Who killed Jon Arryn?

Roadside Rose

I don't know if I hate Lysa for being a bitch and a crazywoman more, or Pycelle for being such a toady with no sense of justice whatsoever.

It's harder to hate Cersei because at least her paranoia is out of loyalty to her family and a genuine concern for her children, as Varys points out.

Good point. And Pycelle was Cersei's lackey, so she had a hand in Jon's death. I wonder if LF told her what Arryn was up to so that she would take that action.

Pycelle's always acted for the Lannisters on his own initiative, and often isn't very smart about it. That's why Tywin never told Tyrion about him acting as a spy when he was sent to the capital, because he wasn't under Tywin's direct command, and may have been a liability.

In all likelihood, Pycelle figured out that Jon Arryn had learned about the incest, and simply figured that Cersei had Ser Hugh poison him. That's what he tells Tyrion in any case.

Did LF find out from Sir Hugh That Jon A had discovered the secret about the children? if that is true, why did the mountain kill Sir Hugh? just because he likes to kill people?

Yeaah.. I never quite got that part, either. My guess would be it was coincidence that Gregor killed him, and only placed further suspicion on the Lannisters by association. That, and of course, it was a deliberate red herring by GRRM.

It's harder to hate Cersei because at least her paranoia is out of loyalty to her family and a genuine concern for her children, as Varys points out.

I re-read Cersei's chapters a few days ago and all I get from her is: "I am made for this," meaning to rule. She loves her children, yes, but she seems to love having a power to rule more.

This shows how competent ned is at playing the "game."

Ned is more of a pawn than a player in the game, imho.

I have a question about LF poisoning Jon Arryn that hopefully someone could answer. I understand he had Lysa do it to stop Jon from revealing the incest secret, but what I don't get is why. Its not like he's best friends with the Lannisters or his position is tied to them, so why protect them? If he wanted Jon died so he could swoop in a marry Lysa, why did he wait so long and let so much chaos come between him and her before marrying her? Didn't he realize that involving her would cause her to act erratically (fleeing back to the Eyrie) and killing the Hand would cause some major chaos? I guess I'm just confused about his intentions and motives.

Also this is my first post- Hello all!

This, basically. I'm sure Cersei would have gotten around to offing him though, before he could tell Robert so I'm not sure why LF interfered.

Because while I dont doubt that Jon Arryn was honorable, I cant see him being dumb enough to go to Cersei and say "look, I know you've been sleeping with your brother and that your kids are his bastards so you might want to get the hell out of dodge." like Ned basically did. In all likelihood he wouldve just told Robert point blank

The answer to this was one of my favourite reveals. My first time reading I was 90% sure that Pycelle did him in under Cersei's orders. When it turned out to be Lysa and Littlefinger it blew my mind. Jon Arryn's death was one of the few mysteries I thought Baelish didn't have a hand in.

I have a question about LF poisoning Jon Arryn that hopefully someone could answer. I understand he had Lysa do it to stop Jon from revealing the incest secret, but what I don't get is why. Its not like he's best friends with the Lannisters or his position is tied to them, so why protect them?

The plan to foster Robert with Stannis on Dragonstone.

Petyr knew Stannis disliked him and wanted him fired or worse. It was not a big problem so long as Stannis was the idiot in Small Council who Robert never listened to.

But Jon sending Robert to foster with Stannis... Now that Stannis was going to be the best buddy of Jon, well, Jon may have trusted Petyr and refused to punish him, but he was likely to fire/demote Petyr simply as a favour to Stannis. And that Petyr would not have liked.

Obvious solution - kill Jon, and Stannis remains the stupid brother Robert never listens to.

Killing Stannis would have worked the same... but Petyr had a willing poisoner in Jon´s bed, none in Stannis´. So Jon it had to be.

Yeah EVERY PLOT LF does is to screw Stannis

Ned got killed because he supported Stannis as King

Jon Arryn got killed caused he was friends of Stannis

The Royal Wedding was to stop the KL invasion by Stannis

The answer to this was one of my favourite reveals. My first time reading I was 90% sure that Pycelle did him in under Cersei's orders. When it turned out to be Lysa and Littlefinger it blew my mind. Jon Arryn's death was one of the few mysteries I thought Baelish didn't have a hand in.

Do you not think that makes it a little bit contrived though? I mean why would LF kill Arryn if he was on his way to exposing the relationship between Jaime and Cersei as it acheives something that he wants without him actually having to do anything. If he needed him dead why not kill him after he has caused chaos.

Do you not think that makes it a little bit contrived though? I mean why would LF kill Arryn if he was on his way to exposing the relationship between Jaime and Cersei as it acheives something that he wants without him actually having to do anything. If he needed him dead why not kill him after he has caused chaos.

Because exposing the relationship with Arryn on Stannis´ side would have helped Stannis and have got Petyr fired as a favour to Stannis first. Petyr would not have been in position to benefit from the chaos.

Also, warning Starks of Lannister plot was caused by Tywin´s declared fostering of Robert.

Archived