How would you rate episode 306?

Ran

How would you rate episode 306?  

762 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Lol honestly though it was kind of hilarious watching him barge in like an idiot with Shae standing there as she's undressing, given that conversation he and Shae had about Sansa.

I know it's vile and offensive and super misogynistic but it was hilarious.

:lmao:

You don't barge into someone's room and then avert your eyes.

But he did...

There's a REASON people knock on doors. LMAO.

He had a servant announce him, and then entered. Clearly, within the fictional universe of the show, this is acceptable conduct, as none of the characters really object. I mean, Cersei knocked on Tyrion's door, but then threatened to have the Kingsguard break down Tyrion's door if he didn't open it.

Edited by ab aeterno

I really really liked the episode.

One thing though, I was not a big fan of Ramsay. Baby talking with Theon was pretty cringing, and I didn't like that it felt like he was a little more crazy, and a little less sadistic than he should be. In my eyes he is a really sadistic asshole, but not particularly "crazy".

But all in all it was really really good, the climbing scenes were PURE gold. So well done.

Edited by Jaqen H'gcarl

Oversexualised? I see more skin on 14-year olds when driving to the gas station.

That's what I thought. Her "smallclothes" are basically a full dress. Disney's hannah montana generation in turn have more sexualized clothing than Sansa in that scene

ETA- Theon is being flayed while wearing no shirt and I don't see anybody complaining about the oversexualization of Theon's torture

Edited by Winterfellian

It was made very clear by Mance that Tormund would lead 20 wildlings over the Wall.

Well you can clearly see in or around twenty, maybe more, in one of the trailers, running around the North like a pack of wild gypsies.

That's what I thought. Her "smallclothes" are basically a full dress. Disney's hannah montana generation in turn have more sexualized clothing than Sansa in that scene

ETA- Theon is being flayed while wearing no shirt and I don't see anybody complaining about the oversexualization of Theon's torture

hehe right? Especially when it actually looks like hes nude.

Oversexualised? I see more skin on 14-year olds when driving to the gas station.

So you're agreeing with my point? Teenage girls are oversexualised.

He had a servant announce him, and then entered. Clearly, within the fictional universe of the show, this is acceptable conduct, as none of the characters really object. I mean, Cersei knocked on Tyrion's door, but then threatened to have the Kingsguard break down Tyrion's door if he didn't open it.

I don't think Sansa is in any position to object. And really, you're using Cersei as a guideline for what is considered polite in Westeros?

It was a stupid scene. The lines were cringeworthy, and it once again continued the trend of whitewashing Tyrion.

1) Theon is not a 16 year old child.

2) Theon's scenes are framed in a way to illicit sympathy and shock; in contrast, the Ros scene is textbook male gaze.

3) I've complained about the gratuitous and unnecessary nature of Theon's scenes.

Stop derailing a valid argument.

Edited by Xray the Enforcer

I don't think Sansa is in any position to object. And really, you're using Cersei as a guideline for what is considered polite in Westeros?

It was a stupid scene. The lines were cringeworthy, and it once again continued the trend of whitewashing Tyrion.

I never said it was polite, just that it seems to be acceptable, according its portrayal on the show. You asked why would Tyrion do that, and the answer is that he did it because he could. You're saying that it was impolite, and unacceptable for Tyrion to barge into Sansa's room, and that this is clear to the viewer, so how do you maintain that Tyrion is being whitewashed?

Edited by ab aeterno

I had to rewatch the Sansa scene, I failed to find any oversexualisation. Considering it only showed a pair of shoulders it doesn't take much to top that. The dress of my prom date showed more than Sansas smallclothes.

Edited by Akal Colzet

1) Theon is not a 16 year old child.

2) Theon's scenes are framed in a way to illicit sympathy and shock; in contrast, the Ros scene is textbook male gaze.

3) I've complained about the gratuitous and unnecessary nature of Theon's scenes.

Stop derailing a valid argument.

First, read carefully. I was responding in regards to Sansa. I never mentioned Theon. And I mantain my statement. Sansa's "oversexualized small clothes" are basically a dress. They are quite prudish as smallclothes go.

Second, from what read in the Ros thread most people sympathize with her and the ones who don't is not on account of misoginysm or anything like that but rather because they are glad to be rid of a non book character so I don't see what are you getting at.

Third, like I said earlier I never brought Theon to the argument. That was you. I actually think his story would have had more impact had the show go about it the way is in the books.

What valid argument? That you personally (big emphasis on the word personally) find Sansa's scenes oversexualized?

Edited by Winterfellian

I feel like I watched a completely different episode than everyone else saw, one where the QoT did NOT agree to any wedding, and basically told Tywin to go fuck himself, and snapped his quill in two. That's the version I saw, and Tywin and the QoT ROCKED IT.

My version also had one of the funniest scenes ever with Jamie trying to cut his meat one-handed, and Brienne finally getting fed up and helping him. OMG HILARIOUS. And could that dress be any uglier? Worst shade of pink ever.

The Ice fall on the wall was amazing. I was wondering how they were going to do that.

