Outlander (Tv show)

AncalagonTheBlack

Okay, I bought the first book and I'm about 100 pages in and ugh...

Can someone tell me if it gets better? I almost quit after 20 pages of her and her husband talking about family lines and making tea and drinking tea and talking about herbs and the bed and breakfast and driving around the countryside.

And the "Ooo, we make funnies about Tea! And oooo, we make funnies about driving around!"

And then zapped into the past and that kind of perked me up, but not enough to want to keep reading it.

If someone can tell me that there is reason to keep going, I'd be more inclined....

For me, I read the whole book and never went further into the series. I found it a difficult read because I was annoyed so often with Claire and Jamie. I spent most of the time imagining Jack Black was Jason Isaacs a la Tavington from The Patriot. I will probably watch this because some of the secondary characters and stories had potential like the dynamics between Colum and Dougal etc.

Definitely not my favourite but a lot of people enjoy the books so I consider myself in the minority.

Can someone tell me if it gets better? I almost quit after 20 pages of her and her husband talking about family lines and making tea and drinking tea and talking about herbs and the bed and breakfast and driving around the countryside.

And the "Ooo, we make funnies about Tea! And oooo, we make funnies about driving around!"

And then zapped into the past and that kind of perked me up, but not enough to want to keep reading it.

If someone can tell me that there is reason to keep going, I'd be more inclined....

Well, I love the books and I wish I could tell you that if you keep reading it will get better but if you don't like the tone and humor 100-200 pages in, it probably isn't something you will enjoy.

It's not really clear what you don't like, so it's hard to say.

I spent most of the time imagining Jack Black was Jason Isaacs a la Tavington from The Patriot.

ROTF!!!! I did this as well!

I'm a big fan of the book series but I have little interest in seeing this on tv so I will probably be skipping it.

The pacing just felt so slow and by the time things move to the past, I'm finding I don't care much about the main character. But sometimes books are slow burners and do take some time to warm up.

I do love the main character. She is strong , fiesty and takes no crap off of anyone without being a superhero. She is strong in herself and finds a way to adapt and survive. So you *may* end up liking her if you keep going but if she is annoying you now, it's hard to say if that will change.

I do love the main character. She is strong , fiesty and takes no crap off of anyone without being a superhero. She is strong in herself and finds a way to adapt and survive. So you *may* end up liking her if you keep going but if she is annoying you now, it's hard to say if that will change.

This is promising. I might stick with it. I like feisty characters. :)

The main character was feisty, and I did like that, but it was a long read and after I had no desire to read the rest. It would probably make great TV as the Scottish Highlands have incomparable scenery , and a fascinating history.

I read some of them. I agree, a bit like Wheel of Time. The books are definitely better than 50 Shades. (I did not even make it 100 pages in that -- terribly written).

When they arrived in the colonies, I lost interest. That must have been true to the period however, the influx of folks from the British Isles.

Less magic than Narnia. As, noted above, SF by the backdoor.

• 2 months later...

Like Chats, I like the shorter stuff better. I know the big books are researched to the nth degree, but surely ALL that detail doesn't need to be in the books. Sometimes there's whole pages of "history lesson because I found a cool recipe for how they used to make candles " or something. I looked at the trailer and might watch an episode or two if Direct TV runs one of their Stars free promos.

My wife went to the show event in LA on Saturday and is going nuts over the show... so I'll probably end up watching it as well.

I was forced to read the first two books. First book isn't bad, second book's first half sucks, and then they fly through the 2nd half. I found I really hate books with just 1 main character as a PoV.

I'm a fan of these books, but they are a bit long. She can get really caught up in a lot of unnecessary detail when you just want to get on with the story. I'm looking forward to the TV series hesitantly. I hope they do the story justice. Definitely optimistic about Tobias Menzies playing the two roles and the trailer looks great.

The Lord John books are really good if you like a faster read and he's a great character, although he won't come into play on the TV series until much later if it gets renewed.

I loved the first book and third book, although the second dragged a little for me.

Once Claire and Jamie's daughter and her love interest started sliding through time...well it got a little old and I quit reading.

But yes, I will watch. :)

• 6 months later...

I read some of them. I agree, a bit like Wheel of Time. The books are definitely better than 50 Shades. (I did not even make it 100 pages in that -- terribly written).

When they arrived in the colonies, I lost interest. That must have been true to the period however, the influx of folks from the British Isles.

That's about when I stopped reading too. I think the third one was the last one I read.

I enjoyed the books, but didn't really feel the need to follow Claire and Jamie (keep typing Jaime...) forever. Her going back the second time and sorting things out was enough of an ending for me.

Archived