Jon Snow the 3headed dragon and mythology.

Does anyone think that Arya's ultimate mission might be to kill the PWTP/AA?

I've had this sneaking suspicion that Arya, who was always very close to Jon when they were in Winterfell, may end up killing him in the final book before he fulfills the prophecy.

I've had this sneaking suspicion that Arya, who was always very close to Jon when they were in Winterfell, may end up killing him in the final book before he fulfills the prophecy.

I have never thought about it and I don't find it possible. However what does it has to do with the OP?

• 2 months later...

I noticed some symbolism on my last re-read that really resonates for the three headed dragon to be Dany, Jon and Tyrion IMO. It's when Dany is performing the ritual that causes her dragon eggs to hatch...

"She climbed the pyre herself to place the eggs around her sun-and-stars. The black beside his heart, under his arm. The green beside his head, his braid coiled around it. The cream-and-gold down between his legs."

-A Game of Thrones, p.803

To me, it symbolizes the following:

Drogon (black) by the heart = Dany as she is the heart of the claim/heart of Khal Drogo (confirmed Dany rides Drogon.) Dragon is named after a great and powerful warrior and ruler. 

Rhaegal (green) by the brain/head = Tyrion, he is the 'brain power' of the three heads, the braid being wrapped around the egg connecting it to the others. If you subscribe to A+J=T, the fact it's named after an older brother she never knew is symbolic as well. 

Viseron (white) between the legs or 'sex'= Jon, representing masculine strength. Also similar coloring to ghost. 

Just found it interesting, personally I hope it's true.

Bloodraven has thousand eyes (ravens, trees, etc.) and one (his own).

Good catch. 

What reason would the FM have to kill Jon? The IB would disapprove since Jon still owes them money. 

No.  That would mean the Others take over the world.  And the Others do things like using the dead as dispensable infantry.  The FM take death very seriously and view it as sacred. No way they are going to do something that will let the Others win. 

• 2 weeks later...

No.  That would mean the Others take over the world.  And the Others do things like using the dead as dispensable infantry.  The FM take death very seriously and view it as sacred. No way they are going to do something that will let the Others win. 

Also, when Arya was on the boat to Braavos the sailors kept saying their names and having her look at their faces so if she was ever sent to kill them she couldn't do it. I.e. if you know someone, you can't be sent to kill them. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hmm this is VERY interesting, I like it, even if the result is that the story becomes very Jon-centric, and the idea I've always had about the books is that there is no single protagonist :dunno:

actually, I think this would be a good thing to discuss... How does the prophecy predate the Targ conquest, but know that PtwP will be of Aerys' and Rhaella's line? Is that a misinterpretation of the text? Did they only know that the PTP will be Targ?

The PtwP will be of Aerys and Rhaella's line was prophecised by a woods witch(the ghost of high heart who supposedly died in Summerhall) who accompanied Jenny of Oldstones to court.

I sort of see these as two separate things. The original prophecy, I believe, would have come before Aegon's Landing, maybe even long before. But the wood witch didn't chime in until much, much later and would have the benefit of more time passing. I don't think it's a case where, hundreds or thousands of years ago, the original seer who wrote the prophecy would have been able to pinpoint it to Aerys and Rhaella, if that makes sense.

It's also hard to keep track of which features are found in the PtwP prophecy and which ones are Azor Ahai. Even if they are the same person, it helps to keep the various "markers" separate, because each might mean something different depending on the culture, language, whatever.

I think it's incredibly important to remember too that we haven't seen any of these prophecies in their full form. We have a vague idea of what Rhaegar might have read, but we don't know for sure. We have Melisandre's interpretation, told through her words and her followers', and we have the Essosi red priests and their interpretation. Who's right? Is it a mix-up? Do these pieces contradict or do different people have different parts of it? How was the original prophecy "seen"? Was it visually expressed, all written, what language, etc.? Because if the entire thing is based on a vision someone saw, that brings up possible implications for misinterpretation, incorrect words, etc. (think of Melisandre thinking Alys was Arya or Pyke/Harlaw was Eastwatch). I'm also curious about etymology: Does Azor Ahai as a phrase actually mean something, or is it gibberish? Is it possible that if we were to learn its etymological root, it would "solve" it? Is that why we only have bits and pieces of these prophecies and never a complete picture, because a complete picture would make the solution clear?

How do you know that Melisandre confused Pyke/Harlaw with Eastwatch? Where is that mentioned?

I was reading a post from Apple Martini (Jon Snow at the Crossroads of Resurrection Mythology) and then I had an idea. In many mythologies around the world one deity has 3 separate *faces*. One deity can be three other deities at the same time. So I had the idea: How about Jon being the three headed dragon with different hypostasis?

Like:

Jon Targaryen, Jon Stark, Jon Snow

Jon the wolf, Jon the Dragon, Jon the crow

Jon the King in the North, Jon the Targ king, Jon LC of NW

Jon the Song of Ice and Fire, Jon the Prince that was Promised, Jon the Azor Ahai Reborn

What do you think?

