i will call you M'Lady. (SPOILERs to NON Book READERS)

It's quite possible that Gendry didn't feel the same affection and closeness as Arya did for him and he was trying to be polite. He just didn't see her as family...In the book version Arya is hurt by Gendry's abandonment as well ...she goes on about her pack breakign up ....but that was quite a poignant scene ...especially in light of her family being broken apart.

Gendry uses the more term "My Lady", rather than "Milady". Or am I hearing things? Do you think he is over-emphasizing the separation between them? It seems so formal. I do think there are those who will read it as a term of courtly love. Who is to say they are wrong?

You're hearing things Gendry says milady, like it's one word which is what Tywin was talking about, Gendry is uneducated, he cannot read therefore he cannot know that "my lady" is two words thus he says them together milady.

But what if it is revealed that Gendry really is Robert and Cersei's kid.

Gendry did tell Ned that his mother had yellow hair and Cersei could have easily killed or paid off anyone who knows that she actually gave birth to Gendry.

Cersei did tell Cat that she lost a child one time. What if she lied and actually had one of Robert's children and Gendry is it.

The child that Cersei had died, so Cersei instead threw him out to be raised by a different woman with yellow hair that would sing to him and worked at a tavern?

Or are you going to claim that for the first few years of Gendry's life that Cersei would disguise herself as a commoner to go see her son all the time?

The what if's in there are a crack pot theory. First problem? I believe that Gendry is too old to be Robert and Cersei's son. Cersei and Robert have been married for seventeen years so Gendry at most could be sixteen in Game of Thrones.... He seems older.

Robert probably knocked up Gendry's mom before he was even married to Cersei.

If R+L =J, then R+C=G is possible.

That breaks all the laws of logic I've ever seen. Those two things have nothing to do with eachother. R+L=J has factual evidence that supports it, R+C=G doesn't have a leg to stand on in the books and I doubt that they'd make him Cersei's son in the show because it's changing too much of the plot from "A story of a Song of Fire and Ice" to "The Legend of King Arthur"

To make it an even better twist. Gendry and Joffery could be twins. Jamie is Joffery's father while Robert is Gendry's father. It is possible for a woman to have twins with 2 different fathers.

You've been watching too much Maury Povich. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it happened.

Hey All,

great episode last night, I apologise for not having my book to confirm this, but i do not recall this statement from Gendry to Arya in the books, that she wold be his family and he says that he would call her M'Lady.

Is this D&D knowing more about the future and setting up a more visible foundation for future relationship between the two?

I must have been so desperate that when I first saw that scene I read it as "I dont want to be your family, I want you to be my lady". On second watching I wondered how I could have seen it as that. It seems more obvious that he wa saying "I would always be beneath you in standing, we can never be family".

I maintain for Arya and Gendry but here doesnt seem the place to look

You're hearing things Gendry says milady, like it's one word which is what Tywin was talking about, Gendry is uneducated, he cannot read therefore he cannot know that "my lady" is two words thus he says them together milady.

The child that Cersei had died, so Cersei instead threw him out to be raised by a different woman with yellow hair that would sing to him and worked at a tavern?

Or are you going to claim that for the first few years of Gendry's life that Cersei would disguise herself as a commoner to go see her son all the time?

The what if's in there are a crack pot theory. First problem? I believe that Gendry is too old to be Robert and Cersei's son. Cersei and Robert have been married for seventeen years so Gendry at most could be sixteen in Game of Thrones.... He seems older.

Robert probably knocked up Gendry's mom before he was even married to Cersei.

That breaks all the laws of logic I've ever seen. Those two things have nothing to do with eachother. R+L=J has factual evidence that supports it, R+C=G doesn't have a leg to stand on in the books and I doubt that they'd make him Cersei's son in the show because it's changing too much of the plot from "A story of a Song of Fire and Ice" to "The Legend of King Arthur"

You've been watching too much Maury Povich. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it happened.

Maury is very entertaining.

I feel Gendry has a role to play. Hopefully he and Arya will rule as King and Queen. Ned thought Gendry looked just like Robert and that Arya looked like Lyanna...

I think there is more than one way to look at what Gendry said to her. Yes, going with the Brotherhood in a sense of choosing his own fate/family, and yet I can't help but think of the Tywin/Arya scene from last season:

Quote:

Tywin Lannister
: Girl,
m'Lord
. Low born girls say
m'Lord
, not
my Lord
. If you're going to pose as a commoner, you should do it properly.

Arya Stark
: My mother served Lady Dustive for many years, my Lord. She taught me how to speak proper... properly.

Tywin Lannister
: You're too smart for your own good. Has anyone told you that?

Arya Stark
: Yes.

Gendry uses the more term "My Lady", rather than "Milady". Or am I hearing things? Do you think he is over-emphasizing the separation between them? It seems so formal. I do think there are those who will read it as a term of courtly love. Who is to say they are wrong?

That was pulled all the way back from ADwD , tho a conversation between two different characters.

I guess I don't know my English class history very well.

Was there a time when there were class distinctions between 'milady', 'my lady', 'milord', 'my lord' ... I thought it was a dialect sort of thing?

