Why do people like Drogo?

AchillesReborn

I have no problem liking a villainous character, personally

This. Why is everyone bringing up questions like "Why do people like <insert name here>, he totally raped/killed/blablabal"? Drogo's a badass character that people like to watch/read about, doesn't really mean they appreciate real life killer rapists.

It doesn't matter if he was a good brother or not, Drogo and Viserys had a deal, and Drogo betrayed him.

But as soon as Dany became impregnated, her child had a right to the throne, and Drogo would of fought for his kin instead of Viserys. At least that is probably what Viserys thought when he threatened the child's life. Even if Drogo wasn't going to betray him, at the drunken moment Viserys felt betrayed.

NO. Viserys comes in line before Dany's son. Drogo did not have any intention on invading Westeros at that time, anyways. The Dothraki are afraid of the see, so they would never attempt to invade Westeros. Dany's son would have been the stallion that mounts the world. He was going to unite all the Khalasars. But not conquer Westeros. So Viserys was just being impatient. Drogo decided to invade Westeros because Dany convinced him, and that was after Viserys was killed, not before.

Lol Pathetic little man, you must be referring to Viserys. I don't necessarily think he would be worse than joffrey. He grew up with his brother rheagar who probably taught him some morals. But he lost everything, to go from that kind of wealth to poverty is probably quit shocking.

Viserys had shown signs of demency like his father since a very early age. Rhaegar taught him little morals if any. Rhaegar was busy raising his own family. Besides, Rhaegar was much older than Viserys, they did not exactly grew up together, and probably didn't share a lot of time. He would have been worse than Joffrey, at leat Joffrey didn't considered himself a "Dragon".

Nonsense. Book canon is book canon. How can the Tv show be truer than what's written in ink, in the source material? Pffft.

True but people tend to differ in opinions on what would happen in reality when dealing with fantasy. Either way I agree that the Book version of the story is far better, and a more accurate interpretation of reality.

NO. Viserys comes in line before Dany's son. Drogo did not have any intention on invading Westeros at that time, anyways. The Dothraki are afraid of the see, so they would never attempt to invade Westeros. Dany's son would have been the stallion that mounts the world. He was going to unite all the Khalasars. But not conquer Westeros. So Viserys was just being impatient. Drogo decided to invade Westeros because Dany convinced him, and that was after Viserys was killed, not before.

I'm simply trying to interpret the situation from Viserys POV. It doesn't mean he was right, in fact it is what got him killed.

I'm surprised you'd mention something like that which probably undermines your whole post.

If they are so afraid of the sea and do not want to cross it, why the hell did they agree to the pact with Viserys in the first place?

I'm surprised you'd mention something like that which probably undermines your whole post.

If they are so afraid of the sea and do not want to cross it, why the hell did they agree to the pact with Viserys in the first place?

I never understood that part of the deal to be fair. But then I didn't make the deal. Maybe the Dothraki didn't even know where they were going? Viserys wasn't a genius, either. :dunno:

Nonsense. Book canon is book canon. How can the Tv show be truer than what's written in ink, in the source material? Pffft.

Have you even read my initial post?

Oh and maybe a good note to make about the differences between Drogo and Dany’d “first time” in the books and their “first time“ on the show. IIRC I recently read an interview in which GRRM stated that looking back at aGoT, he would have liked to rewrite the first sex scene between Dany and Drogo because he thought that that scene was “to romantic” in the books.

Thus, GRRM said himself that the shows interpretation (which wasn’t romantic at all) was truer to what he intended than what is actually there on paper (or how the general public choses to interpret that scene from the books as Dany+Drogo = <3). He probably thought that the initial scene was strong enough to get the rappy vibe across (Dany is 13 in the books). But in some weird way a lot of people found that scene romantic and that wasn’t what he intended to do there. The show on the other hand is a lot more in your face about it, so you can’t possibly find that scene romantic.

He comes from a culture where less than 3 deaths at a wedding is considered a dull affair. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

At least he protects Dany.

Hey I don't hate him, just curious why so many fan-girls like someone who is portrayed as a rapist. Kind of makes me question where society is headed. (Of course this statement would refer to the show version, not the book version.)

Have you even read my initial post?

Oh and maybe a good note to make about the differences between Drogo and Dany’d “first time” in the books and their “first time“ on the show. IIRC I recently read an interview in which GRRM stated that looking back at aGoT, he would have liked to rewrite the first sex scene between Dany and Drogo because he thought that that scene was “to romantic” in the books.

Thus, GRRM said himself that the shows interpretation (which wasn’t romantic at all) was truer to what he intended than what is actually there on paper (or how the general public choses to interpret that scene from the books as Dany+Drogo = <3). He probably thought that the initial scene was strong enough to get the rappy vibe across (Dany is 13 in the books). But in some weird way a lot of people found that scene romantic and that wasn’t what he intended to do there. The show on the other hand is a lot more in your face about it, so you can’t possibly find that scene romantic.

:agree: he is creating his own mythical world, with humans. The psychology still has to be accurate for us to accept the fantasy and learn from it.

