[Book Spoilers] Any redemption for Stannis in this episode?

Hodors Shlong

So I know TV Stannis has been taking a lot of heat this season...Personally, i dont mind TV stannis, but he has been portrayed differently on the show. I was pleasantly surprised with his scene in this episode. Im sure there's plenty to dissect one way or another (Princess Shireen was the cutest! And creepy fetus jars for sure. And Selyse knowing about Stannis porking Mel is definitley interesting), but as far as Stannis goes, I thought this earned him some points in my book.

What does everyone think of this new side of Stannis were seeing on TV?

Yes and no. There were bits that gave him some redemption, but also some bad things. In the end, it will depend on what people choose to remember and talk about, and it is in human nature to remember and focus on the bad and / or shocking.

Selyse probably isn't ugly enough, tbh Tara Fitzgerald isn't ugly at all... But okay, since the fetuses show he's been trying and the show doesn't establish he shirks away from her as much as the books do, I suppose I can live with it. That he wants a son is probably a better reason for doing Mel than thinking Selyse is ugly (even though, the way she's described...) or doing it just to have magical assassins.

His apology was probably the best thing about this episode for him.

I can see why they used the fetuses (to remind people of the stillborns), but it is kinda cruel to think Stannis would not give his unborn sons a proper burial. Makes him look like the head of the Adams family, really. At the same time, people (especially mothers) should be able to sympathize with him a little - having so many stillborn children is just too much, you wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

'Davos is rotting in a dungeon' - please, he isn't... He was put in the dungeon (in good circumstances) to recover from almost dying and be protected from himself (it is a logical assumption to think he could have gone mad having spent so much time on a rock), besides Stannis didn't even put him there personally (as opposed to the show).

The relationship with his wife is far more interesting than in the book, so at the very least, it should make him more interesting to people.

'I believed that once' - Stannis, giving up? Please, his strength and resolve is the reason so many of us like him so much.

I enjoyed his scenes and the amount of screentime he got, but I think a lot of viewers will simply remember the creepiness and awkwardness about him displayed in this episode rather than anything else.

I think it was great. As a huge Stannis supporter of the books I was glad to see that he got some redemption.

I also feel that at this point in the books he would've been close to the breaking point. I feel this season will begin his revitalisation, and it will conclude in the next.

His arch in this season will probably have to do with the sparing of someone's life or similar, taking the place of what Davos does for Edric. All speculation though!

PS. LOOOVED the "I know I know, oh oh oh" bit. DS

Yeah, I liked him this episode, goes to show that he is being used by Melissandre. Once she is no longer present he confesses to his wife about his adultery and goes to see his daughter. The scene of Melissandre leaving was horrible to watch, I really lost a lot of respect for Stannis there, but he regained some in this episode, we'll see how he does in the future. He even called her "the Red Woman" to Selyse's face, which kind of shows a upcoming detachment from her and embracing the common sense brought by Davos.

Depending on whether they decide to do the leech-burning ceremony, Melissandre would have to come back episode 7, to put an episode between the ceremony and the Red Wedding, which would mean that Stannis would have to come to his senses, forgive and release Davos and make him hand in the next episode.

I thought these scenes did a great job of providing TV Stannis some much needed depth, and of revealing a believable motive for him to glom onto Melisandre (namely, that his wife is bat shit crazy).

i agree. there was definite motive for his adultery and they did a good job of showing how much of a zealot selyse is.

TV Stannis is exactly how I pictured him in the books. Not sure what peoples' issues really are.

probably that tv stannis is so different from book stannis. and things that were hinted at in the books are made blatantly obvious in the show with forces readers to deal with a more conflicted stannis than they may have originally thought.

as for whether he is redeemed, for me, no. yes, we are allowed to see more sides to the man but he doesn't redeem himself for me until he goes to the wall.

I liked it. I was convinced D and D hated Stannis after the early episodes but last night they showed some depth to his character. Stannis is struggling with a wife who is mentally dealing with a lot of anguish, and he himself who has suffered not only his first defeat but his worst defeat, he has pretty much lost in the Game of Thrones and time is running out for him. His allys have abandoned him, and he has Davos in the cells (the same cells that Theon appears to be in, set touch).

Good to see him, he loves Shireen, he loves his family,

From the ways things are shaping up, I think I might end up liking TV!Stannis more than Book!Stannis...

What is happening to me?!

I feel the same way. I really got the feeling that he cares for his wife and daughter in this episode. Never really saw that in book Stannis. He's still very cold and detached, but Stephen Dillane manages to let a little bit of warmth shine through, and in my opinion Stannis benefits for it.

Show Stannis is incredibly unlikeable. The dude wouldn't even hug his daughter back. But i'm cool with this because i don't like Stannis in the books either and don't really understand why a lot of people do like him. He's dull, one dimensional, totally cool with human sacrifice, and never smiles. Such a douche.

Archived