(Book spoilers) Lena Headey appreciation thread

Mr Hodor

In her defense, there's not really much to understand book Cersei. She's the typical evil queen figure that sometimes acts in ways that are pretty much borderline pantomime villainy. It's always irked me that while the Lannister brothers are complex characters with both good and bad attributes, Cersei is just straight up evil.

I agree to a point - but I was always able to empathize with her for some reason (despite how evil she is), and a super-stereotype typical evil queen figure wouldn't make me feel empathy at all. I've read countless of those kinds of fantasy characters. I could list a lot of reasons as to why I do empathize with her (to a point) and actually find her pretty intricate, but I'm kind of tired :P It's just different for everyone, I suppose. I also have some familial situations that are quite disturbingly similar to hers (minus the incest, obviously), was treated by my father much like hers did, and I'm female, so maybe I can relate in some ways that others can't.

I agree to a point - but I was always able to empathize with her for some reason (despite how evil she is), and a super-stereotype typical evil queen figure wouldn't make me feel empathy at all. I've read countless of those kinds of fantasy characters. I could list a lot of reasons as to why I do empathize with her (to a point) and actually find her pretty intricate, but I'm kind of tired :P It's just different for everyone, I suppose. I also have some familial situations that are quite disturbingly similar to hers (minus the incest, obviously), was treated by my father much like hers did, and I'm female, so maybe I can relate in some ways that others can't.

I'm the same way about her. Like Gleeson, Headey gives her Cersei a vulnerability that wasn't really there on the page and it helps her characterization a bunch - though as cartoonishly, mustache-twirlingly evil as she could be in the books sometimes, I couldn't help but find Cersei a touch sympathetic, even if she proved herself a vile person through and through with some of her actions.

A lot of her problem is an in-born cruelty and narcissism, true, but she's been embittered and made even worse by the death of her mother, a prophecy of her and her childrens' doom, the rejection of Rhaegar (after Tywin built her up for it), a cold patriarch, a terrible husband, the death of her son and (last but way not least) a toxic patriarchal society in general. Cersei's incredibly strong-willed in her way, one of those "break before she bends" types, and when you combine that with her ego it means she will never really adjust to her society the same way some women like Cat and the QoT were able to.

She reminded me of Arya a little bit in her childhood recollections, only more mean-spirited and egotistical obviously. I always wondered if Arya would have trouble adjusting in much the same ways as Cersei if she were forced to live the lady's life.

(note that I'm not justifying her actions at all!! because yikes. I just think it's easy to see how she got as bad as she is.)

And it goes without saying that Cersei's unraveling is going to be amazing. We've caught a filtered glimpse or two into that Cersei on the show sometimes, most notably the Blackwater episode, but I'm way ready for Lena Headey's take on pure 100% unfiltered Cersei-brand crazy post-ASOS.

In case you all missed it. Lena seems as insecure as an average Joe. I love how she refers to herself as having a horseface lol.

awwww

Even putting aside how much I enjoy her acting, she seems amazing IRL too. Her commentary tracks are consistently the most hilarious and she seems very charismatic.

I'm the same way about her. Like Gleeson, Headey gives her Cersei a vulnerability that wasn't really there on the page and it helps her characterization a bunch - though as cartoonishly, mustache-twirlingly evil as she could be in the books sometimes, I couldn't help but find Cersei a touch sympathetic, even if she proved herself a vile person through and through with some of her actions.

A lot of her problem is an in-born cruelty and narcissism, true, but she's been embittered and made even worse by the death of her mother, a prophecy of her and her childrens' doom, the rejection of Rhaegar (after Tywin built her up for it), a cold patriarch, a terrible husband, the death of her son and (last but way not least) a toxic patriarchal society in general. Cersei's incredibly strong-willed in her way, one of those "break before she bends" types, and when you combine that with her ego it means she will never really adjust to her society the same way some women like Cat and the QoT were able to.

She reminded me of Arya a little bit in her childhood recollections, only more mean-spirited and egotistical obviously. I always wondered if Arya would have trouble adjusting in much the same ways as Cersei if she were forced to live the lady's life.

(note that I'm not justifying her actions at all!! because yikes. I just think it's easy to see how she got as bad as she is.)

And it goes without saying that Cersei's unraveling is going to be amazing. We've caught a filtered glimpse or two into that Cersei on the show sometimes, most notably the Blackwater episode, but I'm way ready for Lena Headey's take on pure 100% unfiltered Cersei-brand crazy post-ASOS.

awwww

Even putting aside how much I enjoy her acting, she seems amazing IRL too. Her commentary tracks are consistently the most hilarious and she seems very charismatic.

Me too. For a long time I considered her a straight-up evil bitch, but I'm starting to understand her motivations better now.

I think her haughty, regal performance is going to be better in the long run, because when we get Cersei's descent into madness it will be SO much more awesome and hopefully no where near as cartoon villainy as it sometimes is in the books.

I think those are good points about her and Arya and ones that in retrospect I think the show has been trying to actively make (i.e. Tywin saying Arya reminds him of Cersei). What would have happened to Arya if she had been forced to go the same route as Cersei in marriage which in two separate situation with Ned and Cat were suggested or actually set up to happen, especially when her Aunt Lyanna didn't likely take too well to it either. And what would have happend to Cersei if she could have followed her desires at a younger age like Arya on some level is doing.

Archived