[Book Spoilers] EP306 Discussion

Ran

I really liked the episode; I was really curious how they were going to work Littlefinger's monologue in. Also, though it was more for the audience to notice, I loved how Sansa seeing his ship sailing away made it almost seem like he was punishing her for turning him down.

(WOO FIRST POST!)

I know she wasn't in the scene, but could it have been Margery who killed Ros?

It may just be coincidence but in the Joffrey/Margery scene a few episodes ago Joffrey was pretty excited about the thought of watching Margery shoot someone.

I know it was only Joffrey shown in the room, but he could have been sitting there for a while.

Also, if anyone knew/found out about Margery's participation in this little 'experiment' they could use it as blackmail or evidence (If she was in some sort of... trial? :P ).

Her involvement in the killing of an 'innocent' woman could have some seriously negative connotations about how the small folk view her.

Anyway, i'm probably reading into this to much, but i'm new to this site and seeing all the forums about the books makes me thinks I REALLY need to read more into EVERYTHING!

I really liked this episode, but it wasn't as great as last week's. I always think this but... too little Jaime & Brienne! Although we will see a lot more of them next week.

I was shocked to see Ros go the way she did, but it was definitely about time the non-reader viewers were reminded just how bad Joffrey is. It was nicely done though, with Littlefinger's monologue voicing over the montage.

I liked Cersei's & Tyrion's little chat. I'm liking the few scenes between them that aren't venomous. They might have issues with one another, but sometimes they're just a sister and brother teaming up to find solutions to a common problem. They really only have each other to confide in about family matters, and it's nice to watch when they do.

So, Arya and Melisandre will meet again, and some foreshadowing about the Faceless Men! It could be interpreted as her killing men with those eye colours as well, but that's less interesting as that could be anyone. They're such common colours.

Loras was wonderfully awkward in his scene with Sansa. Clearly not comfortable at all, hehe.

Oh and, Theon. As uncomfortable I am with watching his scenes with Ramsay, I do think they are necessary for non-reader viewers. If they aren't shown what horrors he lives through during this time, they won't understand or sympathize with him later on. In the books we were able to understand Theon's journey through his thoughts, but that's not possible on screen. I couldn't actually watch, but was Ramsay flaying his finger at the end? I thought it looked like it. Another hint...

I actually thought that Loras was starting to like Sansa as a person, and was trying to overcome the awkwardness of the situation (and he certainly was more aware of it than she was, since he was the gay man who had lost the love of his life and Sansa was clueless as to her supposed bridegroom's sexual orientation). They actually seemed like two attractive young people who had not thought they would come together, were being brought to an arranged marriage, and were trying to get to know each other before the wedding.

I was soooo glad to see Ros dead. I'd have preferred her to exit the series by embezzling a fortune from Littlefinger and running off to start her own brothel in Pentos, but at least she's gone.

Tywin & Olenna's power luncheon was great. So was the Cersei/Tyrion commiseration party. Sam & Gilly & Baby were sweet.

Great scene at Bolton's dinner table.

Could we please, please, please skip the weekly Theon Torture Updates? I'm going to have to stop snacking while watching the show if there's going to be more flaying and whatnot. Ick. I know what's going to happen to Theon, or at least much of it; but I really don't want to have to see it happen.

I'm tired of the Varys/Littlefinger Cryptic Conversations. I couldn't tell what the heck Littlefinger was portentiously babbling about, and didn't care.

I'm starting to get annoyed with the Blackfish. Edmure might be a dufus, but he's a dufus who happens to be the BFish's liege lord, so a teeny bit of respect would make more sense than Brynden's constant slap-you-upside-the-head threats.

And on TV, the Brotherhood Without Banners are as greedy and opportunistic as all the other bad guys; happy to sell an innocent down the river for gold. Oh well. I'm pretty sure that Gendry will survive, maybe he'll meet up with Arya later in Essos...(I'd be delighted if Arya kills Melisandre someday...)

Enjoyed the Wildling Ascent of the Wall. This episode was better than last week. Of course, I can't really remember much about last week's episode.

I loved that Tormund is beginning to lighten up!

I also really liked Littlefinger's speech this episode, particularly this line:

"Do you know what the realm is? It's the thousand blades of Aegon's enemies: a story we agree to tell each other over and over until we forget that it's a lie."

