How would you rate episode 305?

Ran

How would you rate episode 305?  

700 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the episode on a scale of 1 to 10

I disagree completely. That line about bringing someone back who'd had their head cut off was even more heartbreaking than in the books. As was the line about Gendry being her family.

Let me clarify. It was the scene with Gendry I was disappointed with. The scene with Beric and Thoros was very good.

Another 10 from me. Why? Because I swear the scenes with ygritte/Jon and Brienne/Jaimie were just as I imagined them! I loved the Hound/Dondarrion showdown. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Nicolaj did an awesome job! Loved him in the bath house! We get to see a whole new side of Jaime <3

Eta: ah yes! Grey worm! Enjoyed that too!

Edited by Arya Stalka

I gave it a 9. It was a very strong episode. Loved Jon/Ygritte, Robb & Karstark, Grey Worm, Tywin & kids, Shireen & Davos, all of the BWB scenes, and of course Jaime & Brienne.

The reason I took off a point is because of the portrayal of Ser Loras. I know some characters on TV can be very different from their book counterparts, but I feel like the rewriting of his a little more homophobic than GRRM's version. Loras of the books was so faithful and truly in love with Renly. I personally think it would have been more tasteful to depict that kind of relationship rather than have a man that will sleep with anything with a p**** just because he's gay.

I wouldn't say showing a gay half-sex scene is homophobic at all. That's like saying Pod with whores scene is heterophobic. It's just a deviation of character.

I give it a 9. I loved every minute of it (up to Loras) and was clapping as they pulled so much information straight from the novels. Best episode of the season, by far, for me. I saw the Loras plot coming as soon as the squire walked up to him and hated it. They could just as easily had a servant be the mole. No need to destroy Loras like that.

Last Episode may have had an epic final scene but this episode had very strong, powerful scenes, and lots of them.

Hound and Beric

Arya charging the hound with a dagger.

Arya nearly brought to tears with Gendry scene, calling him family, I nearly cried too

Arya and Beric amazing scene, it so seemed like a clash of the old gods and the red. The Wolf stares down the Red warrior. Stunning, thought it had strong theme's.

Baric: "Do I frighten you child?"

Arya: "No."

Loved it!

Jaime and Bre very powerful, it dropped my jaw in the books and was no disappointment this episode, very powerful, flawless acting here

Ygritte and Jon scene it bothered me that Ygritte used her line "you know nothing Jon Snow," seemed forced in this scene

Robb and Karstark scene seemed a little weak, not sure what it was, writing maybe

Loved the patchface scene with Stannis and later Davos

Dany meeting grey worm great scene

Sir Jorah and Sir Berristan scene, geez Jorah was digging hard here which I won't get into book reader v. tv series speculation, still a strong scene

10/10

Gave it an 8 although I considered giving it a 7.

Some truly great scenes and exceptional acting. When I first saw Nikolai on season one I didn't like him, yet by this time he is one of my favorite actors on the show. He does absolutely great in his role. As a matter of fact, all the male lead roles for Lannisters are superb actors. Couldn't be happier with Nikolai, Charles, and Peter's performance.

Some scenes were good, but not worthy of a 9 or a 10 rating from me. And the babies in tanks...I'm not exactly a huge Stannis fan, nor am I a Stannis hater, but even I am wondering what the heck they are doing with his storyline sometimes. I don't hate it, but I find certain things about it odd to say the least.

But 8 is a good score. It was solid entertainment.

Last Episode may have had an epic final scene but this episode had very strong, powerful scenes, and lots of them.

Hound and Beric

Arya charging the hound with a dagger.

Arya nearly brought to tears with Gendry scene, calling him family, I nearly cried too

Arya and Beric amazing scene, it so seemed like a clash of the old gods and the red. The Wolf stares down the Red warrior. Stunning, thought it had strong theme's.

Baric: "Do I frighten you child?"

Arya: "No."

Loved it!

Jaime and Bre very powerful, it dropped my jaw in the books and was no disappointment this episode, very powerful, flawless acting here

Ygritte and Jon scene it bothered me that Ygritte used her line "you know nothing Jon Snow," seemed forced in this scene

Robb and Karstark scene seemed a little weak, not sure what it was, writing maybe

Loved the patchface scene with Stannis and later Davos

Dany meeting grey worm great scene

Sir Jorah and Sir Berristan scene, geez Jorah was digging hard here which I won't get into book reader v. tv series speculation, still a strong scene

10/10

All of the Karstark dialogue is basically lifted straight from the book so I wouldn't say it was writing.

Also Ygritte's you know nothing line was also in the book.

Just pointing it out. That's doesn't mean they were perfect but that's where they came from.

FWIW, I give it a 7.

Ep 1 - 8+

Ep 2 - 6

Ep 3 - 9

Ep 4 - 9+

Ep 5 - 7

Ayra was too weak emotionally. Understandable but it didn't fit the Ayra I conjure.

No Patchface, although I like the songs at the end. Not how I thought they would sound. This may mess up any special meaning with PF, if there are any to be had. This was like chapters in a book. They are regrouping and setting things in motion. Other than Karstark, nothing big happened. You could tell both the backside nudity of Ygritte and Brienne were standins. At least that is how it appeared to me. The hair on Ygrittes head is different and it appears they weren't showing any body with the face for Brienne. I am not saying this is a bad thing, I just was taken out of the moment because I noticed its inconsistency. In the book, Robb knows he will loose the Karstarks, but he knows if he doesn't kill him, he looses his honor and other Northerners. This is the first time I really hated Talisa because it made Robb look less the tactician than he is in the books. Cat and Robb make the decision to woo the Frays back, not here, it's Robb with little Miss Volantis, who for hobbies, likes cutting off limbs and following war camps around.

