[Book Spoilers] EP305 Discussion

Ran

Nope. Balon is still very much alive when Tywin plans the marriages in the books. But you do bring up a point that's been bugging me this entire season? There's been virtually no mention of the ironborn, and they've been reduced to an afterthought, despite them holding some notable castles in the North. I really hope the show addresses them ASAP.

If they show the real Ironborn, that will either give away Ramsay's game, or be even more confusing as to what the Ironborn are doing.

The BWB cave B)

That doesn't happen in the books, and Gendry is supposed to survive to meet brienne in book 4, and i certainly hope he'll continue to survive. if they do that, i think it would be an unnecessary deviation and i wouldn't welcome it. better to just invent one of robert's other bastards (edric storm) cause they can't just completely change gendry's story arc. also, if you're wondering who arya shot an arrow at in the preview to 'the climb', that wasn't melisandre, that was the hound. (sorry i had a long argument with somebody about this)

Aerys and Rhaegar betrayed their "side" of the fealty contract first, so the Starks and Robert have justification.

Not saying they didn't. I am just saying I understand what Jaime did, as I would have done the same thing and I don't understand why he got the flak that he did for killing a clearly insane King before innocents got hurt,

That doesn't happen in the books, and Gendry is supposed to survive to meet brienne in book 4, and i certainly hope he'll continue to survive. if they do that, i think it would be an unnecessary deviation and i wouldn't welcome it. better to just invent one of robert's other bastards (edric storm) cause they can't just completely change gendry's story arc. also, if you're wondering who arya shot an arrow at in the preview to 'the climb', that wasn't melisandre, that was the hound. (sorry i had a long argument with somebody about this)

Edric survived the leeching, why wouldn't Gendry? She doesn't need to take him or anything, only the ritual... It makes perfect sense since he's another bastard; she's got a connection between Red Priest Fire Skype; and she disappears again without a trace. No need to add a new character, and actually adds more value to Gendry since he goes silent otherwise until later.

I didn't wonder who Arya shot at, I doubt she'll still be there when Mel arrives. Even if she is, the leeching will take place in the cave so the scene you're describing is something else altogether.

I don't want Gendry to go to Dragonstone at all. I hope (as we may have seen in a trailer) Melisandre just tries to use him for a shadowbaby and then returns. Taking him with her and away from the BwB would be pointless after he's vowed to stay with them, imo.

I don't want Gendry to go to Dragonstone at all. I hope (as we may have seen in a trailer) Melisandre just tries to use him for a shadowbaby and then returns. Taking him with her and away from the BwB would be pointless after he's vowed to stay with them, imo.

But that's my point - he doesn't have to leave. I don't think she is going to make a shadow baby either... Stannis needs 3 kings to die, she can leech Gendry right there and then, toss the leeches into the fire (or carry them with her to show Stannis) and be done with it.

@rickonkinginthenorth

At 7:58 and on in this video they feature Thoros of Myr, showing his new role in the show (I just stumbled upon the video and thought of you immediately :P) Look at who he's with... This shows so much more than the trailer we all thought might have just been edited to look like they were in the same cave.

Not saying they didn't. I am just saying I understand what Jaime did, as I would have done the same thing and I don't understand why he got the flak that he did for killing a clearly insane King before innocents got hurt,

His pride was insulted by Ned Stark, so he decided not to tell anyone. In other words, he had a selfcentered fit and didn't have the fortitude to explain himself in a highly contentious situation. It didn't help that his father was busy betraying the king from inside the wall of the Red Keep.

I have sympathy for Jaime once he tells his story, but being called the Kingslayer is not the sort of horror to which he sentenced Bran. I think that Martin is manipulating our perception of Jaime in this sense.

The world IS grey and there are a lot of 'good' reasons for the evil people do, but that doesn't mean everyone's actions can be redeemed away by explanation.

Selyse and Shireen exist. Oh joy. I was wondering about the story at Dragonstone. Is Mel gathering up Edric Storm? Stannis never sees his daughter and he just gives her bad news the one moment he has with her? What a dick! Sir Davos and Shireen scene seemed to jam much of the story line into a little snibbet. I was worrying so I was glad that any of that story line was squezzed in.

Really? I've never seen anyone with purple eyes! Unless you're talking about albinos. Are the Targs supposed to be Albinos? I've never thought about it. Although that would make Dany's wandering in sun-blazing and hot Essos a tiny bit impossible.

