Favorite quotes from all the books?

RintrahsRoar

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.” - aGoT 429

How much can a crown be worth, when a crow can dine upon a king? - Ser Jaime to himself aFfC 174

"Men, they are the children" - Leaf aDwD 174

"Hodor...", whispered Hodor. - Hodor aDwD 169

"We're all just songs in the end, if we are lucky." - Catlyn aSoS 627

pg #s are for 2011 Bantam MM edition, except aDwD is Bantam h/c 1st printing

My all-time favourite monologue from the series:

"Soon I must return to the feast to toast my friends of Frey. They watch me, Ser. Day and night their eyes are on me, noses sniffing for some whiff of treachery. You saw them: the arrogant Ser Jared and his nephew Rhaegar, that smirking worm who wears a dragon's name. Behind them both stands Symond, clinking coins. That one has bought and paid for several of my servants and two of my knights. One of his wife's handmaids has found her way into the bed of my own fool. If Stannis wonders that my letters say so little, it is because I dare not even trust my Maester. Theomore is all head and no heart. You heard him in my hall. Maesters are supposed to put aside old loyalties when they don their chains, but I cannot forget that Theomore was born a Lannister of Lannisport, and claims some distant kinship to the Lannisters of Casterly Rock. Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me. My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter... but never think that means I have forgotten. The North remembers, Lord Davos. The North remembers, and the mummer's farce is almost done. My son is home".

(Lord Manderly, ADwD pt 1)

"The Hightower must be doing something!"

"To be sure. Lord Leyton's locked atop his tower with the Mad Maid, consulting books of spells. Might be he'll raise an army from the deeps. Or not".

(Captain of the Huntress, AFfC)

One of my favourite from Jaime.

“The king is eight. Our first duty is to protect him, which includes protecting him from himself. Use that ugly thing you keep inside your helm. If Tommen wants you to saddle his horse, obey him. If he tells you to kill his horse, come to me.”

Question: In that chapter Jaime says "I'm praised by one for a kindness I never did while reviled by many for what I consider to be my finest act."

What is thing he did where he is praised by one for a kindness he never did?

I'm pretty sure that the kindness he never did is buying a whore (Tysha) for Tyrion. This is one of the reasons Tyrion loves Jaime so much (well before he finds out he lies about this).

EDIT: Oh, and also (though it's been mentioned) my current sig is a pretty good quote,

Some have already said many favorite quotes of mine. Some that I like:

“The king is my son!” Cersei rose to her feet.

“Aye,” her uncle said, “and from what I saw of Joffrey, you are as unfit a mother as you are a ruler.”

“Were I you, my lady, I should worry less about Starks and rather more about sapphires." - Roose Bolton.

“Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.”(ASoS)

• 1 month later...

The whole Tower of Joy passage between Ned and the Kingsguard, probably my favourite.

Jaime's ''confession'' to Brienne in the bath's at Harrenhall.

''The North Remembers.'' Davos/Manderly

''In the North we hold guest right sacred, still.'' Coming from The Roose...

''The most beautiful woman in the world has urgent need of my axe.'' Victarion

Victarion boarding the ship off the Shield Islands - ''Who are you, Kraken?'' .... ''Your Death.''

The Crows Eye's reply to Damphair when he says '' No godless man must sit the Seastone chair.'' - It was something like '' I have seen men pray a thousand gods, from Ib to Asshai, but when they see the sails of the Silence, they pray.'' Not the exact quote but pretty badass.

Their just off the top of my head I have too many to list. ;)

Archived