[book spoilers] Nitpick without repurcussions

Winter's Knight

This pisses me off so bad, especially as Fairley is such a great actress and Cat is amazing.

Talisa is AWFUL.

Now that you mention it, that scene with Robb overlooking the map could have been done with Catelyn. The real problem with Talissa is not her character, but the fact that she is supposed to be there only to remind the viewers that Robb betrayed the Freys. I am perfectly ok with a love story between the two (TV), but they should have emphasized more Robb's treason.

Bad enough wasting time on Podrick and the whores, they had to call back to it this week? Jon Snow's story suffers and they want to go on and on about Podrick's talents?

I believe it's supposed to be a running gag and will be referenced in every episode from now on.

Next time in Essos, we will overhear two random whores discussing the extraordinary abilities of a certain squire from Westeros. It will be hilarious.

Now that you mention it, that scene with Robb overlooking the map could have been done with Catelyn. The real problem with Talissa is not her character, but the fact that she is supposed to be there only to remind the viewers that Robb betrayed the Freys. I am perfectly ok with a love story between the two (TV), but they should have emphasized more Robb's treason.

Oh no. The real problem is definitely her character. She's so poorly written.

I wouldn't have minded a character to replace all of Jeyne's family but one so poorly written and cliche as this? One that takes away a lot of Cat's good traits? Has too much screen time? Makes Robb look like a complete fool? Yeh, she's just terrible.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/86163-book-spoilers-talisa/page__st__80#entry4383208

I explain why here.

I believe it's supposed to be a running gag and will be referenced in every episode from now on.

Next time in Essos, we will overhear two random whores discussing the extraordinary abilities of a certain squire from Westeros. It will be hilarious.

When Howland Reed finally shows up in season 7 I believe his first words will be "Yes, I knew your father well, and I've many interesting stories to tell, but first let me tell you of the sexual prowess of a young squire called Poderick Payne"

I'm not a fan of Jon Snow. That said, the fact that they haven't bothered to develop any relationship between him and the wildlings is truly an epic failure.

Here we have Mance, the King Beyond the Wall, and aside from a brief dialogue about uniting people who hate each other against a common cause/threat, what exactly as viewers are we supposed to glean about this guy? The failure is that TPTB haven't provided the merest foundation to any Jon/Mance association, and in the absence viewers aren't allowed the window into what makes Mance & Jon more similar than different, what makes their interactions fundamental in building Jon's character and informing future decisions. Certainly, these can be addressed in future episodes, and it is my hope that they will be. But, for me presently, the idea that Mance was never given anything, but earned it is a theme so in keeping with the Jon Snow plot line that I'm somewhat stunned more hasn't been provided on screen. Jon must also earn everything because he remains so un-entitled to everything he is surrounded by, just as Thorne and Tyrion pointed out in S1.

It's little segues into Loras is Gay (!) and Podrick and his Thunder Pud that put me in mind to all the lost threads, the important back stories, those elemental character building necessities that fall by the wayside to make room.

It's a little nitpick, but huge for me since I really can't stand the Jon Snow trope.

I have to nitpick about a very annoying thing.

Every time Tywin ( or anyone else, really ) refers to Robb's army, they always call them 'twenty thousand unwashed northman'.

They totally ignore any type of battle casualties ( like you know, we saw 2000 men die straight out in the first season , and then subsequent battles, then a bunch more were murdered at harrenhall, etc ), and that the river lords and Freys have joined his army and they are not technically a 'northman'.

Now that he has lost half his army overnight ( LULZ ), I wonder what they will call it, ten thousand northman?

Oh and it really puts it into perspective how mad Robb was with Edmure after he WON his battle against the mountain and lost only ~200 men, and then in this episode he loses half his army.

Ah, the misadventures of Robb the moron.

My nonreading friends could not care less about Jon and the Wildlings

And therein lies the the great failure of the season IMHO. My unsullied friends don't care at all for that story and if they do ask its about when do they get to see the 'zombies' again.

Actually it could be said to be a failing of last season too.

Lord Commander Mormont: Come on Jon lets go for a walk in the snow

*walk walk walk

Lord Commander Mormont: Well Craster doesn't like you Jon, so lets go for a walk in the snow

*walk walk walk

Lord Commander Mormont: Right we are going to camp here at the Fist. Jon, you go walking with Qhorin

*walk walk walk

Qhorin: OK Jon, this is a Wildling. Kill her

*walk walk walk

Qhorin: You didn't kill her? OK, kill me then

*walk walk walk

Ygritte: Go in that tent Jon

Mance: You're on our side? Good. Lets go for a walk in the snow.

