[Book Spoilers] Jaime/Brienne

Katydid

For the longest time I thought the "by what right" line was just a reference to their sigils...but then I realized that underneath that is Jaime's statement that Ned really isn't any better than him. By what right does a wolf judge a lion? They are more similar than different, even though lions have a reputation as kings of their domain. They both rely on their packs and they are both ferocious animals. Who are you, Ned Stark, to judge me guilty? You have a bastard son and just fought a war to do exactly what I just did. It's pretty interesting.

Great observation - - I never really thought about it but you're right, that works on two levels!

I've re-watched the scene, and only the scene, 5 times now already. It's perfect every time. I marvel at NCW's acting. He was so authentic, so real, it really is something to behold. GC's reaction shots were also wonderful. Brilliant scene. HBO better submit it for Emmy consideration.

It will depend on if HBO thinks he has a chance against Dinkledge. They will likely only have one shot at a nomination (much less a win) and TV shows with large casts have to pick one to put their power and influence behind. If HBO thinks they can get it with NCW they will. But if they thought it was based on talent alone, they would have pushed Charles Dance last year IMHO

I like Peter Dinklage a lot, but I think of everyone in the cast Alfie Allen actually deserved the nom last season. Most surprising breakaway performance of the show, IMO. I doubt he'd have won it though, Dinklage is a more "visible" actor and awards tend to favor that.

NCW is also fucking killing it this season, I hope he's not overlooked for the reasons already specified.

I bet they wait until next season to throw their weight behind another Dinkelage nomination. Season 4 should be Dinkelage's best material considering what goes down for Tyrion in the last half of ASOS, and if he does it justice (as I expect he will) he'll be a shoe-in nominee.

All that to say NCW could very well have a shot this season.

NCW is also fucking killing it this season, I hope he's not overlooked for the reasons already specified.

Agreed! I did not see it coming either. He has really stepped it up this season.

As a guy who hasnt read any of the books , i think this Jaimie character is awful , not the acting , the acting is perfect , but the character is awful , sleeping with his sister , throwing children out of the window .... when i saw the hand thingy i felt like karma got him finaly , and the things that happend after that was like "its payback time bijach" ..... i dont know if in the books he becomes the good guy or dies (please dont tell :P ) but so far i see his redemption , not so cocky as he was in the 1st season . About the bath scene , when he talked about the mad king i thought that it would be nice to have 1 episode from the past , to actually see what happened there , i feel it would be better than just telling stories about it :) .

Also hope the dwarf doesnt die .....

I can't really say anything about the scene that hasn't been said already, but it was damn good. Best scene this season so far.

i dont know if in the books he becomes the good guy or dies (please dont tell :P ) but so far i see his redemption , not so cocky as he was in the 1st season . About the bath scene , when he talked about the mad king i thought that it would be nice to have 1 episode from the past , to actually see what happened there , i feel it would be better than just telling stories about it

No one in GoT is neither fully good or bad. It's time for you to stop thinking with those terms. :P

I've watched the scene numerous times and its great. It's brilliant, the acting fantastic, so please dont think I'm taking a shot at it. But I have a nit that I notice every time.

They wait a second too long to cut the scene. When GC is holding Jamie without moving I'm waiting to hear the director yell cut. It's a little distracting, I just wish it could have ended a second earlier.

Anyone else notice this?

It will depend on if HBO thinks he has a chance against Dinkledge. They will likely only have one shot at a nomination (much less a win) and TV shows with large casts have to pick one to put their power and influence behind. If HBO thinks they can get it with NCW they will. But if they thought it was based on talent alone, they would have pushed Charles Dance last year IMHO

A chance against Dinklage? What eaxactly has Dinklage done that even comes close to NCW in the bathtub scene? Dinklage was brilliant in Season 1.....since then he hasnt impressed me....hes just consistent. And this season he's done nothingof any real note. As much as I love Dinklage I think he gets far too much atttention.

