[SPOILERS] So about Ros...

Capt. Zemblanity

People act like Ros took up loads of screen time every episode. Throughout the entire series she had maybe 15 minutes of screen time, and none of those scenes were focused solely on her. People just like to whine.

Well speaking for myself, my argument was not that she's on screen an excessively large amount. It was that they have many many many characters coming in and that they need every single second they can get, no matter how small. At risk of being repetitive, there are still lots of people who think Daenerys is named Khaleesi. The more people see of these characters that have to be introduced, the more they will remember about them.

I thought it was cheap. The way they killed her was classless and I don't think anyone needed to see that to know Joffrey is still a monster. It was cheap shock value and it conveniently filled the tit quota.

I don't believe Joff ever killed someone personally in the books. I don't like this deviation for him.

I do think D&D gave themselves some kind of redemption after creating someone like Ros. I had liked how they managed to replace the book whores with Ros and it was done in a clever way. But then, Valar Morghulis came out and it looked as if she was going to have a new arc of her own and that she would be playing either Varys or LF, the most powerful men in Westeros. I got worried about that and joined the haters. Now, she only had two scenes this season. She unnerved me somehow, but it was because I thought she was going to get away with it. And now, thay have really shown us how dangerous LF can be, an image that Ros was putting in danger.

Storywise I'm perfectly fine with Ros getting axed, I just think the hatred her character gets is just extremely petty. Most people hate her for the simple fact that she wasn't in the books.

I'm actually really sad she died! I liked Ros and never understood why so many people hated her with a passion.

She did look great tho hanging there.

I'm going to miss her!

It was a great way of showing how dangerous LF is.

I thought it was cheap. The way they killed her was classless and I don't think anyone needed to see that to know Joffrey is still a monster. It was cheap shock value and it conveniently filled the tit quota.

I don't believe Joff ever killed someone personally in the books. I don't like this deviation for him.

Well show Joffrey is older.

He probably would have killed someone in someway alike this one if he had reached this age in the books

Was I the only one that thought the quarrel-ridden corpse of Ros looked STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL, in a creepy/Gothic-horror kind of way?

It almost looked like the cover of a scary pulp novel from the first half of the 20th century.

Hope you don't think I'm a sicko for saying so.

I know there are a lot of Ros-haters among the book readers, but I will miss the lovely Esme Bianco.

You didn't read the books carefully. Joff LOVED his crossbows in the books, just as he does in the show. He used to go up on the ramparts and shoot peasants who were begging for bread.

Was I the only one that thought the quarrel-ridden corpse of Ros looked STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL, in a creepy/Gothic-horror kind of way?

It almost looked like the cover of a scary pulp novel from the first half of the 20th century.

I know there are a lot of Ros-haters among the book readers, but I will miss the lovely Esme Bianco.

You didn't read the books carefully. Joff LOVED his crossbows in the books, just as he does in the show. He used to go up on the ramparts and shoot peasants who were begging for bread.

That's exactly what it looked like. I've been trying to place the image all day.

Or they got rid of Ros in this episode because they've realised they're at the point in the story were invented characters don't really have a place anymore unless they want to deviate completely from the books and thus won't be adding in another invented prostitute character. Not they ever should have had invented characters but we're moving towards the latter portions of the series surprisingly fast - in just a couple years time we could be seeing twow on-screen. Past season 3 Ros would have had less and less place in the series.

We were joking. Argh please don't remind me of how fast it will be time for them to air TWOW, knowing GRRM probably isn't anywhere done with the books and that means the show will surpass them. It gives me a headache just thinking about it! :frown5:

Come on GRRM!

I know what you mean, you aren't a sicko. I am a Ros hater but I will admit that Esme is quite lovely!

Poor Ros, but there was never going to be a happy ending for her..

I am sure she had a few happy endings and gave plenty out . . Hey Oh!!!!!!! :cool4:

In all seriousness, as I mentioned I am glad her character is G O N E. Thank you Dave and Dan, Thank You, :cheers: :bowdown:

People act like Ros took up loads of screen time every episode. Throughout the entire series she had maybe 15 minutes of screen time, and none of those scenes were focused solely on her. People just like to whine.

Well about half an hour. Going by Schala's screen time post she had about 15 minutes in season 2, and she probably had about the same in S1. That isn't very much tbh, but it certainly adds up. 30 minutes is roughly 10 scenes that could have been spent elsewhere.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I didn't read them carefully, but thanks for your assessment. I don't recall them ever stating that he killed someone. Loving crossbows, ordering beheadings, torturing people, and shooting at people are all very different from one-on-one torture murdering someone.

We were joking. Argh please don't remind me of how fast it will be time for them to air TWOW, knowing GRRM probably isn't anywhere done with the books and that means the show will surpass them. It gives me a headache just thinking about it! :frown5:

Come on GRRM!

I know you were joking (or hoped) I just thought it was a good place to pop in and say it's good they're trimming the fat.

I remain optimistic that Martin will stay ahead of the show.

Hardly a variation, yes. I bet those who disliked such a "variation" now think it was perfectly in-character.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I didn't read them carefully, but thanks for your assessment. I don't recall them ever stating that he killed someone. Loving crossbows, ordering beheadings, torturing people, and shooting at people are all very different from one-on-one torture murdering someone.

Well, if anything, TV Joffrey is running short of personally executed murders, compared to book Joffrey!

And now, thay have really shown us how dangerous LF can be, an image that Ros was putting in danger.

I wasn't fond of all the whore scenes, but complaints about Ros in this episode seem wildly off base to me. I thought it was excellent.

One of the problems the showrunners have is conveying all the nuances of the book to the show, and Littlefinger's portrayal suffered for it. It's hard to show sneaky/cunning/dangerous/urbane in not much screentime. This scene accomplished two very worthy goals. First, it showed those viewers who may have thought that Joffrey might become a decent guy under Margaery's influence that he's even worse than they thought. It restores Joffrey-hate to where it should be, which was difficult given that they couldn't show all the little other details about what a shit he was.

Second, it showed how truly unscrupulous LF is. Yes, sure, peopple should remember all that stuff from season 1, but the reality is that a lot of viewers forget some of those things. This scene set up both LF and Joffrey for exactly where they need to be in terms of viewer perception prior to the PW.

Plus, I loved the shock value. Everyone in the room when they showed Ros just sort of gasped, and I loved that they can still keep some of those shock moments for book readers as well. A great way to set a dark tone heading into the RW, and it made a great contrast with the uplifting scene of Jon and Ygritte on the Wall. It was also cool in that the last we saw of Ros, it looked like she was succeeding in advancing her station in life, and I think some folks were rooting for that. The scene reminded viewers that just when you think you know what's going on, you don't.

Well about half an hour. Going by Schala's screen time post she had about 15 minutes in season 2, and she probably had about the same in S1. That isn't very much tbh, but it certainly adds up. 30 minutes is roughly 10 scenes that could have been spent elsewhere.

But most of her screen time in S2 would have been taken by Chataya/Alayaya and they would have had to hire more actresses.

I wasn't fond of all the whore scenes, but complaints about Ros in this episode seem wildly off base to me. I thought it was excellent.

Maybe I was somehow unclear or I didn't understand you, but I actually thought her death and the way it was orchestrated redeemed LF image.

Archived