Jaquen Hagar

I'm only a third of the way through ADWD but i was just reading tyrions chapter where he talks about the books he wished he had and he mentioned one book called the death of dragons.

He states that the only copy is locked in a vault beneath the citadel. I'm thinking this book shows a dragons weaknesses and that is what jaquen hagar wanted when he stole the key to the vault at the start of feast for crows...

I'm just curious because its te only book that tyrion states its current location.

Anyone care to share there feelings on this matter

That's an interesting theory.

There's been a lot of speculation that the dragons are the key to defeating the Others. Perhaps someone hired Jaqen to steal the book so that they could find out how to kill Dany's dragons so that nothing would be able to stop the Others. Maybe this person wants to wipe out the people of Westeros.

There's been a lot of speculation that the dragons are the key to defeating the Others. Perhaps someone hired Jaqen to steal the book so that they could find out how to kill Dany's dragons so that nothing would be able to stop the Others. Maybe this person wants to wipe out the people of Westeros.

Or maybe they just want to get rid of the Dragons in case they threaten their dominion. Thanks to those Dragons, Qarth's Warlocks are gone, Yunkai has been defeated and both Meereen and Astapor have been taken. They are the power base of Dany's forces and their return seems to have enhanced the powers of the followers of R'hllor.

These are enough reasons for any other organization to fear them and preferrably to learn how to kill them.

That's interesting. The book may contain a lot of written (and confidential) infos about the dragons and their deaths.

AFFC spoiler (just in case):

Maester Marwyn mentioned to Sam that the Maesters of the Citadel had something to do about the dragon's demised.

I'm still intrigued what was Jaqen's original mission in ACOK: if he really want to go to the Wall, or just getting a ride with the NW recruits. Anyway, that book could be his new mission since a long time had passed when he and Arya separated, and the dragons were already a known fact in Essos. This is indeed an interesting thing to know. Also, GRRM said that we'll learn more about the Targaryen dragons in the next two books, so this could be one of the bits.

I'm only a third of the way through ADWD but i was just reading tyrions chapter where he talks about the books he wished he had and he mentioned one book called the death of dragons.

He states that the only copy is locked in a vault beneath the citadel. I'm thinking this book shows a dragons weaknesses and that is what jaquen hagar wanted when he stole the key to the vault at the start of feast for crows...

I'm just curious because its te only book that tyrion states its current location.

Anyone care to share there feelings on this matter

Yes, and I'll bet that The Death of Dragons was written by Septon Barth just like Dragons, Wyrms, and Wyverns: Their Unnatural History. The fact that all his writings were ordered destroyed by Baelor the Blessed nicely explains why they are so difficult to find in the current story ;)

From hearing what Quaithe (shadowbinder), and the high red priests of Essos, The Others will bring a never ending night and kill everyone in the world not just Westeros. Info on the Others might also be in that book, sense hardly any people currently believe in Dragon's, WW, Giants and snargles(see Cercei and her quickness to dismiss any such talk at the Small Council). Cercei need to be killed by a Dragon or the Others, it will be just.

Yeah i'm sure there are countless people who would want the dragons dead. I personally want them to die too (it's just too much power for anybody). But the question is who has the money to pay a faceless man, not just to kill but to do a full on under-cover mission. illyrio? maybe to make sure the dragons survive and to keep an eye on the maesters??

as for Jaqens first mission, my belief is that he had some knowledge of the others and wanted to see how secure the wall was?

also The faceless men im sure always finish their mission so maybe the citadel is part of his original one.

Yeah i'm sure there are countless people who would want the dragons dead. I personally want them to die too (it's just too much power for anybody). But the question is who has the money to pay a faceless man, not just to kill but to do a full on under-cover mission. illyrio? maybe to make sure the dragons survive and to keep an eye on the maesters??

as for Jaqens first mission, my belief is that he had some knowledge of the others and wanted to see how secure the wall was?

also The faceless men im sure always finish their mission so maybe the citadel is part of his original one.

The theory that the faceless men are in cahoots with the iron bank of bravos provides a possible motive for Jaquen- especially given bravos and it's history.

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing I could think of that the Citadel could come with to rid the world of dragons is to make them sterile......they probably concocted some type of formula that would cause them to be malformed and eventually not be able to reproduce at all....the question does Jaquen want that book to hide it ....or does he want to enact whats in it to get rid of Dany's dragons....

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that it is an interesting theory, and it would be plausible that someone hired Jaqen to steal the book in order to accomplish all this. However, I fail to see who would benefit from such a thing? Is there currently a known, living, 'humanly' faction that would want this? Very possible that my knowledge of the books simply does not go this far, but I really can't think of anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

It's also possible that it's someone who knows Jon is Azor Ahai(if he is ofcourse) and wants to prvent Dany from killing him (what she will do if she finds out about R+L=J).

There's actually a long theory called the Grand Faceless Men Conspiracy, which proposes that their endgame is to wipe out all human life. After all, valar morghulis translates to "all men must die." Look it up, it's probably not true in large parts, but a very, very interesting read.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe, Eddard Stark was a warg too! He broke a spell before he died and made Bran's and Dany's power stronger. As a result, Dany could wake the dragon.

:cool4:

Also, he could have warged into Jacken and look for revenge! although, he might have killed Tywin, if he wanted to in the first place.

Sometimes, it is hard to interpret Eddard's chapters bc I think he knows more than he or GRRM let us know; however, for some reason this character is on denial and does not tell the whole story.

Archived