Lightbringer/Azor Ahai Theories (Spoilers)

Spilly

There has been much and more theories as to who Azor Ahai reborn is, and where and what Lightbringer is. I've compiled a list of theories about Azor Ahai and Lightbringer as it has become one of my obsessions as to finding more about this mystery. "Azor Ahai will be reborn amidst smoke and salt wielding the flaming sword Lightbringer to defend the world from R'hllor's nemesis, the Other"

Here's a list of Azor Ahai Theories (With rebuttals):

1. Stannis in fact is Azor Ahai, and the sword he wields is in fact the real Lightbringer. (Maester Aemon believes this to be a fake Lightbringer because of the fact that no heat was present./Melisandre read her fire incorrectly, as she often does, believing Stannis to be Azor Ahai).

2. Jon Snow is Azor Ahai reborn (R+L=J) and he must find Lightbringer. (Jon was not, or has not, yet been born/reborn from salt and smoke, neither has Jon woke dragons from stone)

3. Daenerys Targaryen is Azor Ahai lost in translation. (She did wake dragons from stone, however she has yet to find a physical sword that could be Lightbringer).

4. Victarion Greyjoy was "reborn" when Moqorro healed his wound, in which it openly 'smoked.' Victarion, being a Greyjoy also was born by the sea (salt). (Victarion doesn't appear to be a central character, and while still important, lacks the amount of spotlight Azor Ahai would get from GRRM)

5. Aegon VI Targaryen. Before Rhaegar's death, he believed his son to be the Prince that was Promised. (It is still unclear whether or not this is the real Aegon, and if it is, whether or not Rhaegar was correct in his belief that his son was the Prince that was Promised).

6. Rhaegar Targaryen. Maester Aemon believed Rhaegar to be Azor Ahai. If this theory is true, then Robert Baratheon doomed the realm, when he killed Rhaegar. (The true Azor Ahai could not be killed before his true purpose and duty was enacted)

7. Beric Dondarrion. He was literally reborn. He wielded a flaming sword when he fought the Hound, and the Red Comet was present during his rebirth. (Beric, like many others, seems to be on no pathway towards saving the Realm)

8. Bran Stark. Already on a path north of the Wall, Bran is one of the more plausible candidates. It has been suggested that his rebirth in smoke and salt came after Ramsay Bolton razed Winterfell, and Bran emerged from the darkness of the crypts. It has even been theorized that a dragon underneath Winterfell was awoken during the castle’s fall, that had been living in the warmth of the hot springs for hundreds of years.

This theory comes from something seen from Summer’s point of view on CoK, pg. 956

The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone.

- There are other theories as well. Who do you believe to be Azor Ahai?

Lightbringer Theories:

1. Stannis wields the true Lightbringer.

2. Daenerys' dragons are a metaphorical Lightbringer

3. Longclaw is Lightbringer

4. Dawn (in starfall) is Lightbringer, awaiting its next master.

5. Lightbringer is deep in the crypts of Winterfell, which is why Jon often has visions of going into the crypts.

6. Lightbringer is in Asshai.

7. Lightbringer is hidden somewhere in the Citadel at Oldtown.

8. Bran the Builder was the original Azor Ahai, and after defeating the Others, he hid Lightbringer in the Wall.

What are your thoughts as to who Azor Ahai is, and where/what Lightbringer is?

1)NW is LIghtbringer and LC is AA(Jon)

2)Longclaw and Jon

3)that sword that is made from Ice and i think Jaime get it(Oathkeeper?)and someone

4)maybe in Winterfell and Jon

5)Dawn and maybe Jon

i never believed that dragons are Lightbringer

If the Night's Watch is Lightbringer then the believers of the theory are basically saying that the world is screwed, right?

AA is not someone who can do things on his own, definitely not with facing many, many thousands of Wights, Spiders and Others. So even if he has a shiny sword in his hand, he'll have a need for people who are bound to stay with him, hence the oaths of the NW so people would realise that their continued loyalty to the cause matters. They can draw strength from their words like Jon constantly does.

I guess if you look at it like that, Lightbringer can be an actual sword, but to a lesser degree the oath makes the NW its companions. But the actual NW being LB? Nah.

If the Night's Watch is Lightbringer then the believers of the theory are basically saying that the world is screwed, right?

AA is not someone who can do things on his own, definitely not with facing many, many thousands of Wights, Spiders and Others. So even if he has a shiny sword in his hand, he'll have a need for people who are bound to stay with him, hence the oaths of the NW so people would realise that their continued loyalty to the cause matters. They can draw strength from their words like Jon constantly does.

I guess if you look at it like that, Lightbringer can be an actual sword, but to a lesser degree the oath makes the NW its companions. But the actual NW being LB? Nah.

Remember Azor Ahai needed three attempts to forge Lightbringer. Depending on how we interpret forging, Jon forged the NW once or twice and failed to do so; the NW needs to be reforged at least once more to become the force it needs to be.

Just a q, but wasn't the NW established after the first Long Night? If they're the Watchers on the Wall, need to have a Wall first?

I still don't see how you can turn the few good men the NW still has (lots of too young/unskilled and old people around, if I remember correctly), together with the larger 'army' that are the fighting part of the Wildlings into 10,000 men capable of holding back maybe 20 to 30,000 Wights, if not more? (Number based on A LOT of Mance's Wildlings still being missing beyond the Wall, and quite a few already having died, not to mention the NW men. Wildlings other than Hardhome - and that's hopefully - are dead meat. If the Others understand that their potential soldiers are being evacuated, why not mass attack when they're spread out again.)

On the Wiki ( :P ) you have this:

The Others appear to be superior swordsmen, wielding thin crystal swords said to be so cold as to shatter any object they touch, including the steel blades favoured by the Night's Watch. The sword of the Other that Samwell Tarly slew gleamed with a faint blue glow, when the ice blue blade brushed the flames of Grenn's torch a screech as sharp as a needle stabbed Sam's ears. When asked if he knows what substance an Other sword is made from GRRM answered,

“Ice. But not like regular old ice. The Others can do things with ice that we can't imagine and make substances of it.”

http://awoiaf.wester...ndex.php/Others

If they have swords of ice, then why should AA not have one of fire? I don't think Obsidian swords are around, and I sure wouldn't want the Others so near my body that the only defence I have against them is a dagger. Big a$$ fire sword keeps them at a distance.

You people don't seriously believe all this lightbringer/nissa nissa nonsense do you? I would type out all the reasons that it is indeed a symbol (like Nolan's Batman) or simply not real, but I can't be bothered.

Archived