Lightbringer/Azor Ahai Theories (Spoilers)

Spilly

There is an enormous amount of foreshadowing suggesting that Daenerys is Azor Ahai and that the dragons are Lightbringer. Jon's discussion of some text found in the Jade Compendium is but one of many examples pointing toward heavy parallels between the dragons and the original AA's weapon. There must be some reason that Martin had Aemon give Jon the Jade Compendium and then proceed to comment on those specific passages. The House of the Undying visions and the events at the pyre which gave rise to the dragons are also amongst the list of reasons to connect Daenerys to AA and the dragons to Lightbringer. The history suggets that the Lightbringers are fire based and connected somehow to Asshai (from whence the first dragons originated).

However, there might also be a duo or trio of heros, depending on the meaning of the PTWP and the "three heads of the dragon."

Looks to me like what we've seen from the Jade Compendium just suggests Stannis isn't TPTWP/AAR.

Beric has demonstrated what Lightbringer is and I think Lightbringer will probably be swords wielded by the undead specifically Oathkeeper by Jaime & Brienne. There is an interesting thread arguing Thoros is AA and Beric and Catelyn are his first two swords , Jaime will be next (tempered in a Lion) then Brienne (tempered in a beloved).

Dany as Azor Ahai reborn with the dragons as Lightbringer seems to be the most likely scenario. Another possibility is that Dany is AAR while Jon is TtwP (although recently GRRM may have given indication that these are the same).

Since this series has grown over time, it may be the case that GRRM originally anticipated that the time between some of the textual evidence and references pointing to Dany as AAR and the late stages of the story would be briefer. In absolute terms, at least, this must be true.

I do not think that whoever functions as Azor Ahai reborn is going to completely be an ideal heroic paragon. Azor Ahai reborn is probably going to be a double edged weapon. The world will get the prophesied warrior of light and child of fire, who will indeed powerfully oppose the forces of ice and darkness, but this hero may also prove to be a burden that cannot be borne.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In a further point during Jon's "death" Ser Patrek sigil is a star and his cloak and himself is bleeding (Bleeding Star)

My friend had a theory that the Black Obsidion candle at the citidel is Lightbringer and that it will be activated by Sam who cuts him self and gets blood on it and recites the Night's Watch oath as a means to clear his head during his last night before become a Maester. He can deliver it to who ever AA is.

Awesome Theory.

I think it would really fit how GRRM would continue the Sam storyline.

May be a stretch and my gut doesn't say it will come to be, but another possibility is Davos. He mention the sea spit him back like Patchface, who I believe is undead. Thus reborn amid salt and smoke from blackfire.

GRRM whispered some secret about Davos' future to the actor that made him shocked and say "wow."

I believe Lightbringer may be the sword Dawn. Dawn brings the light. It is made from a meteor, and a connection to tr comet that set things into motion. Mentioning that sword in almost every book without showing it to us is a big clue.

It may be Davos who brings down Stannis who becomes King of Winter and commander of the Wights.

This is my theory for lightbringer

I was wondering, what if lightbringer is yet to be forged, what if, drawing a sword from the flames is a reference to the forging process, I know alot of people think its dawn etc, but unless you assume that Eddard+ashara=Jon (which I dont, I prefer the RLJ one) then there isn't a proper candidate for sword of the morning (best knight of house dayne who gets to weild dawn) and AAR.

I personally think that AAR will have to forge his own sword, and i think it will be made of dragon glass, because that kills others and the fact that a 'red' dragon glass candle actually produces fire, it just fits too well. Also, the prophecy says that the sword will be made, (found if you don't agree) when the stars bleed, referencing to the comet, and coincidentally since the comet the candles at old town have been burning again

So when you follow that logic, then who in all of the world can forge obsidian? COTF and Valyrians, seeing as no Valyrians are left i think that the children of the forest will forge a red obsidian sword for AAR to wield against the others.

You are smart.

If Jon is not dead, or somehow brought back, it would be admist salt (I think it was Bowen Marsh's tears? feel free to correct me of I'm wrong there, but I recall someone crying) AND smoke (his wounds). He will likely have to make some sort of sacrifice (maybe he's already made it: Ygritte) to forge lightbringer (NW?) as his Nissa Nissa. I think the sacrifice is a huge part of it.

There is also one guy you are missing: Jaime Lannister. I think he's a candidate, although an unlikely one. He had a metaphorical rebirth after his hand is cut off.

