[Book Spoilers] Any redemption for Stannis in this episode?

Hodors Shlong

Show Stannis is incredibly unlikeable. The dude wouldn't even hug his daughter back. But i'm cool with this because i don't like Stannis in the books either and don't really understand why a lot of people do like him. He's dull, one dimensional, totally cool with human sacrifice, and never smiles. Such a douche.

Stannis is no better nor worse than the book Stannis and other contenders for the Heavyweight Championship of Westeros. He reminds me of Galad in the Eye of the World series. A commander and superior warrior but so rigid and unyielding that he can never achieve greatness.

Stannis is no better nor worse than the book Stannis and other contenders for the Heavyweight Championship of Westeros. He reminds me of Galad in the Eye of the World series. A commander and superior warrior but so rigid and unyielding that he can never achieve greatness.

I read a few books of that series, firstly its called Wheel of Time, secondly you could not have made a worse comparison. Stannis shares no traits with Galad. Galad is a 'pretty boy' like Loras, except straight, and is a big ladies man and all girls fall around his knees begging for his attention.

Seriously, couldn't have made a more inaccurate comparison. Stannis shares some traits with some of the Children of the Light, but Galad? That's like saying Stannis is like Loras.

Show Stannis is incredibly unlikeable. The dude wouldn't even hug his daughter back. But i'm cool with this because i don't like Stannis in the books either and don't really understand why a lot of people do like him. He's dull, one dimensional, totally cool with human sacrifice, and never smiles. Such a douche.

He needs to be less cool with the sacrifices, yeah. Its an issue we Stan fans have with him.

But I disagree with the not hugging his daughter back thing. He clearly showed affection for her in the scene, but thing is, he's Stannis. Nobody gave him real love from his family, and he has no idea how to go about showing it at all.

I read a few books of that series, firstly its called Wheel of Time, secondly you could not have made a worse comparison. Stannis shares no traits with Galad. Galad is a 'pretty boy' like Loras, except straight, and is a big ladies man and all girls fall around his knees begging for his attention.

Seriously, couldn't have made a more inaccurate comparison. Stannis shares some traits with some of the Children of the Light, but Galad? That's like saying Stannis is like Loras.

Thanks for pointing out that your reading a book and comprehending it are two different things. Stannis is everything like Galad and nothing like Loras. Loras has passion and makes commitments and mistakes. Loras clearly does not hold himself or anyone else to rigid standards. Aside from the superficial difference in looks between Galad and Stannis, their important similarity is their rigid belief systems that lead them to judge themselves and everyone around them by impossible standards leading to disastrous results.

Plainly not true. Looks like your rigid belief system has led you to judge Stannis by impossible standards, leading to a disastrous result.

Great scenese, but anyone else think the fetuses are too much? The only explanation for me is that their gona use them instead of leeches

They served as a reminder of the stillborn Selyse had, but yeah, it was too much. However what you're suggesting is very interesting... Although it would be horrible and I'd rather not see it happen.

I liked it. I was convinced D and D hated Stannis after the early episodes but last night they showed some depth to his character. Stannis is struggling with a wife who is mentally dealing with a lot of anguish, and he himself who has suffered not only his first defeat but his worst defeat, he has pretty much lost in the Game of Thrones and time is running out for him. His allys have abandoned him, and he has Davos in the cells (the same cells that Theon appears to be in, set touch).

Good to see him, he loves Shireen, he loves his family,

I really liked Stannis's scene in this episode, Dillane is actually nailing the portrayal as far as I'm concerned its just the writing thats often a let down. But yeah this was a huge improvement, although I'd say Cogman deserves the credit for that, rather than Benioff and Weiss.

I do wish people would just get the hell over the beach scene though, it wasnt that bad. People forget jus how desperate and deprressed Stannis wwas at this point, all he did was beg her for another shadow assassin - because he wants the other kings dead. Even the "i want you" was part of that - whats the big deal?

I liked the confession to his wife and his interaction with Shireen, but the babies in jars was very off-putting. I'm still not exactly sure what they are doing with tv Stannis. Stannis is a character in the books that I admire though I'm not a big fan like some on this forum. TV Stannis comes across differently than how I imagined him, but I think perhaps they are setting him up for a great redemption. At least, I hope they are.

Great scenese, but anyone else think the fetuses are too much? The only explanation for me is that their gona use them instead of leeches

AAhhh good call. When Mel left she mentioned that there were others for the Kings blood. Then Selyse metioned Edric which instead of Roberts bastard, is one of the stillborns. I wasn't crazy about it though either.