I never understood that part of the deal to be fair. But then I didn't make the deal. Maybe the Dothraki didn't even know where they were going? Viserys wasn't a genius, either. :dunno:

Well you sort of contradicted yourself as I pointed out (; No biggie though. However, the Dothraki indeed knew what Westeros was and they did know it was a sea away. I'm sure they'd have sent expeditions to raid it in history if they didn't know it was a sea away. Add to the fact they know Jorah is from there (hence the name Jorah the Andal) and you can tell that they knew full well what they committed to Viserys.

Committed. And Dany didn't even push the issue with Drogo. Her brother's attempt at the one thing the lack of which had been driving him nuts his whole life, now he has some semblance of a chance at attaining this crown, and his sister doesn't give a shit about it because she's too busy falling in love with Drogo.

Viserys being pissed was justified. Not what he said, but then again I'm sure as hell he didn't mean it since he was drunk and also going mad pretty fast.

Well you sort of contradicted yourself as I pointed out (; No biggie though. However, the Dothraki indeed knew what Westeros was and they did know it was a sea away. I'm sure they'd have sent expeditions to raid it in history if they didn't know it was a sea away. Add to the fact they know Jorah is from there (hence the name Jorah the Andal) and you can tell that they knew full well what they committed to Viserys.

:lol: I know, it tends to happen when I'm defending a character that I don't particularly love (Drogo in this case). Now on topic.

The Dothraki knew what Westeros is. What I meant is that maybe they didn't know Viserys wanted them to go there when they made the deal. They certainly had promised and army to Viserys. However, the Dothraki see it as a gift that you could not demand, but that would be yours in time.

Committed. And Dany didn't even push the issue with Drogo. Her brother's attempt at the one thing the lack of which had been driving him nuts his whole life, now he has some semblance of a chance at attaining this crown, and his sister doesn't give a shit about it because she's too busy falling in love with Drogo.

Drogo is not exactly a person to be pushed. After Viserys died Dany tried to convince him, but he wouldn't listen to her. He accepted after he learned that someone had tried to kill her. Dany was too busy pleasing Drogo so he wouldn't ever deny Viserys gift, and would give it to him faster. Wasn't that what Viserys wanted Dany to do? The problem is that before doing anything else, Drogo, his Khalasar and his new Khaleesi had to go to Vaes Dothrak. After finishing all the celebrations, rituals, and affairs that they had to solve there, then they could please Viserys. He only had to wait.

Viserys being pissed was justified. Not what he said, but then again I'm sure as hell he didn't mean it since he was drunk and also going mad pretty fast.

Viserys was justified. He had a hard childhood, he was getting mad, he was drunk, and in his eyes he had paid the "price" and was demanding his "purchase". Viserys probably didn't mean what he said, due to all the things already listed, but he still should've been more patient. However, that is not what Drogo saw. Viserys not only threatened Dany, Drogon's moon-of-my-life, and their son, but also sheathed a sword in Vaes Dothrak, which is considered a very big crime for Dothraki. What did you expect Drogo to do? Dany did try to stop Viserys, but he didn't listen, and Drogo probably wouldn't have listened to her either.

Well considering women of today can fall for drug pushing lowlife loosers I don't have that hard a time imagining a woman could fall for a guy that looks and acts like Ares himself stretched out his hand from the clouds and placed him on the ground.

Before you start to blame the Drogo fangirls, he has just as many fanboys: "Badass powerfull warlord yeaaaaahhhh"... :rolleyes:

I am a woman and I hate him, never found his relationship with Dany romantic. I don't even find Momoa that attractive (but maybe I am just projecting my dislike of the character...)

I think even Daario is an improvment compard to him. At least he never raped Dany, and Dany was always willing to sleep with him.

And this is my 999th post :devil: :devil: :devil:

Before you start to blame the Drogo fangirls, he has just as many fanboys: "Badass powerfull warlord yeaaaaahhhh"... :rolleyes:

I am a woman and I hate him, never found his relationship with Dany romantic. I don't even find Momoa that attractive (but maybe I am just projecting my dislike of the character...)

I think even Daario is an improvment compard to him. At least he never raped Dany, and Dany was always willing to sleep with him.

I feel the exact same way, and I can't help but balk every time someone refers to Dany and Drogo's relationship as some kind of epic love story. I suspect we're in the minority judging from the comments here, however. :lol:

The guyliner didn't do much for me but Momoa was fairly charismatic in the role. I don't like Drogo any more in the TV show than I do the books but it's easy to see why someone else might, based purely on his performance.

I think people like Drogo because he is the very FIRST person to ask Dany what she wants, and he barely speaks the language. Despite his culture (and frankly all the cultures in this book) tendency towards rape and violence, he offers her a choice and is kind and gentle with her, and has the added bonus of freeing her from her brother's control. He's the reason she develops confidence enough to step up and become a true Dragon.

That's why he wins Dany over, and that's imo why people like him. I always thought it was weird that he just raped her in the show like anyone else in that world would have, as I thought that moment in the books was the moment in which she began to love him.

And incidentally, when I first read the books my thought on the sex scene between them was "Wait....what? I thought he was some rape happy warlord dude?"

Found it very confusing, but was happy that it wasn't worse for Dany.

Archived