Thought that was a pretty kickass quote

Edited by Joyful Union

And on TV, the Brotherhood Without Banners are as greedy and opportunistic as all the other bad guys; happy to sell an innocent down the river for gold. Oh well. I'm pretty sure that Gendry will survive, maybe he'll meet up with Arya later in Essos...(I'd be delighted if Arya kills Melisandre someday...)

Is everybody here really forgetting that the BwB gave up Gendry because it is R'hollor's will? Thoros says "Our God is the one true God, and all men must serve him". R'hollor sent Mel to te BwB to take Gendry. R'hollor took back Beric six times. The BwB firmly believs in R'hollor, they have ACTUAL proof he exists and has power.

Therefore: R'hollor asks for Gendry, the BwB give him up without questions. Is that so hard to understand?

Is everybody here really forgetting that the BwB gave up Gendry because it is R'hollor's will? Thoros says "Our God is the one true God, and all men must serve him". R'hollor sent Mel to te BwB to take Gendry. R'hollor took back Beric six times. The BwB firmly believs in R'hollor, they have ACTUAL proof he exists and has power.

Therefore: R'hollor asks for Gendry, the BwB give him up without questions. Is that so hard to understand?

Yes, because in the books the BwB are the protectors of the innocent (in their own ways), they don't serve any king or religion. Is there proof in the books that anyone in the BwB bar Thoros (and maybe Beric) supports R'Hollor? The various kings and lords have their wars with little regard as to what happens to the smallfolk, and so the BwB and the smallfolk help each other. I don't buy that in the books the BwB would have given up Gendry for a second, Certainly not so willingly, anyway.

I kept waiting for Sam the Slayer or something significant like that from the book to happen, but it never really did.

To be fair, I didn't have too high expectations for this episode and figured it would be a bit of a lull. Looking forward to episode 7 and 9 as the highlights.

Edited by Jorah the Explorer

I kept waiting for Sam the Slayer or something significant like that from the book to happen, but it never really did.

To be fair, I didn't have too high expectations for this episode and figured it would be a bit of a lull. Looking forward to episode 7 and 9 as the highlights.

I assume we will get sam the slayer soon though, since they brought up the dragonglass again.

Yes, because in the books the BwB are the protectors of the innocent (in their own ways), they don't serve any king or religion. Is there proof in the books that anyone in the BwB bar Thoros (and maybe Beric) supports R'Hollor? The various kings and lords have their wars with little regard as to what happens to the smallfolk, and so the BwB and the smallfolk help each other. I don't buy that in the books the BwB would have given up Gendry for a second, Certainly not so willingly, anyway.

Yes, but this ain't the books, innit?

Weren't the BWB going to Ransom arya to robb in the books? I know the hound was.

Yeah they were, and even in the show they were planning on it. That's understandable, they're handing her over to her family whilst making a profit to keep their fight up, whereas they could have easily made more profit by ransoming her to the Lannisters, but they're not horrible people.

Oh fine, this is the old "I can't separate the books from the show" thing. All right then.

What? Stop spouting shit, you asked why it was hard to understand and I gave you the reason. Of course it's seperate, or more accurately it's the same story but taking different turns to get to where it's going. I like some of the changes the TV show did (Tywin/Arya in S2) but this one just seems silly to me. I don't understand the constant need to change the characters.

Thoros says the same about continueing their fight when Arya talks to him in this episode. Hell Mel could have been very decietful when saying what her reason for wanting Gendry is. iirc all she said was that The Lord of Light needs him, that can be pretty vague.

Edited by Completely Headless Ned

I wasn't a fan of BwB handing over gendry for gold, but maybe this is for Arya's future plot benefit to show her loss of trust in humanity.

This, and also to show the gradual decline of the BwB from noble freedom fighters to the hateful bandits they are when LS takes over.

What? Stop spouting shit, you asked why it was hard to understand and I gave you the reason. Of course it's seperate, or more accurately it's the same story but taking different turns to get to where it's going. I like some of the changes the TV show did (Tywin/Arya in S2) but this one just seems silly to me. I don't understand the constant need to change the characters.

Yes lad, but the explanation you gave me falls into the realm of "I can't separate the book from the show". You've told me twice what the BwB did in the books. That does not matter at all: what the BwB does in the show is utterly believable, IF you do not base your views on the book.