Should I read Robert Jordan's books?

giant snake

Most people finish what they begin, even if it is mediocre. Especially likely if like the OP they only read three Fantasy books in their life. If one can try WoT, one can try other books instead. Better books.

Ha, is this true? I can't imagine trudging through 13 more books in a series if I didn't like the first one. Or 12 more books if I didn't enjoy book 2. That seems like insane behavior to me. Try a series and if it sucks, give it up. Why would you force yourself to read something you aren't enjoying?

Plus, this and other WoT threads have clearly shown that people have been able to easily abandon this particular series when they'd had enough.

Ha, is this true? I can't imagine trudging through 13 more books in a series if I didn't like the first one. Or 12 more books if I didn't enjoy book 2. That seems like insane behavior to me. Try a series and if it sucks, give it up. Why would you force yourself to read something you aren't enjoying?
Oh come on, there are not only two sort of books, those with loaded guns that rule and those that suck. If I used the word "mediocre", it's for a reason.

Also, and besides, someone with limited experience has little point of comparison and is bound to like mediocre stuff just by virtue of it being the first thing of the genre in his hands. I liked Eddings when it was the first fantasy thing I read, but now by comparison with ASOIAF (and other things) it kinda... pales, heh. That's why it's better to experience multiple series/books/authors rather than a monolithic behemoth, even if you do like reading the behemoth anyway.

Oh come on, there are not only two sort of books, those with loaded guns that rule and those that suck. If I used the word "mediocre", it's for a reason.

Also, and besides, someone with limited experience has little point of comparison and is bound to like mediocre stuff just by virtue of it being the first thing of the genre in his hands. I liked Eddings when it was the first fantasy thing I read, but now by comparison with ASOIAF (and other things) it kinda... pales, heh. That's why it's better to experience multiple series/books/authors rather than a monolithic behemoth, even if you do like reading the behemoth anyway.

We must have different definitions for "mediocre". They way I define it, I couldn't imagine reading say 10 mediocre books just because they were part of a series that I'd started, and one that I'd already determined to be mediocre. As you mention, there's way too many authors and series out there to get stuck in something you don't like.

So if the OP is unable to stop reading books he doesn't like, maybe it's a bad idea to start WoT since it's possible he may not like it. Shame to not be able to determine that first and then bail if you want, but I guess there are some people unable to do that?

We must have different definitions for "mediocre". They way I define it, I couldn't imagine reading say 10 mediocre books just because they were part of a series that I'd started, and one that I'd already determined to be mediocre. As you mention, there's way too many authors and series out there to get stuck in something you don't like.

So if the OP is unable to stop reading books he doesn't like, maybe it's a bad idea to start WoT since it's possible he may not like it. Shame to not be able to determine that first and then bail if you want, but I guess there are some people unable to do that?

I use the one given by the dictionary:

me·di·o·cre

/ˌmēdēˈōkər/

Adjective

Of only moderate quality; not very good: "a mediocre actor".

And who says you cannot like reading things of moderate quality? The question is whether the time would be better spent on enjoying other, better, more varied stuff that would give you a good palette of what's available in the genre to boot.

Well, if that's the case maybe they are better reading short stories collections or novellas. Shit, don't even bother reading, as the time could be spent doing something productive.
Yeah, sure, saying that the time one would use on WoT could be better spent on multiple other, better series in the genre, for a better enjoyment and a better vision of the genre, is obviously like telling someone to not read. Good thing you're here to show us those intelligent and rational implications.

ETA: Not the first time I say it, but screw the "new" forum engine for not supporting any special character.

Most people finish what they begin, even if it is mediocre. Especially likely if like the OP they only read three Fantasy books in their life. If one can try WoT, one can try other books instead. Better books.

Since when has reading books become a zero-sum game?

I use the one given by the dictionary:

me·di·o·cre

/ˌmēdēˈōkər/

Adjective

Of only moderate quality; not very good: "a mediocre actor".

And who says you cannot like reading things of moderate quality? The question is whether the time would be better spent on enjoying other, better, more varied stuff that would give you a good palette of what's available in the genre to boot.

Yeah, sure, saying that the time one would use on WoT could be better spent on multiple other, better series in the genre, for a better enjoyment and a better vision of the genre, is obviously like telling someone to not read. Good thing you're here to show us those intelligent and rational implications.

ETA: Not the first time I say it, but screw the "new" forum engine for not supporting any special character.

I'm happy you are intelligent enough to take a sarcastic comment for a serious, rational and intelligent one. Good for you!

I'm also glad you are here to stop people from reading "bad" books and spend there time reading books you think are good. I mean it we are lucky to have someone who can tell a good book from a bad one as it's something most people struggle with.

You're the one saying most people will finish a series of books even when they don't like them therefore you shouldn't even read the first WOT books. Wow I'm sure glad your here to stop people making sure a terrible mistake.

Archived