AAR ISN'T a real prophecy thats my theory

Technically, it's not. GRRM said somewhere that TPPWP and AAR are the same prophecy. It was originally The Prince Who Was Promised prophecy that I believe the Red Religion twisted to their own ends. I mean think about it, they are the only religion running around hailing some savior, and in the end they turn out to be "correct?" That will gain them a lot of influence.

If Jon is not dead, or somehow brought back, it would be admist salt (I think it was Bowen Marsh's tears? feel free to correct me of I'm wrong there, but I recall someone crying) AND smoke (his wounds). He will likely have to make some sort of sacrifice (maybe he's already made it: Ygritte) to forge lightbringer (NW?) as his Nissa Nissa. I think the sacrifice is a huge part of it.

There is also one guy you are missing: Jaime Lannister. I think he's a candidate, although an unlikely one. He had a metaphorical rebirth after his hand is cut off.

If it is Jon then the NW as Lightbringer would work with Ygritte as Nissa Nissa, since Jon alerted the Wall of the threat, and it would've been someone on the Wall who ended up killing her.

I like the idea of it being Jaime personally. He's not so obscure that it feels like a cheap plot twist to avoid an obvious choice, but at the same time he's not too obvious a choice like Daenerys or Jon. The other two are generally seen as typical heroes in many ways, whereas Jaime is a much more grey character who's changed his ways now.

I like the metaphorical rebirth part, and it's notable that one of his big moments is when he reveals why he killed the king, which happens in a warm bath which would've been full likely been rather smoky.

If it is Jon then the NW as Lightbringer would work with Ygritte as Nissa Nissa, since Jon alerted the Wall of the threat, and it would've been someone on the Wall who ended up killing her.

I like the idea of it being Jaime personally. He's not so obscure that it feels like a cheap plot twist to avoid an obvious choice, but at the same time he's not too obvious a choice like Daenerys or Jon. The other two are generally seen as typical heroes in many ways, whereas Jaime is a much more grey character who's changed his ways now.

I like the metaphorical rebirth part, and it's notable that one of his big moments is when he reveals why he killed the king, which happens in a warm bath which would've been full likely been rather smoky.

Jaime beame one of my favorite characters in a hurry. IIRC (which truly idk if I do so feel free once again to call me out) but in healing what was left of his right arm, I believe they used some sort of heat which could easily emit smoke and since Jaime wanted to feel the whole process I'm sure there were tears... I haven't read that part for a while though so I can't truly say, but your moment in the bath makes a lot of sense as well, thanks for pointing it out.

Also I think this whole Lady Stoneheart thing may be leading to Jaime having to somehow sacrifice Brienne, which could arguably satisfy Nissa-Nissa

Jaime beame one of my favorite characters in a hurry. IIRC (which truly idk if I do so feel free once again to call me out) but in healing what was left of his right arm, I believe they used some sort of heat which could easily emit smoke and since Jaime wanted to feel the whole process I'm sure there were tears... I haven't read that part for a while though so I can't truly say, but your moment in the bath makes a lot of sense as well, thanks for pointing it out.

Also I think this whole Lady Stoneheart thing may be leading to Jaime having to somehow sacrifice Brienne, which could arguably satisfy Nissa-Nissa

Yeah I'm fairly sure they did, which is another major idea for the smoke and salt part. I actually prefer the idea of someone fulfilling the prophecy by going through a sort of metaphorical rebirth. It fulfills it, but in a more subtle, unexpected way.

I agree on his current situation with LS. She could be it, or it could be Cersei of course due to the whole Valonqar thing, but he's got two prime candidates there. I've seen a very good theory on it before actually about it being Jaime. The whole thing does relate to a lot of mythology about other works that might be nonsense, but it gives good reasoning for why Jaime could be AA. A point I liked was that AA is supposed to be the saviour of everyone; from king and noble lords to criminals and the poor. Jaime's already shown he can be that in that by breaking his vows to kill the king, he saved everyone in KL.

Obviously there's the point that AA/TPTWP would be of the Targaryen line, but if it was Jaime then I'd imagine it'd either be a red herring, or it'd turn out Jaime and Cersei are Aerys' bastards. Not that I believe the theory, but it's got a lot more to it than the Tyrion one I think. It'd provide a lot of dramatic irony if true, and there's enough evidence and hints in the book to suggest that GGRM definitely wants the reader to at least suspect it. Obviously that's a whole different discussion though.