A little frustrated with this ep.

I wouldn't say showing a gay half-sex scene is homophobic at all. That's like saying Pod with whores scene is heterophobic. It's just a deviation of character.

That wasn't my point. Gay half-sex scenes between Loras and Renly were ok. I just preferred the book version where the major gay character is shown as faithful to his partner even after his death. They even recorded a scene for season two between Loras and Marge where he was grieving for Renly but they cut that out.

You can't really compare that with Pod because he isn't the only heterosexual character in the series.

Edited by The She Wolf

I gave it a 9, the best episode this season so far.

Arya, Beric and Thoras excellent.

Arya and Gendry touching.

Tara Fitzgerald is a very good actress and she and

Stephan Dillane were great together.

The little girl playing Shireen is wonderful and I thought

the scene with her and Stannis was very moving.

I've never doubted Stannis loves his daughter.

Also loved Shireen and Davos.

The Robb stuff was good.

I was very happy to have the bath scene included.

I thought Nic and Gwen were great and it captured

the scene from the book very well.

Thought the Loras scene was cheap.

Tywin and his kids, perfect.

I gave it a protest 10. What's a protest 10? It's when you have a strong moral principle against judging anything a 10 but feel something was so good in contrast, a message must be sent.

PACE. This episode had an enjoyable pace for once. The scenes lasted a bit longer and had room to breathe. Oddly, it made the whole episode feel longer and feel like a story instead of visual cliff notes.

- Duel scene was fantastic. I was a but worried after the brienne/jamie fight scene, but this sequence was well directed and fun to watch.

- Bath scene was a homerun. Nikolaj nailed it and the direction was gold.

This director should direct them all.

I would rate this episode 9 as well, that's two great episodes in a row for season 3 - I hope the coming episodes are as well done as the previous ones this year. Truly remarkable work this year, it's hard to believe that they are actually improving as much as they are, given the limited time they have to punch out the nearly 11 hours of television they need to do.

Gwendoline Christie - what can I say, I think they had a hard time casting a truly "ugly" women as GRRM portrayed Brienne of Tarth in his novels, and went with what they thought would suit things best - a tall girl with some acting chops, who has a hard to define allure about her. Well, she's surely put any critics to the sword with her work in this episode, I thought she was spot on, a praise worthy effort on her behalf for the nearly 6 minutes she was on camera in the bath scene. Gwendoline should be thanking the director and art department etc for portraying her in such an appealing fashion, and giving her the chance to shine, an opportunity she seized in my opinion. She looked magnificent, yet very vulnerable as well, and has left me wondering what more she has in store for us with all the great material she'll have to work with in the coming seasons.

It was pretty good, some great scenes with some not so great scenes. I thought Jamie/Bree was one of the best scenes of the year easily, they did a nice job pulling that off. Tywin/Cersie/Tyrion was well done, Robbs scenes were good, Davos/Shireen was sweet, and I thought the actor playing Stannis was better this week, although different, his changes were not as extreme as his lst scene with Mel. Beric and the hound, that was well done. Grey Worm and Dany was well done, a second good week Emilia, good work with her facial emotion.

The Arya scene, I everyone in those scenes was great except Arya. Not that she was bad, I just thought a couple of times, well I was wondering where some of the cold anger was. Like the hit list, it felt more distant and Sad, she felt distant and sad. The Hot Pie scene was better than the Gendry scene, it felt a little desperate and reaching, where is the dark side? Didn't think she was bad but just not as good as others in the scene. Gendry felt kind of emotionless and Arya felt desperate, just like the scene with the knife, it was desperate.

The Jon and Ygritte scene felt forced and they felt detatched. It was an okay looking scene, but I don't feel anything between the two characters. They don't really talk on the show, not sense last year really. This year Jon has hardly said a word, and what he has said has not really been directed at her. The scenes beyond the wall feel detatched, with very little character development. It's just like lets put in a few of the well known scenes from the book and not bother with the rest. It feels flat, and devoid of emotion.

Babies in Jars???? Don't remember that from the books, but it felt wierd and out of place. Looked like someting out of Aliens.

Loras is getting butchered, I always thought he was loyal to Renly even in death. He seems rather unbothered and rather enjoying himself. Sort of missing the chip on his shoulder he had in the books.

I gave it a 7-8. It was good, some really nice scenes, but the scenes beyond the wall are ruining a lot of it for me, they just have no real character development going on there.

Really not sure how I feel about the episode, liked some scenes a lot, didn't like others. Thought the camera work and lighting was good, intresting with all the heavy shading, mixed with natural streaming light. Dark and hazy at times, illuminating at others, characters constantly going from dark to light, like Stannis.

Thought some of the makeup work was really well done, Jamie's eyes swollen and puffy very subtle about what he just went through, but the Greyscale? I never really imagined it looking that plastic.

One thing did shock me, Bree, kinda has a pretty nice little caboose going on. I was kind of like, hey, your a girl. Which tells you how well the actress is doing. At least in my eyes.