[Book Spoilers] Yara / Victarion merger?

teratomatastic

We've seen already that in some cases (such as the Thirteen and merchant guilds of Qarth) the TV show condenses / merges the characters in order to simplify things for viewers.

I'd love to see Yara's character merged with Victarion in the upcoming Greyjoy kingsmoot post-Balon's death. I feel like it would work really well, and stays true to the character /plot.

She'd be forced to be subservient to Euron because not enough of the houses will recognize her as Balon's heir, etc...

All you'd have to do to change her character is to make her a lesbian.

Plus, it's always awesome having another strong female character. Just sayin'.

Honestly, they both seem to have very different plots going on. Victarion is off across the sea, seeking dragons, and Yara/Asha is off is reuniting with Theon in the North. Both seem like they are about to contribute in two very different storylines. I could see Aeron getting dropped, depending on whether he really has anything to contribute in the next few books, but Vicatrion and Yara seem like they have very different roles to play.

That might actually work out, though if they meant to go that way she would likely have mentioned something about her hatred for Euron earlier. That's a much bigger part of Victarion's character than it was of Asha's.

Also don't see the point of making her lesbian. Euron might as well send a "dusky man" with her, and Victarion's ex-wife could become Yara's ex-lover. Is there any notable (ie on-screen with personality) person with which Victarion had a sexual relationship?

Daenerys is clearly not lesbian, so that marriage plot wouldn't work out in either case. I also get the feeling Asha's way more intelligent than VIctarion and much less brutish. Some motivational rewriting would be needed here, maybe Yara could just seek to use the dragons to overturn Euron, or even an alliance with Dany against him - much as Asha sought to do with Stannis and the Northmen.

I think not, she is important in ADWD as Stannis' captive and for emotional impact of her meting with Theon. Their relationship is important in the show. Besides one of the most important points of kingsmoot is that rivalry between Asha/Yara and Vic leads to Euron being king.

With all due respect, it doesn't really make sense, as both Asha and Euron really dislike and distrust each other. So there's no reason why Euron would give Asha such an important mission to do on his behalf.

And I would hate to see my good ol' maester-drowning, craven-pulverizing buddy Victarion be exempt from the show.

The reason that this won't happen is because the relationship between Yara and Theon has already been established. So there is an emotional draw towards Yara trying to use Theon to regain the Iron Islands.

There is nothing (already established in the show canon) that would point towards her being merged with Vic.

They'd merge all three of Theon's uncles into one before doing that.

I think that may be right , just Victorian and Asha , with Asha following her story line in the books.

Victorian can stand in for the three as you say.

Why would she need to be a Lesbian?

And I'm not sure what you would gain by a merge. Would she stay with Theon/the North or would she go off to fetch Dany? That's two very different storylines, you can't have both.

The latter storyline is actually a rather short one. We need to see the Kingsmoot, the decision to go for Dany and continue to plunder the Reach (while Euron wants to do only the first) and then the Moqorro plot which is a few scenes only as well.

Aeron will be included probably, but only as a "generic Kingsmoot" moderator, not necessarily as another uncle.

This is a nightmare scenario. A Feast for Crows is ALL about the Greyjoys. I understand that some readers didn't like Feast (I also understand some reader need to have their plot fed to them threw a twisty-straw) but you can't change one of the major plot points of the entire series because 25% of your fan base wanted to see dragons eat people sooner. D&D understand this. While, and it truly pains me to say this, The Reader might get thrown overboard. There's no way Theon's uncles will be shoved off the same plank.

(see what I did there?)

With all due respect, it doesn't really make sense, as both Asha and Euron really dislike and distrust each other. So there's no reason why Euron would give Asha such an important mission to do on his behalf.

And I would hate to see my good ol' maester-drowning, craven-pulverizing buddy Victarion be exempt from the show.

Then again, Victarion and Euron also hate each other, well at least Victarion despises and dislikey Euron. It would be similar to the books, in that Euron is sending away a potential rival. Ofc, I dont think this will happen in any case.

It's true, Victarion's rampage across the ocean will make great television.

Do y'all listen to any casting news, like seriously because if you did then you would know that they are casting all three Greyjoy brothers next season Aeron, Victarion, and Euron.

They casted all Baratheon brothers right?

And they didn't merge any Starks brothers, hell they even kept Kevan Lannister so what makes you think they'll merge the Greyjoy brothers?

Do y'all listen to any casting news, like seriously because if you did then you would know that they are casting all three Greyjoy brothers next season Aeron, Victarion, and Euron.

And they didn't merge any Starks brothers, hell they even kept Kevan Lannister so what makes you think they'll merge the Greyjoy brothers?

Where was that announced?

Well, the expectation is that much of FfC and DwD will be cut because 1) It wouldnt make good television and 2) The sheer number of characters and new locations could prove disorientating. The first three books on the other hand have stronger stories, and are more focused.

It would shoot the storyline to shit, and I don't see why they would want to sacrifice an awesome character like Victarion.

Ain't gonna happen. In any case, we're probably not gonna see Victarion introduced until they start covering Feast for Crows events, probably in season 5.

I could honestly see them merging Victarion and Euron, at least as far as we've seen them go in five books. Not that I would prefer they do, but we've seen similar instances in the show so far. Basically, Euron shows up, claims the seastone chair, raids the west, and decides to go get his dragon queen and dragons himself. They could keep the main parts of both stories, and leave out a lot of the details (like the first wife back story).

Depending on GRRM's plans, this might not be possible because of events in books six and seven (eight?, nine, lol?).

Whatever they do, they better not cut Victarion's duel with the Serry heir. That was one of my favorite chapters to read.

Makes sense. There's no way they're going to follow ALL of the Greyjoy POVs and with Damphair cut, it would make sense to cut Victarion as well.

I love how people post stuff like this without citing any source.

And why would you even put the Greyjoy brothers on the same level as that of the Starks or Lannisters? And there have been a LOT of Lannisters that were cut.

Simply put, the Greyjoy storylines are some of the least relevant to the overall story of ASoIaF, so it makes sense to do as much trimming with them as possible. Same thing with the Martells.

I think we'll get both Euron and Victarion, but not Aeron. And I also think that a lot of readers will be surprised at how engaging the Iron Islands story line can be, assuming they cast charismatic and magnetic actors for these roles (Ray Stevenson for Vic!).

Archived