*walk walk walk

Ygritte: Wow Jon now we are in love!!!

Season 1 Jon was seen as a BAMF by viewers, now his scenes are seen as a good time to check the phone for messages or wonder when the next 'Caleesy' scene will be (and I have seen that spelling as recently as today)

One thing that truly annoyed me was Beric's half-assed attempt to block hound's slash right before the end. It just didn't seem realistic. I'm hazy regarding the book , but I thought Beric was really close to offing Sandor but the hound managed to kill him only by shattering his sword through sheer strength and desperation.

Yes, and that is what happened. Sandor's overhead stroke sheared through Beric's blocking sword, and then his shoulder.

The sword in the lord. :dunno:

When beric falls to his knees the sword is plunged halfway through his torso. Cut to peoples reactions & thoros rushing over and the sword has DISAPEERED. No one pulls it out of him, it's not on the ground just gone...

Baby jars were pretty jarring & took me out of the episode.

I didn't realize it at the time but yeh blond shireen...

Shireen is blond. What happened to Ned's "Baratheon: black of hair"? A war was started on the pretext of that little piece of evidence, ffs.

I suppose Robert & Stannis's mother could have had recessive blonde and Stannis got it whereas Robert did not. Assuming fairly simple Medelian genetics D(ark) b(lond), Robert as DD, all of his kids would be dark, whereas if Stannis were Db, he'd be dark but Shireen could be blonde. Incidentally, Stannis is a DB, regardless. ;)

Yeah, I know, that's why I accepted Ned's beheading and all with Valyrian.

But comparing Karstark muscularity and Robb's... I just don't find it likely. Perhaps If you hit precisely between cranial 2 & 3... Well... meds student gonna meds you know... It's the same with the 'instant death by arrow in bowels'.

But hey, nitpick withour repercussions, right? ;)

Is the story better/worse/the same showing multi-hacks? Viewers will come away thinking Rob is physically weak, which is not the proper takeaway from the scene. So that is a good choice to subvert "realism" to storytelling.

I've heard some nitpicking about Tyrion being whitewashed in the last scene this episode. I agree that he's been whitewashed in general but wasn't that his initial reaction in the books as well? Or am I misremembering?

I've heard some nitpicking about Tyrion being whitewashed in the last scene this episode. I agree that he's been whitewashed in general but wasn't that his initial reaction in the books as well? Or am I misremembering?

It was very similar to the first part of that scene in the books, in that he rejects it as being cruel. but in the book, it continues and he actually starts to see it as an opportunity to further his ambition.

It was very similar to the first part of that scene in the books, in that he rejects it as being cruel. but in the book, it continues and he actually starts to see it as an opportunity to further his ambition.

I admit I'm in for a reread. And I certainly hope that they include that development later on (though I'm not hopeful.). Coming from a massive Tyrion fan I really don't like the simplification of Tyrion into a clever comic relief character.

I admit I'm in for a reread. And I certainly hope that they include that development later on (though I'm not hopeful.). Coming from a massive Tyrion fan I really don't like the simplification of Tyrion into a clever comic relief character.

Same here, and some of the Unsullied of the TWoP consider him "the purest definition of 'good, strong and kind'."

The nitpick thread! yeah finally! but I don't know what to say... at this point there are just too many things.

Well I'll start with some:

1. The Hound not having his badass quote:

"For the night is dark and full of terrors" - Thoros

"This cave is dark too, but I'm the terror here" - The Hound

2. Sandor not crying when he was burned by the fire.

3. Whatever happened to the "when the sun has set, not canddle can replace it" Loras I knew and loved?

4. Jon saying "Seven hells".

5. Olenna.... enough! it's becoming annoying!

6. Shireen is BLONDE!!!!!

7. Tyrion's been extreme whitewashed I DONT LIKE IT!!! (and this is coming from a very big Tyrion fan!)

ETA:

8. Selyse...everything about her, specially the jar-babies and trying to not let Stannis see his own daughter.

QOT it is getting annoying We get it she is feisty old lady

Where are Tormund's Har!s !!!!???

No mention of his Member at all, no Sense of humor at all :(

Archived