Stannis's army after Renly's death

TOCR815

I'm aware that after Renly was murdered by Melisandre, the Stormlords and the Florents went over to Stannis. What I don't understand is why the other Reachmen like the Green and Red apple Fossoways chose to turn instead of leaving with Loras. Shouldn't they follow the direction of their liege lord before declaring for Stannis or they just thought to take the initiative?

Also what happened to the remainder of the Stormland army at Bitterbridge? Did they follow Mace Tyrell after that or join up with Stannis as he marched on King's Landing? It was never stated in ACOK.

Sheer speculation but, they decided to root for the rightful heir rather than go over to the Lannisters?

I'm not sure about the second point you made at all.

Sorry I've just came across this part in my re-read and Stannis mentions they're clearly after glory and power so it seems there's nothing more to it than they think Stannis will be the victor.

• 1 month later...

The Fossaways and other houses might still have been in shock at Renly's death, a lot of his army was. They probably thought to bide their time, staying neutral for mow, before joining the supposed victor's army. Sort of like what the Lannisters did when Robert usurped the throne twenty years earlier.

Archived