I do not believe this to be the case.  My thoughts on the 3-headed dragon are as follows:

(This is part of my reply to LML's essays on the topic of Azor Ahai.  I am reposting it here, for you, consort)

1) Drogon is the Stallion Who Will Mount the World. Furthermore, he is also The Prince Who Was Promised. Let me repeat, Drogon is both the Stallion and the Prince. Because:

A. His mother, Daenerys, is a rightful queen.
B. His father, Drogo, is a rightful king of his people.
C. Stallion implies that he will father children, thus bringing about the return of the dragons.
D. Rhaegar was wrong when he tried to bring about the "the dragon must have three heads" thinking they are his future children. Wrong, blondie. Rhaegar assumed the "3-heads" are Targaryens rather than actual dragons because as far as he knew, the dragons were gone for good. The "3-heads of the dragon" are actually Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion. Rhaegal and Viserion will turn female and lay a bunch of eggs.
E. The allusion to horse means Drogon will be the vehicle that Daenerys will ride to conquer the world and remake it according to her vision, which she has a right to do given her role of Mother.
F. Drogon's role, as well as that of his sisters, are protagonists. They are the protagonists in the story and will help bring about a unified people in order to help homo sapiens survive the cataclysm known as the long night.

2) Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow. Yeah, I know, this is the topic that fans can get worked up about. Jon Snow's role in the story is to fight the Others directly and could even involve working out a compromise with them. Dany's role is that of the mother figure, the one to unite the world and force everyone to work towards a common goal rather than serving themselves. (This is the true role of Azor Ahai.  Dany is Azor Ahai).  For example: The Iron Bank wants to collect its loans and make a profit. It will take someone with the power of a dragon to force the bank to forgive the loans, forget about profit, and allow Westeros to continue to buy food to last the long night. That's like asking the banks of our time to forgive loans and nothing short of a nuclear bomb super glued to their asses with the remote control in your hand to make them agree. We see this happening in Mereen. Dany is forcing the slavers to give up something they really, really don't want to give up, slaving.

3) The North. Yeah, many of the important scenes in the story will happen at the north simply because George's world is just too big. But other equally important events that we will not witness and read about will take place elsewhere. For this reason, Jon Snow is a major character. However, his role is local. He's a local hero.

4) Daenerys, Tyrion, and Jorah. They've have the advantage of traveling the eastern continent, which is the majority of the world and having exposure to cultures, peoples, and traditions. Their role will have a bigger impact, as they affect everything outside of Westeros and eventually, even Westeros itself. Westeros will stand a poor chance of survival on its own. Dany's role is to pull all of the people together, and like a mother, discipline the children and make them work together for the common good. That might mean some people losing their wealth and status, like the slave masters and the bankers. It may mean forcing the Ironborn to forget this shitty mentality of pirating and looting. For sure it will mean breaking the Dothraki way of enslaving the helpless folks of Essos.  It may mean forcing the wildlings to accept the rule of law and bend knee. 

5) The three heads of the dragon are Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion.  The human dragon is Daenerys.  It matters not who Dany's wingmen are.  What matter most are the actual dragons themselves as they are the engines for change.  

It's not what you wanted to read, perhaps, (your post read like you're a supporter of Lord Snowflake, and I am most certainly not) but I like my ideas better.  :) 

I do not believe this to be the case.  My thoughts on the 3-headed dragon are as follows:

(This is part of my reply to LML's essays on the topic of Azor Ahai.  I am reposting it here, for you, consort)

1) Drogon is the Stallion Who Will Mount the World. Furthermore, he is also The Prince Who Was Promised. Let me repeat, Drogon is both the Stallion and the Prince. Because:

C. Stallion implies that he will father children, thus bringing about the return of the dragons.
D. Rhaegar was wrong when he tried to bring about the "the dragon must have three heads" thinking they are his future children. Wrong, blondie. Rhaegar assumed the "3-heads" are Targaryens rather than actual dragons because as far as he knew, the dragons were gone for good. The "3-heads of the dragon" are actually Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion. Rhaegal and Viserion will turn female and lay a bunch of eggs.
E. The allusion to horse means Drogon will be the vehicle that Daenerys will ride to conquer the world and remake it according to her vision, which she has a right to do given her role of Mother.
F. Drogon's role, as well as that of his sisters, are protagonists. They are the protagonists in the story and will help bring about a unified people in order to help homo sapiens survive the cataclysm known as the long night.

2) Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow. Yeah, I know, this is the topic that fans can get worked up about. Jon Snow's role in the story is to fight the Others directly and could even involve working out a compromise with them. Dany's role is that of the mother figure, the one to unite the world and force everyone to work towards a common goal rather than serving themselves. (This is the true role of Azor Ahai.  Dany is Azor Ahai).  For example: The Iron Bank wants to collect its loans and make a profit. It will take someone with the power of a dragon to force the bank to forgive the loans, forget about profit, and allow Westeros to continue to buy food to last the long night. That's like asking the banks of our time to forgive loans and nothing short of a nuclear bomb super glued to their asses with the remote control in your hand to make them agree. We see this happening in Mereen. Dany is forcing the slavers to give up something they really, really don't want to give up, slaving.