For the longest time I thought the "by what right" line was just a reference to their sigils...but then I realized that underneath that is Jaime's statement that Ned really isn't any better than him. By what right does a wolf judge a lion? They are more similar than different, even though lions have a reputation as kings of their domain. They both rely on their packs and they are both ferocious animals. Who are you, Ned Stark, to judge me guilty? You have a bastard son and just fought a war to do exactly what I just did. It's pretty interesting.

People seem to forget that when we first see Ned Stark he is executing a deserter... Someone who deserved pity and understand rather than a summary execution. But these are the functions that all Lords however righteous occasionally have to carry out... So yes, by what right?

On a more facetious note, dogs judging cats, how is that fair?

A chance against Dinklage? What eaxactly has Dinklage done that even comes close to NCW in the bathtub scene? Dinklage was brilliant in Season 1.....since then he hasnt impressed me....hes just consistent. And this season he's done nothingof any real note. As much as I love Dinklage I think he gets far too much atttention.

When it comes to awards it doesn't matter about how good you are or how good your stuff is (I mean, that does play some role but it's not the be all and end all). If you look at what the pundants are already saying (like Goldderby.com, etc) they already have Dinklage in contention and not a single mention of NCW anywhere. Now, this might change but Dinklage has a name recognition that the Emmy panel will love. He's also American (which they also love). HBO knows this and will likely put their weight behind him.

Awards are all about who you know and how good you and your backers schmooze.

I think NCW deserves a nomination but I would be very, very surprised if he got one.

How on earth did I fail to comment on this scene?

It was incredible. One of my absolute favourite scenes in the books and they hit it the hell out of the park. It was beautiful, and absolutely emmy-worthy. I love Dinklage and his work but this season belongs to NCW. Every note was pitch perfect. I get chills just remembering it.

It's true that awards are all about backing and PR campaigns and stuff. Sometimes the longshot wins but only if there is sufficient buzz.

I know Dinkledge is the only actor who's getting any recognition for this series (not fair at all), but NCW is running circles around everyone this year (except maybe Dance).

SoS is his redemption arc, loose a hand, gain a brain and conscious, and mayhaps true love.

Great observation - - I never really thought about it but you're right, that works on two levels!

I don't think it is particularly the Kingslaying that Ned judges Jamie, more of the fact that my Father and Brother died before your eyes and you did nothing. Period

It is not the Kingslaying part of Jamie Ned is judging, more to the line of my father and brother died before your eyes, and you did nothing. Period.

It is not the Kingslaying part of Jamie Ned is judging, more to the line of my father and brother died before your eyes, and you did nothing. Period.

No. That doesn't make sense. Of the Kingsguard in service during Aerys reign, Jaime is the single Kingsguard Ned condemned. If he judged him for standing by when Aerys killed his family he would have condemned the rest of them as well. Ned was honorable to the point of idiocy, and what he condemned Jaime for was for betraying and killing the man, the King, he had sworn to protect.

Also, he wouldn't have condemned him for that at that point. If he condemned Jaime for not preventing Aerys from killing his family, he ought to have been grateful at that point, not condemning him. It wouldn't matter that it was late, it would matter that it was done.

I have watched this episode several times now and I still cannot properly hear and understand the sentence that Jaime says right before Brienne stands up. He says:

"You were supposed to take me to King's Landing in one piece. Not going so well, is it? You wanted [... ...] , you got him."

I've even watched it on Youtube and still cannot make out what goes in the brackets. Is it "You wanted Renly dead"?

ESL here, so if anyone could confirm or clarify, I'd be grateful.

I have watched this episode several times now and I still cannot properly hear and understand the sentence that Jaime says right before Brienne stands up. He says:

"You were supposed to take me to King's Landing in one piece. Not going so well, is it? You wanted [... ...] , you got him."

I've even watched it on Youtube and still cannot make out what goes in the brackets. Is it "You wanted Renly dead"?

ESL here, so if anyone could confirm or clarify, I'd be grateful.

I think he said, "Not going so well, is it? No wonder Renly died with you guarding him"

ninja'd

Archived