[BOOK SPOILERS] Selyse's Babies

TheEvilKing

I kinda thought Mel would try to sacrifice Shireen, and Davos would rescue her, since they're buddies now. Shireen teaching him to read was precious. :read:

If Stannis even for a second considers sacrificing his daughter to the fire to "awaken stone dragons" like the Targs he will be so beyond saving it'll be laughable.

I know D&D don't like Stannis as a character but THIS would be too far.

I actually LIKE the change they made with Selyse being so crazy and keeping the fetuses in jars . . .

...Explains why she's "locked in a tower." Let's assume that with every pregnancy she gets closer to baying-at-the-moon-naked insane, maybe even with postpartum psychosis. She's locked up for her own safety.

...Explains why Stannis doesn't sleep with her . . . not because of the mustache ick-factor but to spare her any more pregnancies. (No, I don't know why he couldn't just secretly dose her with moon tea . . . ). Plus, he wouldn't feel very . . .motivated . . .with the dead babies peeking at him. Humanizes the guy a bit ...a serious conflict between his duty to get a male heir and his decent streak, not to torment his wife.

...Explains why Shireen has turned into a Patchface-hybrid. Mama thinks she's only a worthless GIRL, and Daddy has plenty of issues of his own. No WONDER she doesn't mind spending hours and hours hangin' with Davos in the prison cell and/or seeks solace in books.

It just makes so much more SENSE than Stannis avoiding Selyse because of her mustache. They do have razors in Westeros. Or he could try, you know, extinguishing the lanthorn and pretending she's TEH HOT. I know, I know, the guy doesn't have much imagination ...

I like this idea. I like this very much.

Especially in the sense that Mel will sacrifice the stillborns to prove her magic will work. But then, of course, Davos gets Gendry out in time before they try to kill him. Sends Gendry off to Bravos where he can meet up with Arya again.

Sorted.

First of My Name wrote:

I believe it was said in the Cogman interview (it was in the announcement liston the left of this site) that those babies where more or les thrown in without that much thought behind it. Somebody just came up with it.

Yes. But you can't stop fans -- any fans, of any fandom whatsoever -- from extrapolating and speculating! :) Just because it the babies weren't thoughtfully-planned-out-and-intentional doesn't mean they're not brilliant. Maybe the writer(s) were intuitive instead of analytical; either way, I like the change.

Besides, in the book they have time to TELL us about Selyse and all her childlessness and the miserable marriage between herself and Stannis.

In the show, they don't have the time to tell us... instead they SHOW us. That one scene with the babies in the jar tells us a ton about Selyse.... all without saying a word. We now know something about her history, her emotional state, perhaps something about the state of her relationships with other people in her family (because if she's that obsessed with the jars, chances are she's not very emotionally involved with anyone else) etc.

I thought it was a very effective device. It uses the VISUAL aspect of television in a nice way to do some story-telling that otherwise would have required many more words

If the babes are going to fulfill the role of the leeches Cogman would not tell us that they before the episode in question airs. The thing may have started as weird idea, but I honestly doubt that they would explore Selyse's stillborn sons and show us their remains if this whole thing is not going to become a plot point. So my guess is that Cogman's weird idea evolved and now the stillborns are going to replace the leeches.

This is another great example of something people wouldn't have a problem with if it had been in the books, but because it's not they freak out. Someone mentioned the scene in the books where Jaime has sex with Cersei mid-period next to their son's dead body as a counterpoint to the baby jars. I can only imagine the outrage if that hadn't been in the book, but appears in the show.

Very good comparison! That scene (Jaime and Cersei) was pretty disturbing in the books. I actually hope it isn't included in the TV show, to be honest.

Besides, in the book they have time to TELL us about Selyse and all her childlessness and the miserable marriage between herself and Stannis.

In the show, they don't have the time to tell us... instead they SHOW us. That one scene with the babies in the jar tells us a ton about Selyse.... all without saying a word. We now know something about her history, her emotional state, perhaps something about the state of her relationships with other people in her family (because if she's that obsessed with the jars, chances are she's not very emotionally involved with anyone else) etc.

I thought it was a very effective device. It uses the VISUAL aspect of television in a nice way to do some story-telling that otherwise would have required many more words

Good points! You successfully changed my opinion on this.

• 5 months later...

Dead babies are dead. You can't use them for magic, since there is no life to sacrifice. So no. Gendry will be the one, but he might not die. Most likely it will seem like he's going to die but he will end up just getting leeched.

Lol, nailed it. Sacrifice is not free that's the whole friggin' point of a sacrifice!

Archived