Purple eyes are rare, but very real. Elizabeth Taylor had purple eyes in person. I don't think the screen could register them though.

I've never seen anyone with purple eyes either because they are so rare, or maybe I did, but didn't look closely enough.

" 1. Arya and Gendry are going to have a romance if not be a married couple. That dialog between them tonight was absolutely dead on as a foreshawdowing of this. Gendry was asserting his need not only to be free of a master/serf relationship but also his need not to be subservient to Arya. I am not claiming that they have feelings for one another in a romantic way right now, that would be creepy and out of character for both of them, but they will. They are a natural pair. When Gendry learns he is a Baratheon, he is going to change his idea of himself. I don't mean he is going to think like a Lord, quite the opposite. He may even 'accept' what he is but reject the idea of lording it over anyone which totally matches Arya's idea of how she would like to live her life, not as a great lady, but as a woman who makes decisions for herself about how she wants to live. And knowing he is her social equal is going to give him the emotional confidence to both allow himself to feel his attracton to her and maybe even pursue her. He is aware he cannot be her family now, but he will know differently later.

"

In the books I think he does have feeling for her. They are both younger, so he acts more childish. But he mentioned how she looked different in girl's clothes and stuff, and gets all annoyed at her talking to the other little lord...

Wonder what they'll do to them in the show, it could actually be telling if there is a future for them in the book... Also how would that work if the convine the caracter of Edric Storm with Gendry?

Yes, but his feelings are nascent and confused. It would be a confusing situation for anyone as a female child wearing men's clothes just wasn't done, so that gender switch would be hard on Gendry's imagination.

The parts you have noted represent some of the evidence for what I am claiming is being set up.

I need to review Storm's story line to figure that out, but I don't see any reason why that should affect their relationship what is going to be years later when Arya is at least 15 and probably more.

Edited by BlueDragon

re BlujeDeragon above:

"I need to review Storm's story line to figure that out, but I don't see any reason why that should affect their relationship what is going to be years later when Arya is at least 15 and probably more."

Edric Storm is a sub-sub-sub -subsidiary character against the whole of the story and is really narrative tool to

provide a criterion for Davos. He wont give him up to the Red Witch. Like Ned refused to be party to the assassination of Danaerys. I can live without him in the tv series adaptation. Ditto Patchface. Ditto Willas and sundry other characters that people obsess about. There are very real resource and time limitations on D&D/HBO,

the series is already bloated in terms of characters ... be happy that GRRM has taken so long to write the currently available 5 volumes if he finishes the story he dies a literary saint in my opnion.

great episode. maybe best this season so far. just rewatched the episode : Selyse is very good and I think the three jars is a beautiful touch made me think maybe David Lynch get to direct an ep sometime. Shireen is beautiful

such pure innocence the Patchface lullaby bought a tear to my eye also the way she was so insistent that she teach

Davos to read. she and Tyrion are both ... disfigured ...and shunned by their parents (selyse seems to consider her an abomination) yet each has an indomitable spirit. hope they handle Shireen's character deftly but so far, so good!

thanx to the person in this thread who put up a link to the song in The Night The Hunter, this prompted me to revisit a very very fine old movie that is pregnant with creativity and is still watchable : came out in 1955.

I have fingers crossed that Antonio Banderas plays Oberyn Martell, I reckon he would be beautiful. He has swagger and gravitas.

Also how about Malcolm McDowell as Aeron (Damphair) Greyjoy? that would be a treat McDowell does very good maniac/fanatic.

Albert Finney as Wyman Manderley....aaahhh

reckon the show is really on a roll now, rest of this season should be great. and i'm now starting to think that Talisa is a spy so i am looking forward to what happens at that significant ceremony that we believe will happenin ep 9 or 10. could be really twisted.

also, big props to michelle fairley her performance during the "trial" of Lord

Karstark is phenomenal : she says nothing just seems to be a broken woman watching her son steadily drift to his doom.

Edited by Lord Snide

@rickonkinginthenorth

At 7:58 and on in this video they feature Thoros of Myr, showing his new role in the show (I just stumbled upon the video and thought of you immediately :P) Look at who he's with... This shows so much more than the trailer we all thought might have just been edited to look like they were in the same cave.

http://youtu.be/SN28-TdHCbI

Thanks for showing me! I guess she will go to the cave, but...

Moving on to more important matters, how disgusting was Jon, eating out Ygritte after walking for weeks in heavy furs without washing. :stillsick:

They could at least have bathed before the cunnilingus.

Edited by The Monkey