was just asking who people thought was the best, currently.

Are you referring to that nonsense on the show or the books? Beacuse in the books, Jaime was shackled and had been starved for a year and still controlled the fight for most of the time until he got tired due to being out of shape. Everyone involved acknowledges that without shackles, Brienne is dead.

No no, I'm referring to the books. I know, with Jaime at full strength he would be the best fighter, but the OP said it was post - AFFC and IIRC Jaime was still learning to fight with either his left hand or artificial hand which I believe would place Brienne at the top.

Gregor is just a lot of mass, he doesn't have particular skill judging from the way GRRM described him as fighting Oberyn.

Sandor fucking Clegane is the best of them. He has enormous size and also speed and can fight guys while he's drunk.

The Greatjon, Lyn Corbray, Balon Swann, Strongboar, Garlan Tyrell, Aero Hotah, Yohn Royce, Brynden Blackfish, Jason Mallister and Addam Marbrand

Although, come the end of the series, only The Greatjon (and maybe Bronze Yohn & Jason) will still stand... The rest are all knights of summer, and Winter Is Coming.

Excluding Victarion Greyjoy because he is a commander is folly. He kills ~10 people singlehandedly in the invasion of the Shield Islands, and reminisces about how he used to thrash Harrys Harlaw (who defeated 7 consecutive opponents in duels) when they were both younger. He also wishes he could get to fight Jaime or anyone else with a Valyrian weapon.

Sure, he's a somewhat simple minded ox, but his fighting skills are right up there with mr. flowerknight and all the rest of them.

Excluding Victarion Greyjoy because he is a commander is folly. He kills ~10 people singlehandedly in the invasion of the Shield Islands, and reminisces about how he used to thrash Harrys Harlaw (who defeated 7 consecutive opponents in duels) when they were both younger. He also wishes he could get to fight Jaime or anyone else with a Valyrian weapon.

Sure, he's a somewhat simple minded ox, but his fighting skills are right up there with mr. flowerknight and all the rest of them.

Aye- Either Jaime or Barristan (can't recall) at one point muse that the best Knight in Westeros isn't necessarily the best fighter in Westeros: That there's Northmen and Ironborn who could easily crush most Knights. Victarion Greyjoy and the Greatjon are obvious examples of those non-knight warlords... That precisely because Ironborn and Northmen don't take part in them, knightly contests of skill might not really be showing the best fighters in Westeros: The best swordsman could easily be a northman or an ironborn and the knights of westeros would never know about it.

I think it's Barristan who thinks it, 'cause he gives much more thought to knightly virtues and prowess than Jaime does.

Archived