The "Bittersweet" Ending

Gaz0680

By promising us a "bittersweet" ending, GRRM has certainly created a lot of speculation amongst readers. If any of the ASoIaF books to date are any indication though, it's a good bet the ending will have more "bitter" elements than "sweet".

So, what do people think the bittersweet ending will be?

I think we can rule out a complete apocalyptic type ending where absolutely everyone dies and there is no hope at all for a future. Similarly, we can also rule out a completely happy fairytale type ending.

The whole ASoIaF series has been all about the "grey"....to have a completely black and white ending would be an incredible disappointment in almost every way possible and completely contradictory to the spirit of the series.

I think one of the most bittersweet endings imaginable (and probably the hardest for fans to deal with) would be this:

Bitter - The complete and utter end of the Stark family and bloodline. Sansa, Arya, Bran, Rickon and Jon Snow all dead, with no remaining blood kin.

Sweet - The deeds of the Starks before their deaths saves Westeros from the threat of the Others, brings the players of the Game of Thrones to their knees, and establishes a brighter future for all of Westeros than before.

As popular as families like the Lannisters, Baratheons and Targaryens are, I don't think any hold as much importance or meaning overall to readers/viewers than the Starks. Hell, as far as the Lannisters go, a lot of people seem to expect the complete ruin of that House before the series ends.

But the Starks we've been with since the start...we've journeyed so far with all of them (some of them to death) and the Stark family has had far more POV's than any other - Ned, Catelyn, Sansa, Arya, Bran and Jon Snow. Even the Starks without PoV's we were invested in such as Robb the King in the North and little Rickon.

With most authors, I'd say they would and could never do this to their fans. But GRRM is a different matter. For him, I'd say something like this is definitely a possibility.

How would you handle an ending such as the end of the Stark line that leaves a brighter future for the remaining people of Westeros????

Also, what are some other really bittersweet endings people see as a genuine possibilitiy for ASoIaF??

Hi, welcome to the forum :cheers:

I don`t know about your definition of `apocalyptic` but the end of Stark line is pretty apocalyptic to me. Bittersweet end shouldn`t be taken literally, GRRM used it to describe just that this isn`t going to end with `happily ever after`.

How would you handle an ending such as the end of the Stark line that leaves a brighter future for the remaining people of Westeros????

I would handle it fairly well. I would make a toast for the end of the Starks and I would weep for the Lannisters. But life would go on.

i think u r right is all possible just cant imagine him kill off arya

I definitely can see him killing off Arya. A lot of people are already doubting she'll escape the series with her life. In fact, I'd guess more people are expecting Arya to die than Sansa or Bran or even Jon Snow to.

Arya is already heading down a potentially very dark path...I'm hoping she manages to get herself together before the end and does not die because she's one of my favourite characters. That said, I have this niggling feeling she's going to end up killing another Stark at some point, then dying after that (or taking her own life).

could be, in some way considering stark's words "winter is coming", considering they made the Wall, they made NW, considering how there always must be stark in WF, and that starks have manned the for thousands of years, you'd somehow think, that fighting the winter is their only purpose.

I think we can rule out a complete apocalyptic type ending where absolutely everyone dies and there is no hope at all for a future.

I don't necessarily know that we can. It may play out that the war for the Iron Throne ends. The old wounds are finally healed, the true heir sits the throne, and unites the people, high and low, under a just and compassionate ruler. The game of thrones is over, the petty feuding ends, and the people of Westeros regret what they've done to each other. Westeros realises what a terrible and destructive conflict they've suffered, and takes steps to never allow themselves to become so savage and so callous again.

But it's too late. The Wall has fallen. A new Long Night has come. The harvests were destroyed, the supplies are inadequate. In a few years, all will be dead. The people of Westeros finally achieved their societal peace, learnt their lessons and how to treat each other with kindness, but it was too late.

Sadly, they remain cold and forlorn, with their dream of spring.

I dont know about other charatcers, but one bittersweet ending might be Jon being AAR/TPTWP and leading the fight against The Others, but sacrificing himself to defeat them. Bittersweet because he defeats The Others but dies as a result.

It may play out that the war for the Iron Throne ends. The old wounds are finally healed, the true heir sits the throne, and unites the people, high and low, under a just and compassionate ruler. The game of thrones is over, the petty feuding ends.

This part sounds just as I imagine Stannis to be king.

Anyways, I think the most important spoiler GRRM gives about the ending is the "snow blowing over graveyard" part.

The great thing about these books being out for so long and for so much time in between is that there are so many niche fans of every little thing he can't possibly upset every single one of us. No matter how it ends I'm sure there will be more than a few who are thrilled about it, and more than a few who are not so thrilled about it. Either way only time will tell. Personally the title of the last book is what worries me.

I think the title is what leads to the bitter sweet ending. The characters see victory before them, and have great hopes that their will be a happy ending, before they are all slaughtered. Of course there will be survivors but it is possible that the story ends with a long winter, and even tho they win the war, the harsh conditions of nature make them struggle to survive, but they still hold on to hope that their will be better days.

I hope it is at least not some sort of an open ending. What I really wish for is closure. When the last book gets published even I who started reading after viewing the fist season of GOT will have waited for quite a long time for the ending, so I really hope that GRRM gives the story proper closure.

Every chance that the known Starks will die, but many people on this forum suspect that Jayne is in hiding with a little Stark on the way. Perhaps that will be the bitter sweet element? A peaceful union between a Targ south and a Stark north, but with all the current POV Starks and Dany dead?

I thought that was the case and hoped it would be as Westerlings have blood of the first men in them (if I remember correctly), until D&D cast a Volantis girl instead of Jeyne Westerling, basically saying Westerling is not important to the overall plot. Shame.

I've always been worried for Rickon. He's just a baby, 4 years old when it all started so only 6 or 7 now if he's still with us.

Rickon's death would be bitter, poor kid never had a chance, but if he lives on in Shaggy and Shaggy ends up with Sansa?

Cue the tears, you can't get more bittersweet than that for a Stark fan.

Of Course, Sansa & Arya are no safer than Rickon just because they still have an active story.

Bran started the story and I think he'll be the one to finish it too.

I think the title is what leads to the bitter sweet ending. The characters see victory before them, and have great hopes that their will be a happy ending, before they are all slaughtered. Of course there will be survivors but it is possible that the story ends with a long winter, and even tho they win the war, the harsh conditions of nature make them struggle to survive, but they still hold on to hope that their will be better days.

Yeah, A Dream Of Spring sounds like it may still be winter when it's all said and done. And he has said, in at least one interview that I've seen, that he has more stories planned for Westeros after the series, but that could just be more D&E which is cool by me.

Archived