Jon Snow is Cercei's 'valonqar' (theory)

Hksaru

Unless I'm mistaken, the only part of Maggy's prophecy to Cercei that was in Valyrian was the one word, 'valonqar'.

"And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

I know of the reasonable theories of Jon Snow being Azor Ahai, as well as the equally if not more reasonable theory that Jon Snow is Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark's son. Going off that latter theory, Jon Snow would be the youngest Targaryen boy - even younger than Rhaegar's other son Aegon VI who survived in Essos - marking the relevance of "little brother" being in Valyrian, and matching Jon Snow as the little brother.

I also find another piece of information in the text of the prophecy highly relevant: "pale white throat" in accordance to Cercei outlasting her children. I do not believe that this necessarily means her children will die young, though the prophecy may indeed mean just that. It is a given, obvious fact that Cercei's throat is pale, so why emphasize that? I say, it means she will grow into an old woman. In addition, that would be the only logical explanation if Jon Snow is to be the one to end her life, as he clearly can't march down South to murder her while he's saving the Kingdoms from the Others and/or Wildlings

In my personal opinion, GRRM intentionally inspired love for Ned Stark from the start of the series, and in contrast intentionally inspired hate towards Cercei from the very start. Defying the norm, he kills off Ned by the first arc of the story. By his logic, I see Cercei as being one of the last primary characters - or rather, villains - to die. If so, the way I see it, once Jon is finished his potential Azor Ahai duties and/or serving the kingdoms, he'll finally be free to uphold his family honor - something he's evidently wanted to do from the start when he nearly deserted the Night's Watch when Robb went to war - and finally avenge his foster family's fates.

No! Jon can`t be both AAR and the Valonquar. It`s not fair. Why should he have all the fun? He will choose one of the 2 and let the other characters be something as well.

On a more serious note I think there could be something to this. Don`t forget that Cersei was/ is planning to send one of the Kettleblack brothers (I don`t know which one, I always get them confused) to the Wall to kill Jon, so it would be nice if Jon avoided the assassination attempt from the Kettleblack and kill Cersei himself.

Also, I haven`t seen you around before. Welcome to the forums :cheers:

No! Jon can`t be both AAR and the Valonquar. It`s not fair. Why should he have all the fun? He will choose one of the 2 and let the other characters be something as well.

On a more serious note I think there could be something to this. Don`t forget that Cersei was/ is planning to send one of the Kettleblack brothers (I don`t know which one, I always get them confused) to the Wall to kill Jon, so it would be nice if Jon avoided the assassination attempt from the Kettleblack and kill Cersei himself.

Also, I haven`t seen you around before. Welcome to the forums :cheers:

That's the first thing I noted when I thought this up as well, he'd be getting too much attention! But if he really is one of the "three heads" or whatever, he'd certainly deserve it, as he'd be equivalent to Daenarys in "worldly importance" so to speak.

Possibly, but I can't see Jon strangling anyone. Now, Tommen on the other hand...

Same. Likewise I could never have foreseen Daenarys choking someone to death; I could see her killing in other ways like bludgeoning or with a blade, but just like Jon she has a kind heart, and strangling is usually so cruel. The prophecy says "once your tears have drowned you" so perhaps alike to Khal Drogo... a way to mercy kill her? Though I think he'd be there to kill her anyways of course.

Jon already has to Marry Val, unite the wildling force, ride a dragon, warg a giant, marry and/or kill Dany, marry Sansa, Sit the iron throne, kill the others, save his sister Arya, save mance, kill ramsay, refortify the NW, have a chat with Bloodraven, give Arya a sword, please Stannis, forge lightbringer, become the Lord of winterfell, fulfill a prophecy, help melisandre, burn a weirwood, protect or destroy the wall....

When will the poor man get a break from the expectations, he's busy!

Jaime has dibs on Kingslayer, but Jon almost took that one away as well. (when he thought he was killing Mance in the fire, when in fact it was the Lord of Bones)

LF/The QoT are kingslayers as well, as are Khal Drogo, Stannis/Melisandre, Roose, and possibly Euron.

That's the first thing I noted when I thought this up as well, he'd be getting too much attention! But if he really is one of the "three heads" or whatever, he'd certainly deserve it, as he'd be equivalent to Daenarys in "worldly importance" so to speak.

Same. Likewise I could never have foreseen Daenarys choking someone to death; I could see her killing in other ways like bludgeoning or with a blade, but just like Jon she has a kind heart, and strangling is usually so cruel. The prophecy says "once your tears have drowned you" so perhaps alike to Khal Drogo... a way to mercy kill her? Though I think he'd be there to kill her anyways of course.

Dany is anything but kind.what was is Slavers bay?

• 2 months later...

Possibly, but I can't see Jon strangling anyone. Now, Tommen on the other hand...

Hmmm...... I could completely see Jon strangling Cersei. He is a prisoner to his own emotions. He does the dutiful thing - without a doubt - when he has time to think things through, but when his emotions come into play he goes against his honour and behaves rashly (unlike Ned) e.g. he almost deserts the Wall when he finds out Jon is going to war without him, he raises a rebellion to free his sister, he threatens his 'brother' Grenn (?) to save Sam from being bullied.

If Cersei was to goad him about lopping off Ned's head, throwing Bran from a window, marrying Sansa to Tyrion and revealing it was her father that organised the Red Wedding that killed Robb, I could see him strangling Cersei in a fit of anger.

Nah, I can't see Jonny boy going after Cersei. If he's Azor Ahai Reborn, he's gonna be way too busy to go after her.

I always thought the pale white throat meant that Cersei would be dressed in mourning, as Cersei mentions it "makes her look half a corpse herself". I think this is a line of foreshadowing that means Cersei will die while dressed in mourning.

I understand your reasoning, and it's true that the prophecy says "the valonqar", not "your valonqar". And, yes, Jon is someone's little brother, whether you believe in RLJ or not. But I don't think that Jon and Cersei will even cross paths.

As for the valonqar, I think that there is a very simple answer: it's Jaime.

Archived