3) The North. Yeah, many of the important scenes in the story will happen at the north simply because George's world is just too big. But other equally important events that we will not witness and read about will take place elsewhere. For this reason, Jon Snow is a major character. However, his role is local. He's a local hero.

4) Daenerys, Tyrion, and Jorah. They've have the advantage of traveling the eastern continent, which is the majority of the world and having exposure to cultures, peoples, and traditions. Their role will have a bigger impact, as they affect everything outside of Westeros and eventually, even Westeros itself. Westeros will stand a poor chance of survival on its own. Dany's role is to pull all of the people together, and like a mother, discipline the children and make them work together for the common good. That might mean some people losing their wealth and status, like the slave masters and the bankers. It may mean forcing the Ironborn to forget this shitty mentality of pirating and looting. For sure it will mean breaking the Dothraki way of enslaving the helpless folks of Essos.  It may mean forcing the wildlings to accept the rule of law and bend knee. 

5) The three heads of the dragon are Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion.  The human dragon is Daenerys.  It matters not who Dany's wingmen are.  What matter most are the actual dragons themselves as they are the engines for change.  

It's not what you wanted to read, perhaps, (your post read like you're a supporter of Lord Snowflake, and I am most certainly not) but I like my ideas better.  :) 

I like your ideas better than The Doctor's Consort's ideas, quite FRANKLY, Mr. VI.  (high-five)

So, The Doctor's Consort is also Jon's Queen Consort

Franklin 6

Franklin 6, your ideas indirectly support my theory:  Rhaego and Drogon switched places right before Mirri delivered.  What Mirri delivered was a dead dragon embryo from the petrified egg.  This is supported by her own statement, "he had been dead for years."  I'm in complete agreement, and thank you for bringing a fresh theory to the table, one that is logical.

I was reading a post from Apple Martini (Jon Snow at the Crossroads of Resurrection Mythology) and then I had an idea. In many mythologies around the world one deity has 3 separate *faces*. One deity can be three other deities at the same time. So I had the idea: How about Jon being the three headed dragon with different hypostasis?

Like:

Jon the Song of Ice and Fire, Jon the Prince that was Promised, Jon the Azor Ahai Reborn

What do you think?

What do I think?  No offense ma'am, but I think you're trying too hard to make Jon into something he's not.  I will acknowledge that one of his many possible parentage involve a Targaryen, but only a few of the Targs got to ride dragons, and none of them ever hatched a dragon from rock fossils.  None of them walked into flame and came back out bald but otherwise unburned.  Dany is Azor Ahai. 

I might have been persuaded earlier to believe Jon was the promised prince, but after reading the comments preceding mine, I am now considering other more logical possibilities.  One important point.  Jon is no longer the Lord Commander.  I can see Jon on the run to avoid punishment for his treason.  I don't see how he can inherit Winterfell, let alone king in the north.

I will say this, the OP has some wild imaginations. 

Franklin 6, your ideas indirectly support my theory:  Rhaego and Drogon switched places right before Mirri delivered.  What Mirri delivered was a dead dragon embryo from the petrified egg.  This is supported by her own statement, "he had been dead for years."  I'm in complete agreement, and thank you for bringing a fresh theory to the table, one that is logical.

I do not personally have a formal theory, though I have my opinions as to who AA is.  Dany is AA.  It does seem logical that some kind of switch happened prior to Rhaego's birth.  Azor Ahai/Dany "woke her dragons from stone eggs" and brought about their return.  Drogon, the child of a Queen and a King fulfills the prophecy, making him a Prince.  The Targaryens have been waiting for the dragons to come back, so in that sense, Drogon fulfills that expectation as he is the sire of all future dragons.  I love it.  I want Drogon to take a prominent role in the story and graduate to major character status.

Jon Snow -PWWP, AAR, and the Mother of Dragons.

Jon Snow -Ned Stark's bastard, the wart on Catelyn's butt, and Father of Arya's litter of squealing puppies. 

1) Drogon is the Stallion Who Will Mount the World. Furthermore, he is also The Prince Who Was Promised. Let me repeat, Drogon is both the Stallion and the Prince.

That's a nice new angle.  Pretty good.  Keep it up, man. 

:agree:

Like:

What do you think?

I like it !

Ok, yours is the best theory I have read regarding the stallion and the prince who was promised.  

I do not believe this to be the case.  My thoughts on the 3-headed dragon are as follows

And what this has to do with the op? The op was very clear and this is very clearly off topic.

Franklin 6, your ideas indirectly support my theory

And what this has to do with the op? The op was very clear and this is very clearly off topic.

So, The Doctor's Consort is also Jon's Queen Consort

And what this has to do with anything at all?

:agree:

Ok, yours is the best theory I have read regarding the stallion and the prince who was promised.  

Archived