How Is The Realm In Debt?

Golden Lion

Obviously borrowing.

But what I mean is once Tywin is out of the picture why doesn't casterly rock just fund the crown and forget the debts so the crown can pay off the iron bank etc?

Does casterly rock not bring in that much income or am i missing something?

as Lymond says, Tywin seems just dead set against it.

Now, they *should* pay for it out of their own pocket, or at least make payments on it to keep the IBB away, since the IBB can be a tremendous threat to their sons, heirs, whoever is sitting the throne. And here, I mean just make the "minimum monthly payments" -- they don't have to pay off all of the debt from their own coffers (at least not based on semi-modern lending standards).

So yes, this part isn't *entirely* convincing to me, but it's a story, and the Lannisters are haughty, self-deluded @#$@#s. So, achilles heel or something.

Obviously borrowing.

But what I mean is once Tywin is out of the picture why doesn't casterly rock just fund the crown and forget the debts so the crown can pay off the iron bank etc?

Does casterly rock not bring in that much income or am i missing something?

Because the Lannisters are cheap, and not above letting the realm suffer for their own personal gain.

The problem with the Lannister's forgiving their debt to the Iron Throne is that it negates their ability to collect from them. In the event that the Iron Throne ever gets it's act together Casterly Rock would like to see it's coffers filled with taxes from all around Westeros.

The IT already owes the Lannisters millions. There would be no reasons for the Lannisters to pay off the rest of the IT's debts that could as much as double the amount that the IT already owes to them.

Or am I thinking jsut about the show? They run together sometimes.

` The Lannisters wouldn't have to lend the crown any money. The crown owes Casterly Rock around 3 million dragons. If the Lannisters excuse that debt, then the crown would be able to pay the Iron Bank.

Also, Cersei was the one who decided to stop all payments to the Iron Bank of Braavos.

The reason the crown is in debt was due to Robert's extravagant spending.

` The Lannisters wouldn't have to lend the crown any money. The crown owes Casterly Rock around 3 million dragons. If the Lannisters excuse that debt, then the crown would be able to pay the Iron Bank.

Also, Cersei was the one who decided to stop all payments to the Iron Bank of Braavos.

I think Littlefinger was committing fraud as well.

Excusing the Lannister debt doesn't make the IT capable of paying back the IB. It just opens up more money to make payments. But the total debt to the IB is several million, which the IT doesn't have on hand, whether they are paying back the Lannisters or not.

I think Littlefinger was committing fraud as well.

Only so far as not mentioning to anyone the level of debt that they were in. He would simply tell Robert and the small council that he'd find the money. I don't think anyone realized the amount of debt that had been incurred because there was never a lack of money.

You can argue that Kevan Lannister would have seriously contemplated that; Varys personally killed him because he was setting the realm in order, patching up relations between the Lannisters and Tyrells, and generally undoing all of the damage caused by Cersei. Despite being a Lannister, Kevan was actually good for Westeros, better than his brother Tywin, who he followed blindly and without question.

I think he would have absolved the Iron Throne of it's Lannister debt, as the Iron Throne was the Lannister Throne, allowing them to begin repaying the Iron Bank.

There was a good thread here with some interesting discussion on the topic. I think it was Littlefinger's financial manipulations and embezzlement. princeimrahil makes a good case that it was Robert's fault. I blame Butterbumps for killing the thread her umm... excel spreadsheet.but with analysis like that who can hold it against her.

omg that thread is amazing.... THANK YOU!!!! :lmao:

And Robert's "girls" couldn't have been real cheap either.

Ive always loved how they stop for a cheese and wine party with cushioned velvet seats and fruit baskets on the way back to KL after Ned accepts Becoming the Hand, it just symbolizes he did everything extravagantly, it would most likely be difficult for even an average glutton to waste as much money on everyday crap as Robert did.

And I used to actually think he was just an old warrior doing his best, and a King's crown was heavy..

the more i rehash the series, the less I like good ole King Bob.

Archived