[Book Spoilers] Use of the scene between Tyrion and Olenna?

Pellaeon

Fill Tyrion/Olenna quotient; more details about how much the Tyrells are doing to help the common folk while the Lannisters have done essentially nothing for them; show that the Lannisters need Tyrell support

Also, the comment Olenna makes about hearing of Tyrion's debauchery and wickedness, yet here he sits prudently and calmly trying to save money for the realm. Shows the difference between peoples' perception of Tyrion and the reality of things. Also shows how smart Olenna is, both with that comment and showing how aware she is of expenses, finances, etc. All in all a great scene and very useful I think.

It just felt like a way to get Tyrion and Olenna some screen time.

For the viewer it didn't do much, we already knew the realm is having money problems and the show hasn't exactly been subtle so far with showing Olenna is sharp.

I just peg it down to needing more Tyrion.

Someone on the board said that Peter Dinklage has a stipulation in his contract that amounts to him getting a certain amount of screentime every episode, I think? I'm not sure if that's true but it would make a lot of sense, and this scene strikes me as funny, informative filler like that.

It just re-iterates how needed the Tyrells are and how dire the situation is without their aid, helping to explain how Olenna is getting away with going around sassin' everybody. (Like she wouldn't anyway, haha, but you know what I mean.)

So she could say, "A wedding is safer, don't you think?"

It was a joke for book readers. Yeah, a wedding is safer. They all work out so well for the bridegroom and guests.

She could have said:

A fool's blood. A king's blood. Blood on a maiden's thigh. But, then, she'd be a fool and she's decidedly not.

I think there is some signifigance to this. Tyrion just got his new job, hes worried about paying for the wedding. He goes to the Tyrells hoping for help, she gives him a hundred reasons why she should not and then goes ahead and offers to pay for half. This is a great releif to him and he proudly announces it to his Father, who does not give a shit. So what it really does is remove a potential irratant between the Tyrells and Tyrion and keeps him fighting with his family instead of him fighting with the Tyrells over money.

So she could say, "A wedding is safer, don't you think?"

A red herring for people like my brother/friend who know a red wedding is coming, but know not which wedding it is. I was pleased.

Apart from the things already mentioned--giving Diana Rigg something to do, giving Peter Dinklage something to do, putting Tyrion and Olenna in a room together and watching them bounce off each other, highlighting the Lannisters' dependence on the Tyrells' resources--we got a bit of a hint as to how Tyrion has changed. There's Olenna's conclusion that Tyrion isn't the "drunken, impertinent, debauched" person she'd expected, but rather a "browbeaten bookkeeper," and the way he's behaving throughout the scene. Olenna is perky and chipper, bringing the sass, and he seems lifeless and worn down in comparison, a dutiful worker bee for his family with very little of his former swagger. Even as Hand, facing down an imminent siege, he had a certain amount of flair and charisma, but now, he's been crushed under Tywin's boot and it's plain for all to see. There are a few signs of his old self in the last scene with Tywin, where he's cracking jokes about Sansa missing Loras' favourite bits, but that's put to a stop very quickly by Tywin as things get very serious very fast.

It's becoming more and more painfully obvious that the show just doesn't have enough for Tyrion to do this season, and is just trying to create these scenes to fulfil Dinklage's contract and give him something to do. His arc only really picks up in the second half of ASOS, so we'll have to make do with such scenes for now. I'm guessing Dinklage is contractually obligated to be in every episode.

It was fun. Is that not enough in itself?

Good Point :laugh:

Posters on this forum (myself included on occasion) often get so caught up with notions of "plot advancement" that they forget that the show is about entertaining, not just advancing the story. And this scene was certainly entertaining.

Also, the comment Olenna makes about hearing of Tyrion's debauchery and wickedness, yet here he sits prudently and calmly trying to save money for the realm. Shows the difference between peoples' perception of Tyrion and the reality of things. Also shows how smart Olenna is, both with that comment and showing how aware she is of expenses, finances, etc. All in all a great scene and very useful I think.

That comment made me think of Tyrion's first meeting with the Red Viper, he says something along those lines. And her bowel moving comment made me think of Roose and Jaimie's (hopefully)forthcoming convo/date :)

It's becoming more and more painfully obvious that the show just doesn't have enough for Tyrion to do this season, and is just trying to create these scenes to fulfil Dinklage's contract and give him something to do. His arc only really picks up in the second half of ASOS, so we'll have to make do with such scenes for now. I'm guessing Dinklage is contractually obligated to be in every episode.

Yeah. Tyrion is a passenger so far this season. Lots of his chapters in ASoS were merely him being our eyes in KL. In the show we can skip that and just go directly to Cersei/Sansa/LF/Varys/Tywin/Olenna.

Pretty much like last season we had scenes about the planning for the battle of the Blackwater, this year we have scenes about the planning of the Royal Wedding. It's all about building people's expectations so that things don't come out of the blue.

It was fun. Is that not enough in itself?

Amen. I was just going to point that out myself.

For my part, if they could do a sequel to GoT and title it "The adventures of Olenna Tyrell", I would be positively blissful.

Archived