[Book Spoilers] Yara / Victarion merger?

teratomatastic

That's got to be a typo. It's impossible! Surely he meant Euron. That must be it. Yeah, I'm going with that.

Euron Damphair, then. I doubt it, though his choice is, to say the least, unexpected, albeit I think we can safely assume that Aeron will have a considerably larger chance of being cast, as he seemed a fairly dispensable character, not having done anything that required him to be more than a, more or less, random priest of the Drowned God, this implying that Damphair is, by far, less significant than all his brothers, except, of course, Urrigon who died long before the book timeline.

To be honest, I can barely remember anything about the Ironborn from Feast or Dance. Am I underestimating Aeron and Euron's relevancy?

I agree with you, I have to go back and review summary's , I can remember the names Aeron and Euron , but not who they were!

Except that remember Euron was a nut.

I hope they'll just merge a couple of the uncles, victarion and aeron's chapters, at least, until the last book, were both boring and unnecessary (did we really need three pov's to cover the kingsmoot?)

but, since bcog likes aeron, unfortunately we will probably see a lot of screen time devoted to aeron. boo.

I'm very concerned that Bryan passingly said Jeyne Poole isn't in the show. Whether he means to this point, or just not yet introduced, I'm not sure. If they completely get rid of the fake Arya plot I'm gonna be so pissed off. She's pretty much the catalyst for Theon's redemption. It also gets rid off one of my favorite scenes from the whole series, Theon jumping off the walls of Winterfell with Jeyne.

On the topic of the Greyjoys, I personally loved them. They're a nice break from the main stories which kind of went to shit in the fourth and fifth books, save for Jon. I love Vic and Euron's conversation and the deep, messed up history between them. I'm a little indifferent to Aeron, but I definitely don't want to see him gone or merged in the show. Plus George himself said that he would have a huge part to play in tWoW. The show kept Myrcella going to Dorne (hell you can even see Arys sitting next to her) so I doubt they'd remove him, and merging him is as good as removing him as well. Is it really so hard to just have another Greyjoy brother? They kept Kevan, who to this point has done next to nothing (but I still love his character) and Lancel sleeping with Cersei, which I'm sure will be brought back up when Jaime confronts him.

On Dorne, I believe Arianne will accompany Oberyn to King's Landing, as others do, and this is a smart move. We'll obviously get Doran, probably Quentyn, though that I'm less sure, despite his underrated importance, and maybe two or three Sand Snakes, but definitely not all of them. Areo isn't needed in the show because they're not sticking to the book POV system.

For those complaining about the Iron Islands and Dorne chapters in aFfC, there actually weren't that many of them. Five Iron Island chapters and four Dorne chapters. Oh my, nine chapters in a book full of over 40, how terrible. On TV I think these chapters, plus other stuff with the characters would be great. The Kingsmoot, Vic seizing the Shield Isles, and Arianne's betrayal will all be epic and great TV. Plus Arianne is incredibly hot, and I have faith the show will cast an appropriately beautiful woman for her. And I fully support Ray Stevenson for Vic. I'd also love James Purefoy for Euron, but that seems less likely.

No, but the role of Aeron isn't as much tied to being a brother to the other Greyjoys as it is to being a "crazy priest of the drowned god with lots of popularity among the Ironborn". It might be easier to introduce him as that and just forget about the familial relations, his abuse by Euron as a child can be moved to Victarion if they want to include it... (or was that Victarion as well, see, it's not that important).

I agree we can keep that and there will be few scenes. Take for example you mentioning the Shield Isles. We probably won't get that and instead have the (aftermath of a) battle on ships before the coast of the Reach. If they want to, they can move these scenes to the place of the Kingsmoot as well though.

Aeron Damphair is one of my favorite characters, I don't understand all the hate he gets

Because all of his chapters are like:

Aeron walked down to the sea, where the drowned god lived, because he loved the sea, and the drowned god. As the waves that the drowned god sent crashed over him, he said a silent prayer to the drowned god. "I love you, drowned god", he said. Then, he left the sea, but didn't dry off, because being covered in seawater was a gift from the drowned god. Covered in water, he ate the clams that the drowned god gave him, saying another silent prayer to the drowned god. But then, two men om horseback approached him. Aeron didn't like horses, because they were NOT a gift from the drowned god. "don't bother me, I'm praying to the drowned god", he told the heathens who rode their non- sea horses.

and on and on and on just like that. To each their own I guess, but to me, his chapters are as interesting as watching paint dry.

No, but the role of Aeron isn't as much tied to being a brother to the other Greyjoys as it is to being a "crazy priest of the drowned god with lots of popularity among the Ironborn". It might be easier to introduce him as that and just forget about the familial relations, his abuse by Euron as a child can be moved to Victarion if they want to include it... (or was that Victarion as well, see, it's not that important).

I agree we can keep that and there will be few scenes. Take for example you mentioning the Shield Isles. We probably won't get that and instead have the (aftermath of a) battle on ships before the coast of the Reach. If they want to, they can move these scenes to the place of the Kingsmoot as well though.

Yeah, I could definitely see them play off Aeron as a very minor character who just happens to be involved with the Kingsmoot. If his relations to the Greyjoys are mentioned at all, they don't have to be expounded upon. Then we could have Euron immediately send Victarion east with the Iron Fleet, with the attack on the Shield Isles compressed into a single scene if it's included at all. Then they could mostly deal with the Ironborn attacks on the Reach from afar, at least until Sam gets close to Oldtown.

My guess...but honestly, I suck at guessing...would be that we'll have Aeron. Maybe with a little bit of The Reader thrown in, not sure what will be the family relation. Yara is going to need someone to talk to to give exposition on life in the Iron Islands and who everyone else is and what is going on. Since we don't get a POV from Euron, I think it's possible that he might be combined with Victarion. Difficult to predict though since we don't know Euron's importance in the upcoming books. And to just cast an actor for the King's Moot then abandon them (hey, look...Euron's still on the Iron Throne, duh..Seastone Chair next!)...?

Aeron walked down to the sea, where the drowned god lived, because he loved the sea, and the drowned god. As the waves that the drowned god sent crashed over him, he said a silent prayer to the drowned god. "I love you, drowned god", he said. Then, he left the sea, but didn't dry off, because being covered in seawater was a gift from the drowned god. Covered in water, he ate the clams that the drowned god gave him, saying another silent prayer to the drowned god. But then, two men om horseback approached him. Aeron didn't like horses, because they were NOT a gift from the drowned god. "don't bother me, I'm praying to the drowned god", he told the heathens who rode their non- sea horses.

and on and on and on just like that. To each their own I guess, but to me, his chapters are as interesting as watching paint dry.

At least watching paint dry rarely contains barely understandable religious zealotry.

I would pay for you to write a whole book like that.

I can't imagine getting rid of Victarion, granted he's dullish before he gets to the Slaver's Bay and starts freeing slaves because Daenerys does.

Aeron: bleah. That fanfic was if anything more readable than the stuff on him in the books. At least it was amusing. (This is all IMO, etc.)

Archived