• The Meera and Osha rabbit skinning lesson, with Jojen's vision of Jon.
  • Sam and the dragon glass - showing us exactly where he keeps it.
  • Anguy giving Arya an archery lesson.
  • Thoros and Mel trying to out-vagina each other, with Thoros clearly having the strongest, and Mel showing some actual fear. That was awesome.
  • Loved Thoros story of his HOLYFUCKINGSHIT moment of having a direct hand in a miracle via magic, and finding his "faith."
  • Beric telling Mel, "There is no 'Other Side', only darkness.
  • Arya protecting Gendry. Arya not taking shit from Mel. Mel seeing Arya the Assassin. "We will meet again." That's interesting.
  • HFS Ramsey. Non book peeps must be pulling their hair out.
  • The Frey's looking like part of the Monty Python and the Holy Grail inbred idiots who got lost, and ended up in Westeros. HAAAA.
  • Edmure being a selfish idiot, and Bryden being a complete BADASS.

I've never seen a show lit so spectacularly.

• Jamie, "Watching me fail at dinner." HAAAAA! NCW needs an EMMY!
  • Olenna, "Sword swallower through and through."
  • Loras and Sansa talking about weddings, and "fringe sleeves." Hello Liberace.
  • Tyrion sussing out Joffrey tried to have him killed, and once again Cersei cannot give voice to her Bad Seed son.
  • I think Tyrion telling Sansa will play more dramatically than the shock of the book in the long run.
  • I love how the show is showing how Varys and Littlefinger are trying to pull all the strings.
  • I'm sad for Ros, I wanted her to outlive everyone.
  • Sansa realizing once again that fate has shit all over her. How she doesn't turn into a bitter, suicidal crazy woman is a miracle.
  • The top of the Wall set was magnificent.

Best lit show on TV, EVER.

I don't understand all the hate and whining. Did you all want them to skip this part and have no setup for what's to come?

I gave it a seven but still agree with pretty much everything in your summary. It was a really good solid episode with some moments of sheer brilliance - mostly the double headed conversations between the various pairings you've mentioned. It also had a pretty spectacular ending shot and I thought Rose Leslie did a great job in showing Ygritte's stunned shock/appreciation for the "other side" of The Wall.

Except for the QoT and Tywin exchange, she agreed to the wedding so that Loras wouldn't be drafted for the Kingsguard :)

Edited by Cadiva

Gave it a 6. Sansa being told she would wed Tyrion by Tyrion himself was so freaking anticlimatic... Why not have it as a surprise like the book, it would also give sophie a great chance to show her good acting skills once more. I was happy to see Tormund finally make some jokes at john. Hated Ros death.

I really regret reading the books before this season. I used to enjoy this series so much, but now I can't help myself from comparing it to the book... Sometimes I can't even watch a whole episode because I get bored.

I really don't know why people recomend reading before watching. I really don't.

I read the books after the first season. So grateful I had the TV cast in my head as I read them. And I'm loving every minute of the series. Just blown away anything this good is on TV.

Show Tyrion has more honor and decency than Book Tyrion, that's why he told Sansa.

Yeah, Sansa was definitely oversexualised. I hate it when girls show off the tops of their shoulders like that, the filthy harlots. Sarcasm intended by the way, I don't get for a moment what people are on about with it! I didn't even consider it being remotely sexualised when I was watching it.

Great episode, great series!

I am going to be pretty harsh and go with 4/10.

This episode, especially after the last two, is barely recognizable as ASoIaF or even the GoT show. They have done so much great work adapting the story this season, working with the time and resources they have available to show the broader strokes of characterization, and making changes that are either necessary or that actually add something on their own merit. However, this episode is a total throwaway.

Almost all of the adaptive changes they've made appear totally unnecessary and superfluous. This episode does not treat you like an intelligent person; it smacks you in the head with a brick in order to resolve any questions or subtleties the show's writing may have left in question. Cliches abound and many characters are made more one-dimensional through clumsy characterization. This episode is one of the poorest examples of writing in the whole series, in my opinion.

You see it coming from every angle; Loras is just a silly gay knight who wants to have a pretty wedding and have lots of gay sex with whomever. Tyrion is just a sardonic saint in a bad situation. Littlefinger is the Joker in velvet. Ygritte and Jon are Bonny and Clyde.

When you put the writing done by D&D in contrast with some of the better writers on the show, it really makes it seem like they just don't have the minds for this type of work. They can't stand having grey characters or leaving questions over which one can ponder and debate. They have done some work on this show that is just so ham-fisted and clumsy that it's almost laughable. I understand that they have to lower the scope and detail of the source material in order to put ASoIaF into one hour TV slots, and do it without totally confusing people. Still, they often make choices which seem so clumsy and convoluted when they could just be keeping it simple, and they could leave some things a little more open without being confusing.

It must be said that I don't abhor all deviations from the books. Some things are handled very well and some even add a new dimension to the story. However, sometimes they change a character's fundamental traits or motivations so much, or change plot points, so that the only way to reconcile the alterations with the greater story becomes a complication in itself. What I see in this episode is that they have basically had to take an entire hour to scramble at making any sense out of some of their greater deviations. They will have to take such measures again in the future thanks to things like revealing point-blank why Tyrion was almost killed in Blackwater, having Melisandre make an inexplicable trip to kidnap Gendry and giving Littlefinger a 'some people just want to watch the world burn' speech.

There were parts in this episode that were done well, but none that stood out. Lord Bolton, Ramsay and Theon are progressing well and I think that their interactions provide some much needed mystery for non book readers. Again, though, I just can't understand why given their already stifling limitations they would spend so much time on other things that are so superfluous and irrelevant.

Overall, this was easily amongst the weakest episodes of the entire series.

Edited by Lucifer Lightbringer