I notice on the show there are few slips. High born and low born watch the references to 'mi' and 'my' in the scripts , tho guessing there have been slips.

But what if it is revealed that Gendry really is Robert and Cersei's kid.

Gendry did tell Ned that his mother had yellow hair and Cersei could have easily killed or paid off anyone who knows that she actually gave birth to Gendry.

Cersei did tell Cat that she lost a child one time. What if she lied and actually had one of Robert's children and Gendry is it.

Mind = Blown. I did not think of that...

That was pulled all the way back from ADwD , tho a conversation between two different characters.

I guess I don't know my English class history very well.

Was there a time when there were class distinctions between 'milady', 'my lady', 'milord', 'my lord' ... I thought it was a dialect sort of thing?

I notice on the show there are few slips. High born and low born watch the references to 'mi' and 'my' in the scripts , tho guessing there have been slips.

You missed my reference a bit. This was a direct transcription of the Tywin/Arya scene from Season 2. You are thinking of the original version from the book, and I was referring to the show version. The Tywin/Arya scene made a point of the teminology difference, and I was pondering what the Gendry/Arya interaction meant. I have watched it yet again, and I can definitely see it is written with Gendry emphasizing the separation between their stations. Doesn't mean the shippers can't dream....

I think deep down the proiducers/writers are hinting at something. When Gendry says 'I will call you m'lady', he means that if they wanted to be family it would be through marriage. The only reason i think this is because in the same episode, when Stannis visits Selyse, he calls her 'M'Lady'. So it mustn't be just be a term for low born to refer to highborn. Stannis never used this phrase in the show before - could be a little bit of a foreshadowing.

Also, we know Arya pretty much forfeits her claim to anything as a Stark/Highborn when she runs off to Braavos.

However, this is all speculation.

I think it's both. I think it is directly referencing the class division, since at this point Gendry doesn't know his parentage, and it is also setting up a future relationship between the two. But I also believe that GRRM sets that relationship up in the books - I could be wrong.

It doesn't make much sense to me this relationship-to be meaning because Gendry is talking about staying with the BWB which is parting with Arya. They probably won't meet again until much later so, why to put that notion out there when a lot of time will have to pass to actually (and eventually) happen? Besides, she's a child and he isn't, I think we have enough creepiness with LF and Sansa.

I must have been so desperate that when I first saw that scene I read it as "I dont want to be your family, I want you to be my lady". On second watching I wondered how I could have seen it as that. It seems more obvious that he wa saying "I would always be beneath you in standing, we can never be family".

I maintain for Arya and Gendry but here doesnt seem the place to look

I agree Batman. I watched the scene again and again and now I see what everyone else has stated. His response of "I will call you M'Lady" is pointing out to the fact that she is noble and him a bastard and therefore at this point in the story, he can not see them being family.

I do hope... that they do end up together though, sick - right?

I don't know now, I just watched it again and again... I am sticking with my original view of this scene... I think it is a small plug for something that is to come... Call me crazy, call me maybe.

I think the double meaning was what they were going for. It emphasizes what Arya fails to see in the books, which is that Gendry is very aware of their social standings (think about the Ned Dayne/bastard convo and how angry he gets).

But it can also be taken as a shout-out to the shippers. I mean, they had to cut out Acorn Hall and the Peach scenes because if they had played that out on screen it would have looked extremely pervy.

I think they did an excellent job of establishing what GRRM did, which is that they've been through hell together and have a bond because of it.

Maury is very entertaining.

I feel Gendry has a role to play. Hopefully he and Arya will rule as King and Queen. Ned thought Gendry looked just like Robert and that Arya looked like Lyanna...

Gendry is a blacksmith and a knight, why would that make him a good king? Because he's Robert's bastard son? Again that is turning this story into something straight out of a Legend of King Arthur.

~~~~~~~~~~

so the fact that their dad and aunt were suppose to get married is going to force Arya who is the reincarnated spirit of Lyanna and Robert's bastard son to get married?

Lyanna didn't want to marry Robert. Robert loved her till his dying day because she was the unattainable girl for him, had he actually married her, he probably would've grown bored with her and went back to his lifestyle( just speculation, it's what Lyanna believed as well). Instead he drown his sorrow in wine and women and never got over his teenage crush.

The line was certainly chosen to have a possible double meaning to the viewer. This is true even if Gendry only meant it in its explicit context of the social class difference between the two. They could have framed the line in a way that would have been much less loaded, but they didn't.

In the book there is one particular scene that clearly has romantic undertones. The scene in the show conveyed the same essential dynamic between the two characters; there is a potential something between the characters, but at this stage, neither of them are willing to acknowledge that, especially Arya who is really too young to pick up on such things in the books.

I took it purely as a class statement. I'm not sure if I would even like for Arya and Gendry to have a relationship, it would mean an entire reversal of her entire story to this point to end up as a wife and mother.

Hah, yeah, as much as I want them to be reunited at some point in the future, I just don't see Arya ever agreeing to be a wife, let alone a mother.

It would take some masterful writing to bring her back from where she is now. But I suppose if GRRM did want that, he has the talent to pull it off.

Archived