Thanks for pointing out that your reading a book and comprehending it are two different things. Stannis is everything like Galad and nothing like Loras. Loras has passion and makes commitments and mistakes. Loras clearly does not hold himself or anyone else to rigid standards. Aside from the superficial difference in looks between Galad and Stannis, their important similarity is their rigid belief systems that lead them to judge themselves and everyone around them by impossible standards leading to disastrous results.

From what I read, Galad's character: extravagant, social, good with people. Unless he experienced a change of character in the series? I stopped reading at a certain point, but unless that dude became a dead serious guy who is bad with his people skills I can't imagine him being anything like Stannis.

Let's be honest, Stannis didn't become a really respected character until he came to the Wall. Let's give him some time; at the same point in the books he's also a half-depressed wreck who is considering burning his nephew to obtain the Lord of Light's favor.

I liked the confession to his wife and his interaction with Shireen, but the babies in jars was very off-putting. I'm still not exactly sure what they are doing with tv Stannis. Stannis is a character in the books that I admire though I'm not a big fan like some on this forum. TV Stannis comes across differently than how I imagined him, but I think perhaps they are setting him up for a great redemption. At least, I hope they are.

When I think back to the books, I forget that for the duration of Book 2 and first quarter of Book 3 I did kind of see Stannis as the villain. So in that respect I think the show is following that pretty closely. I firsts taretd seeing Stannis in a different light after he talks with Davos (following his stint in the dungeons), the Florents had been urging Stannis to put a House to the sword whose Lord had betrayed him, and Stannis basically says how much that would be wrong etc and they have a good talk about doing ones the duty, that he's never wanted the crown but now it is his by law and so its his duty to rule. After that I really began to like Stannis, and Im hoping that scene with Davos will come up in the next couple of episodes.

i also think Stannis will replace Melisandre who goes to see Davos in the dungeon in the books, telling him all about how she is not the real enemy and that the real war is that of The Others. I think Stannis will reveal what he saw in Melisandre's flames at the end of S2.

I never saw a passion in book Stannis when it came to claiming the throne. He just felt it was the right thing to do.

He displays quite a bit of lust and ambition in the show. Except for this episode.

It was nice to see him as a family man. I do feel he displayed enough affection for the viewers by just strongly insisting to see his daughter. He can't show it to her but we know he wants to and doesn't know how.

Was selyse crazy in the books? I just thought she was a snob. It was actually really comical and although i enjoyed it i hope it doesn't ruin it for others. Stannis had the most hilarious look as soon as he knew he was off the hook. Kind of like, "lolol my wife is nuts"

I also loved these lines with Shireen.

"Mother said you were in a battle.."

*Stannis gives a look, 'damn woman'*

"Did you win?"

*Sits down, shuffling, eye contact*

*raises eye brows and looks down* "....no!"

I think Shireen is the key to getting Stannis out of the Queen's Men stance that he has taken in the TV series.

In the book, Stannis is in the middle with King's Men (Davos) and Queen's Men (the Florents). In the show, without the Florents (up till now), Stannis has been the Queen's Men while Davos is still the King's Man. I think Shireen is going to pull Stannis back to the King's Men side, culminating with the non-sacrifice and decision to go North.

The main problem I've found with Stannis in the show is that he made Davos his Hand too early. Once Davos is made his hand, Stannis gets a lot more exposition and shows more death. It's when he makes some of his best speeches and was really the point where Stannis won me over. The "we will make new lords," "brother or my king," and "no gods so cruel" speeches he makes solidify himself as a dutiful man and make him look much less fanatical. The show lacks this depth and characterization.

Hopefully, we will still get those speeches and Stannis will start to pull out from under Melisandre's thumb. This episode wasn't too bad with Stannis, although he is still defending Davos in the dungeon. That is another problem the show has created: in the books, the Florent's imprison Davos and Stannis releases him later. In the show, Stannis imprisoned him and ... is going to release him later? Or something. Who knows.

ok wait, i really think ya'll need to re-watch that scene again. If feels more like duty and obligation that brings stannis to visit his daughter. it is very clear that when shireen runs to hug him, he does not embrace her back. his conversation with her is very stiff, and he just gets up and walks out without a word. this is how i view his character in the books as well, which is why i just cannot like the man. his protection of the wall was very badass and admirable, I will give him that. but other than that, he's boring.

I don't think that redemption for Stannis is the word I'd use - but definitely sympathy for him.

I've known people like that, who are just incapable of showing their feelings, because it would make them vulnerable and they're terrified of rejection. It doesn't mean they don't feel anything. It's particularly common in men above a certain age, who were raised in different times - which means, IMO, that it suits Stannis perfectly. He's just not good with any social interaction unless there's a clear set of rules to follow. A lord is expected to do this, his bannerman should do that. Step outside the rules, and Stannis feels like he's not in control of the situation, which is a scary,scary thing.

Archived