Outlander (Tv show)

AncalagonTheBlack

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Monday April 29, 2013 @ 4:37pm PDT.

Outlander, Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling fantasy/romance/adventure series of books, is slowly inching to the screen. No greenlight from Starz yet, but I’ve learned that the project has opened a writers room, with Battlestar Galactica developer Ron Moore, who is spearheading the drama series adaptation, hiring four scribes to work with him. The move indicates that Starz is contemplating a potential straight-to-series order for Outlander, a route the pay cable network has taken with most of its original series.

Joining Moore on Outlander are two writers who have worked with him before — Battlestar alumna Toni Graphia and Caprica‘s Matt Roberts — along with veteran showruner Ira Behr (Alphas, The 4400) and Anne Kenney (LA Law, Switched At Birth).

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/ron-moores-outlander-series-adaptation-for-starz-sets-up-writing-staff/

I'm sure we had a thread on this already, but it seems to have been culled. Starz are bringing Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series of time-travelling romance novels to the screen. Ron Moore (BSG, Star Trek) is developing the project. Ira Behr working for him is a tantalising idea, as they made a great team on DS9.

Don't really know much about the novels but this sounds interesting based on the people involved. Hopefully Ira Behr is the one who reined in Moore's utterly nonsense mythology that plagued the end of BSG as it was acceptable in DS9.

I wonder what this means for the sci-fi show that Steven S DeKnight was working on for Starz? I'd be surprised if they'd do two sci-fi shows at once - especially as this is untested territory for pay cable channels.

Along with the AMC sci-fi show it looks like my wish for some HBO-style sci-fi is finally on the cards. It's hopefully just a matter of time before HBO announces their sci-fi show.

Don't really know much about the novels but this sounds interesting based on the people involved. Hopefully Ira Behr is the one who reined in Moore's utterly nonsense mythology that plagued the end of BSG as it was acceptable in DS9.

I wonder what this means for the sci-fi show that Steven S DeKnight was working on for Starz? I'd be surprised if they'd do two sci-fi shows at once - especially as this is untested territory for pay cable channels.

Along with the AMC sci-fi show it looks like my wish for some HBO-style sci-fi is finally on the cards. It's hopefully just a matter of time before HBO announces their sci-fi show.

As I understand it, the SF elements in Outlander are borderline nonexistent. The time travel thing is a MacGuffin to facilitate storylines mainly concerned with romance and adventure. It's SF-by-the-back-door.

As I understand it, the SF elements in Outlander are borderline nonexistent. The time travel thing is a MacGuffin to facilitate storylines mainly concerned with romance and adventure. It's SF-by-the-back-door.

Yeah, Outlander is Historical Romance with a tiny dash of time-travel.

Cool so it means the Deknight thing is still hopefully a go. Reading up on what Outlander is about has significantly diminished by excitement for it, I think I must have been getting mixed with the sci-fi film or the sega game :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Significant amounts of information here.

Good news is that they're keeping pretty faithful to the books. Claire is still from the 1940s rather than a contemporary setting, and the plot will be the same (Ron Moore's wife Terry - a mainstay of the old BSG podcasts - is a huge fan of the books and apparently wouldn't let him change anything). The only notable shift will be that some characters get more time on-screen than they did in the books, as they had to show their character and motivations in clearer ways. Black Jack, played by GoT's Tobias Menzies, apparently gets more to do than he did in the novel.

The first season will be 16 episodes and only adapts the first novel, Outlander (aka Cross Stitch in the UK for some reason). Presumably future seasons will adapt future books, but they're not thinking about that too much at the moment. Apparently their effects focus on the series will be in contrasting locations in ruins in the 1940s with their pristine versions of 300 years earlier.

Archived