(Book Spoilers) What do you make of the Shireen and Selyse?

Mr Smith

Re: Shireen's hair...I think there are sometimes concerns about dyeing children's hair, because of the health risks from the chemicals involved. That's probably why they didn't dye it. I'm glad they didn't go with a wig.

The actress for Shireen is so perfect. She was instantly charming and endearing. Where do they keep getting these A+ child actors?

I thought them not introducing Shireen in the second season was another corner being cut. I don't remember her being of much significance in the Books. I wonder if she'll have a bigger role in the great scheme of things that we haven't seen even in the books yet? Remember that they know how ASOIAF will end.

Could be that they just introduced her to bring depth to Stannis' character. Davos isn't going to learn reading on his own either!

Same here, when Shireen run up to Stannis and hugged him then she looked up at him, if my heart could melt at that point in time, it would. I like what they did with the Greyscale as well, I was expecting it to be more blackish but I think this is better.

What's up with the fetus?

Apparently instead of cold and bitchy they are playing Selyse obsessed and morbid. Keeping your stillborn or dead infants in jar's? Not good, not good

Re: Shireen's hair...I think there are sometimes concerns about dyeing children's hair, because of the health risks from the chemicals involved. That's probably why they didn't dye it. I'm glad they didn't go with a wig.

The actress for Shireen is so perfect. She was instantly charming and endearing. Where do they keep getting these A+ child actors?

They could use something that doesn't contain toxic components and is more natural to dye her hair. Just like they do with Sansa's.

ETA: Here. Go to page 3, where they talk about wigs and hair color.

http://fashionista.com/2012/06/game-of-thrones-hair-and-wardrobe-secrets-revealed/

Loved Shireen, she was such a sweet heart and her scenes were some of the best for the episode. I also liked how awkward Stannis was around her, you could tell he loved her so much and had no idea how to show it. Those few minutes really helped flesh out his character. About the blonde hair, maybe the ravages of grayscale made her hair turn white or something. I hope they have some excuse, or thats really gonna cause problems with the black hair=Baratheon case.

I was kinda disappointed initially in Selyse though, I found it odd that she seemed to have no love for her daughter at all, and she seemed much more commanding and aggressive in the books and less insane. She just doesn't strike me as the type of woman that will effectively move in and take over Castle Black after Stannis marches off for Winterfel. Book Selyse was even bossing the Lord Commander around, and didn't take shit from anyone. The woman was queen and she knew it. They did manage to show what a fanatic she was though. I won't be surprised at all if she burns the three pickled infants for Mels magic, I think she would eat Mels shit if she thought it would make Rhillor happy.

One things for sure, Dragonstone is going to be interesting this season.

This is what I thought at first but then, why did Melisandre leave?

PS: I hope they don't dare. They would totally ruin the Stannis character. Book Stannis would never sacrifice Shireen.

Unfortunately I disagree. I'm in constant fear Stannis will agree to burn his daughter. I think Jon snow will save her but still.

I watched the episode again last night and I have to say that Shireen is darling. The child actress who plays her makes her so endearing. I hope she is a major part of the story line, she is just great. And her interactions with Davos really warmed my heart. Maybe she will be the one Davos sends away to keep her from the fires in place of Edric Storm.

I caught that Selyse called one of the three fetuses "Edric". Ewww.....that is just so creepy. I don't know why they had to add them to the scene.....blech.

I think that if they didnt explain shireens greyscale what would the non readers think it is, or does it become irrelevant in all the theories

If they don't explain grayscale quick, non-readers are going to think she has Porridge Plague.

I swear if I have a daughter I want her to be a mix of Arya and Shireen. Funny, do you think Arya and Shireen would be friends? I don't think Shireen would mind Arya not being so ladylike, like it seems most highborn women do. They both are the kind of people to be friends with you if you'll be friends with them. I don't know, whatever.

All they had to do to tone down how unnecessary the dead babies were is to say that she believes they stand testament to the greatness of R'hllor, for where she had failed him, R'hllor was kind and blessed him. Helps shade that she's a lil crazy and also intensifies her religious fervor

Interesting how hard stannis is being set up as the weird, magic using bad guy in black with a creepy fetus keeping wife.

It works for TV.

The stannis purists will probably hate it, but, it does differentiate him from all the rest.

I don't know. Stannis is my top favorite character and I thought he was extremely in-character in his scenes with his family last episode. Very awkward and blunt. He also showed us how he feels compelled to always tell the truth. He was only weirdly adapted in 2x02 and in 3x03 so far IMHO.

Re: the stillborn kids, I made a thread about this but it doesn't seem to have been approved because [NO REASON PROVIDED].

I think they're going to be used instead of the leeches that Mel burns. There's three of them, plus King's Blood and all that. It's clear that Mel is going to bring back Gendry and Davos is going to talk Stan out of burning him. The fetuses will be his replacement.

Im a little confused here Re Gendry,is this something thats been revealed about the show?

I know hes not been shown yet but its Edric Storm Roberts bastard who Mel wanted in the book,since Gendry joined the Brotherhood he ceased to be in the book but I agree that he will pop up again just never knew in what capacity,reading this post does make sense for his storyline as he has kings blood in him and Stannis knew of him too.

most interesting?

Andrew

Im a little confused here Re Gendry,is this something thats been revealed about the show?

I know hes not been shown yet but its Edric Storm Roberts bastard who Mel wanted in the book,since Gendry joined the Brotherhood he ceased to be in the book but I agree that he will pop up again just never knew in what capacity,reading this post does make sense for his storyline as he has kings blood in him and Stannis knew of him too.

most interesting?

Andrew

I think Mel was shown in a trailer with BwB. And I believe it's in one of the episode synopses

I swear if I have a daughter I want her to be a mix of Arya and Shireen. Funny, do you think Arya and Shireen would be friends? I don't think Shireen would mind Arya not being so ladylike, like it seems most highborn women do. They both are the kind of people to be friends with you if you'll be friends with them. I don't know, whatever.

In the name of R'hllor, yes. Dozens of Aryas and Shireens running around, waking you up too early in the morning with the pointy end or a creepy song.

Lord of light, please bless me with tons of little witty girls.

• 1 year later...

I loved seeing Shireen - her interaction with Stannis almost bringing a humanity to him. Her time with Davos - while a little weird in how she was let into the dungeons to see a traitor placed there by the king - smooths over how he would get taught to read and creates a definite connection with the two.

Selyse - hmm. I thought she played crazy well, their interaction about his infidelity was interesting - it obviously bothers him greatly, but she is so fanatical about R'Hllor she doesn't care. Honestly though the Area 51 Aliens-in-a-Bottle really was a detractor, especially considering one of the bodies in there looked like a 3 year old, not a stillborn newborn.

She wasn't allowed to see him- she sneaked out and got the davos bc she knew the guard was drunk and usually fell asleep at a certain time. honestly if she's the only heir to "The one true King" as stannis calls himself, shouldn't she be more cared for? not locked away like some short hair rapunzel? just saying, thats pretty fucked up

selyse is just cray-that is all-

• 4 weeks later...

Archived