What's the point of Ulthos?

Spilly

Mostly this but I think we might get some references during the flashbacks on Asshai. After all, it's right south of it.

It doesn't seem to trade of any kind with other locations though.

Well, the path of water between it and Asshai is called the Saffron Straits...

There also seems to be an abandoned town at the island os Ulos, along its coast, which could indicate that at least used to have some trade around there.

Ulthos was probably created to give a "this world is fucking huge" image. And to kill the idea that sailing west from Asshai and getting to Westeros that way would be a relatively short journey.

Assuming Planetos is round.

Interesting...but what about Ulthos other continents? *bada ching!*

I think there's still one more in the way of the Jade Sea

or it'll be 6 thousand miles of sea until you reach Westeros

Ulthos is some kind of Australia (Martin said it can be a Big Island or a Small Continent), and I think there will be some kind of America

hairy mouse pigs as big as cows- diprotodont from ??Ulthos??

tigers that carry their cubs in a pouch- thylacine from ??Ulthos??

terrible walking lizards with scythes for claws- velociraptor from ??Sothoryos??

I don't see marsupial mega-fauna cohabiting with dinosaurs or placental mammals such as dire wolves and mammoths found in Westeros and Essos, so perhaps Ulthos is their home, making it an analogue for Pliestocene Australia.

Makes sense to me. :laugh:

But I want to hear more about people of Ulthos. :dunce:

Warlocks drinks the shade of the evening and its made from dark trees with blue leaves, right ?

Oh, look at Ulthos :cool4:

To set up the next ASOIAF miniseries! The Adventures of Gerion Lannister! Gerion Lannister in: Lannisters of the Lost (story) Arc, The Temple of Retcon, and The Last Sequel. (Well what about the fourth movie? What fourth movie?)

Well, what did you think those creatures Nimble Dick talked about were? Aliens in Westeros! All will be explained in Gerion Lannister and the Crystal Bullshit.

By the way, that was hillarious XD

You know, I have the map collection at home and it never occurred to me until just now that Ulthos is a separate continent. I thought it was part of Sothyros. In any case, I think that the idea is to emphasise that this is a world that no one has explored in its entirety. This would be the case with our own world until very recently when people began collating maps and doing so more accurately.

Interestingly, on my map it's coloured dark brown and black, as is Sothyros. The other continents seem to be coloured according to their main geographic features so those places must be muddy rocks. :P

The cynic in me says that it was created to make the buyers of the map-books feel good about their purchase.

Bullseye! And as someone who spent there money to buy the maps i am grateful for the effort!

" All will be explained in Gerion Lannister and the Crystal Bullshit."

LOVE IT!!!

Maybe it's where the Last Targaryens TM are living? That's where Dany, Jon, Aegon, and all the Lannisters will go to once the Walkers invade Westeros.

Or maybe it's just a stand in for America.

Since Westeros is Europe and Essos is North Africa-Middle East-Rennasaince Italy and Asshai is Asia and Sothroyos is South Africa...

I think it's where that Poets' City is located, according to him is beyond Asshai, well, maybe another story Martin may create in the future, or more tales like Dunk and Egg, maybe we can saw something about Ulthos

what is the city of Poets?

I forget.

Archived