Also, if it was Jaime then I wonder if Oathkeeper could potentially be Lightbringer?

Not that i have the least bit of faith in any of these dratted prophesies.... I'm with Roadside Rose....Arya is Azor Ahai (or Arya Ahai) and Lightbringer is Needle.

Or Lightbringer is Jon Snow, and AA is whoever comes to wield Jon. Maybe the Nights Watch is Azor Ahai and Jon is Lightbringer, not the other way around. I want it to be Arya and Needle though.

Dany=AA

Jon=PTWP

Bran=Last Hero

The red

The Blue

and the Green

The trident, the 3 branches that become one. They are even color coded properly, the red comet, the blue rose and the greenseer.

Still need to add the twinkle twinkle theory to make it perfect but that's part of Jon's story.

Obviously there's the point that AA/TPTWP would be of the Targaryen line, but if it was Jaime then I'd imagine it'd either be a red herring, or it'd turn out Jaime and Cersei are Aerys' bastards. Not that I believe the theory, but it's got a lot more to it than the Tyrion one I think. It'd provide a lot of dramatic irony if true, and there's enough evidence and hints in the book to suggest that GGRM definitely wants the reader to at least suspect it. Obviously that's a whole different discussion though.

Also, if it was Jaime then I wonder if Oathkeeper could potentially be Lightbringer?

I agree fully on the first part, it's far more likely that Cersei/Jaime were Aerys' children than Tyrion being his child. Of course I'd have to go back and look at timelines to verify this. We know that both births took place at CR. "Of the Targ line" is the only real hitch here, but if OP is going to say Victarion and Bran you open the door to people like Jaime as well. I do thin TPTWP and AA are the same person (although GRRM could have been dropping lines in regards to what the educated people of Westeros think rather than fact, I find it hard to believe simply because he basically gives a huge part of the story away). While the LH is someone completely different (Bran is the perfect candidate for LH, which is why I dismiss him as TPTWP or AA for the most part).

My personal opinion is Jon as AA/TPTWP and Bran as the LH. If TPTWP and AA are different people then my guess is Dany as TPTWP and Jon as AA. But for reals reals, it could be a plethora of people who have already fulfilled some of the requirements and in some cases all of them, I'm just adding to the list. Jaime is an understated candidate and I feel he is more likely than a lot of the people on the list.

• 5 months later...

I think Jon is AAR (if R+L-J is true), that Ygritte is his Nissa Nissa and that the night's watch is LB:

Firstly, Ygritte was 'kissed by fire', lightbringer->bringer of light-> fire, lightbringer was thrust through NN's breast, so 'kissed by fire' might be symbolism for being stabbed by lightbringer. Jon choosing the night's watch over Ygritte, indirectly led to Ygritte's death, parrallel to AAR sacreficing NN for LB.

The night's watch vows are these: Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

See the references to bringing light and ice and fire?

Another theory of mine is that the forging of LB, was the original forging of Valyrian steel, and that the current valyrian steel swords are all part of the original LB, and that in the future, the night's watch and Jon will combine these swords to defeat the others.

I'll add my five cents (adjusted for inflation). AAR and TDtwP do not have to be the same person. They may be, but they may not be.

Lightbringer/the sword the Last Hero/AAoriginal used is not likely to be dragonglass. Why? Because courtesy of Sam's research we know about the dragonglass. It's obsidian. But he also read about dragonsteel, which has yet to be identified. But...in AGoT Tyrion is reading about dragon bone, which is as strong as steel, far more flexible, and impervious to fire (unlike the swords Thoros, Beric and Stannis use). Dragonbone itself is black because of the high iron contect, but the flames--fed by oxygen which causes iron to rust and turn reddish--could be red, thus the "red sword of heroes." And if I'm mixed up on my science regarding the oxygen to red flame connection it can still work because magic! Dragonbone being from a magical creature, it will have some fun properties that normal materials wouldn't.

If CotF told LF about not only dragonglass but also dragonsteel, it's possible he wasn't the only one wielding a special burning sword during the Battle for the Dawn. The AA legend simplified things of course because it's cooler to have one guy with a magic sword than a few thousand. One hero makes a better story in some peoples' opinions.

Now hopefully whatever dragonsteel ends up being, it won't take Gendry or whoever else smith years to figure out how to forge it, because Westeros may not have time for trial and error here.

Archived