Who killed Jon Arryn?

Roadside Rose

I don't know if this has been asked before. And I honestly believed it was Cersei that was involved in the death of Jon Arryn. Maybe Jaime played accomplice. But after Littlefingers confession, I am not too sure if its the Lannisters. I think it was Littlefinger or Varys plot. Can anyone shed light on this?

Lysa killed him with poison after Jon discovered the incestual affair Cersei was having with her brother. Littlefinger found out that Jon knew and was going to tell Robert so he told Lysa that Jon was going to send her son away to be fostered which was true but she was still manipulated by Littlefinger to get rid of her husband for him.

Lysa Arryn poisoned Jon after LF persuaded her to after he found out about Cersei's and Jaime's incest.

This, basically. I'm sure Cersei would have gotten around to offing him though, before he could tell Robert so I'm not sure why LF interfered.

I wasn't going to reply to this until after Minerva answered Starkdragon's question, but now that King of the Stark has answered...

Lysa Arryn killed her husband because he was going to send their son to Stannis Baratheon to be his ward to toughen the boy up a bit. Oh and Littlefinger persuaded Lysa to blame it on the Lannisters.

Lysa Arryn killed her husband because he was going to send their son to Stannis Baratheon to be his ward to toughen the boy up a bit. Oh and Littlefinger persuaded Lysa to blame it on the Lannisters.

This is actually what I'm about to say. Not sure if Lysa knows that Jon and Stannis are investigating about the incest and its fruit, but the reason she poisoned her husband is because she is terrified of losing SR.

This, basically. I'm sure Cersei would have gotten around to offing him though, before he could tell Robert so I'm not sure why LF interfered.

I doubt that Jon would make the same mistake as Eddard. He seems more politically savvy and I don't think he would tell Cersei before going to Robert.

If Cerse killed Jon, he could do that without having Lysa as a liability.

I believe Ned would have grieved the death of his foster father but he accepts the position of hand because of the accusation of murder. Cersei has shown that even with her short-sightedness, she's smart enough to hide her murder attempts well. The Starks would most likely not have suspected the Lannisters if Cersei had killed Jon.

I believe Ned would have grieved the death of his foster father but he accepts the position of hand because of the accusation of murder. Cersei has shown that even with her short-sightedness, she's smart enough to hide her murder attempts well. The Starks would most likely not have suspected the Lannisters if Cersei had killed Jon.

But the only reason Ned suspected the Lannisters killed Jon Arryn is because Lysa said so. It's not like he asked Lysa the reason for her accusations or anything like that. Even though Lysa killed Jon, it wasn't a very suspicious death at all. The tears of lys were a subtle way of killing (unlike the Strangler that killed Joff) and Jon Arryn was an old man besides.

The best thing for LF was to wait until Cersei offed Jon Arryn, but maybe he was afraid that Stannis may do something drastic, and decided to take action first.

Archived