Dunk and Brienne

In the Hedge Knight comic, we first see ser Duncan the Tall take up his falling star and oak sigil.

Brienne later recalls seeing a shield in her father's armory and has her own shield repainted to match it.

Is this a deeper connection or do you think it was just a "Ooh, pretty picture" moment?

I'm bringing this up because a Feast for Crows featured a descendant of Dunk, which got me thinking. Who else could it possibly be?

Exactly. That's what I'm thinking too, but it seems to me that it is a bit too obvious for GRRM's usual tastes.

Actually I would think it wouldn't be that noticeable as some readers of ASOIAF don't read Dunk and Egg, and it's only a little hint.

It is known.

Anyway, I thought it was a fairly subtle hint from GRRM - Dunk isn't mentioned anywhere in any of Brienne's POVs that I recall, but the description of the shield was pretty much definitive IIRC. I think it's canon enough to be in the wiki. (going to check)

ETA: there is mention of this "widespread speculation" in Brienne's page on the wiki, and there's another page to the same effect in the 'theories' category.

I don't even feel like it is implied in a subtle way... GRRM makes it pretty darn clear.

The only thing we're missing at this point is the story of how Dunk ends up starting a family lineage considering he becomes a KG.

I guess this makes Podrick a stand in for Egg?

No it makes Jaime the stand in for Egg. In the Dunk and Egg stories a Targ prince says to Dunk "I dreamed of you." just as Jaime says to Brienne. Also, Egg shaves his head to avoid recognition just like Jaime does when he starts out on his journey with Brienne. :devil:

No it makes Jaime the stand in for Egg. In the Dunk and Egg stories a Targ prince says to Dunk "I dreamed of you." just as Jaime says to Brienne. Also, Egg shaves his head to avoid recognition just like Jaime does when he starts out on his journey with Brienne. :devil:

I do see your point about Jaime but the Targ prince with the dream wasn't actually Egg right? I think what works for Pod as Egg is his youth, his position relative to a mentor who acts like a true knight but probably isn't really one, and his innocent perspicacity.

What would seal the deal in either direction is if one of them were a secret Targ ;)

I do see your point about Jaime but the Targ prince with the dream wasn't actually Egg right? I think what works for Pod as Egg is his youth, his position relative to a mentor who acts like a true knight but probably isn't really one, and his innocent perspicacity.

What would seal the deal in either direction is if one of them were a secret Targ ;)

Yup, exactly. :cool4:

I guess this makes Podrick a stand in for Egg?

Wow, hadn't thought of that. Yes! Pod/Egg, both three letter nicknames, both kind of similar in meaning. Like, a pod containing a seed, and egg. OK that's just a kinda-sorta. But yeah there are other similarities.

I just don't see it being Old Nan. The chick that's kissing him in the Godswood is just standing on her toes, Dunk is 6'11", the only chick who could kiss him just by standing on her toes is Tansy Too-Tall. Old Nan is supposed to be a little bitty thing.

I just don't see it being Old Nan. The chick that's kissing him in the Godswood is just standing on her toes, Dunk is 6'11", the only chick who could kiss him just by standing on her toes is Tansy Too-Tall. Old Nan is supposed to be a little bitty thing.

Maybe she shrunk with old age

Archived