[SPOILERS] So about Ros...

Capt. Zemblanity

Well... I can say that for the first time that Ros was onscreen she helped flesh out all characters to what they are in the books... Is it cruel that I can admit her death was her only ever satisfying scene for me?

Erm, to be fair, she essentially WAS Tyrion's "establishing character moment."

Well, half his character anyway. The other half being his first conversation with Jon Snow.

Everyone? Nah, just a few hardcore book nerds.

I'm not that hardcore, she was just a bit irritating. My girlfriend and my flatmates all disliked as well (and the latter in partiular aint hard to please).

Erm, to be fair, she essentially WAS Tyrion's "establishing character moment."

Well, half his character anyway. The other half being his first conversation with Jon Snow.

Fair enough, almost forgot about that... so the scene where she was written to be a one-off extra and her death... still doesn't say much for her as a character. It's a shame really as the actress was great.

I'd say so, though personally I expected her to stand in for Ser Dontos next season.

Not a classy way to kill such a nice character.... although that was coming to her from the moment she gave Varys the stuff.

Yeah, I was expecting her death since she started to work with Varys, but I always thought she will replace Dontos.

This can end the Ros will be fake Arya talk

That, and people finally stop complaining about Ros's scenes, are the "good" part of her death

I'm not that hardcore, she was just a bit irritating. My girlfriend and my flatmates all disliked as well (and the latter in partiular aint hard to please).

I just think a lot of the book 'purists' overestimate their importance. I see a lot of "Haha D&D finally listened to us!" Yeah, probably not. That crowd is like.. 1% of the audience that watches this show.

I don't mind Ros, I never did. But now, I understand why the hate: they waisted more time on the death of an invented character than developing real characters who need more time. Like Snow (yes, I'm mad). Snow is an important character who still I feel very bland in the show: we don't know what he wants, what he thinks, what he's experiencing with the wildings, except that he is just starting to feel less scared by Ygritte. I think Ros has had more development than Jon in this season.

It's not about being a purist, I didn't like her because I felt she reduced the mysterious cunningness (I don't think that's a word) of Littlefinger by making all his decisions transparent to the audience, made Varys seem dumb by noticing things that he didn't, reduced the number of different whores that would be included in the show, thus making Westeros seem smaller, and seem like less women were forced into hard lifestyles to survive, and had an unrealistic rise to power. Yeah she could have gotten there eventually, but that was not a believable period of time for it to happen.

I was somewhat surprised to see her axed without even getting a line of dialog in her exit episode. Love her or hate her, she's been a primary supporting character on the show for three seasons. It was weird to see her death treated as an afterthought.

It did have powerful resonance, though. As book readers, we can be a little jaded about what's to come. This was the first time in the entire series where I was shocked. So, in the end, this served its purpose, I suppose. Joff also becomes all the more sinister in the eyes of the public, just in case they were thinking he'd lost his edge.

Also, for the people who didn't think Littlefinger has been an imposing enough figure so far, it turns Littlefinger into a darker entity...less the snarky weasel.

All that inclusion of Ros.

And they killed her for what, to show us that Littlefinger is ruthless and Joffrey is sadistic?

Like we didn't already know that?

I guess they have either :

A. New avenues for meeting HBO's nudity quota

B. Are now so big they don't have to deal with HBO's nudity quota anymore.

And for those of you who don't believe in HBO's nudity quota, I ask you - why was Tony Soprano headquartered out of a strip club? Because that's not suspicious, or because his wife would really like it? Naw, it's the HBO nudity quota.

Completely off topic, but strip clubs are notorious for money laundering, so its actually makes sense that people in "cash only" enterprises would set up shop there.

This was really not okay, PatrickStormborn was right. Ros' death was very triggering for me... it brought me back to a time in my life when a boy-king tied me up and shot me with a crossbow. D&D should be ashamed...

HAR! :cheers:

And for those of you who don't believe in HBO's nudity quota, I ask you - why was Tony Soprano headquartered out of a strip club? Because that's not suspicious, or because his wife would really like it? Naw, it's the HBO nudity quota.

Tony Soprano operating out of "Bada Bing" was based on the real life Mafioso Vincent "Vinny Ocean" Palermo, who owned "Wiggles" in Queens.

I suppose. Joff also becomes all the more sinister in the eyes of the public, just in case they were thinking he'd lost his edge.

I think Tywin and Tyrion will confront him about this and this will have him say the "everybody is mine to torment" that we heard back in the trailers, which many thought would be about Sansa.

To be fair, Joffrey in books has been more an annoying s.o.b, rather than a dangerous one. Now, there is more reasons for everybody to be a suspect later. Even when she was a whore, there is nothing ok, on a King who is being given a girl to torture and murder, specially if the Tyrells hear about it.

Completely off topic, but strip clubs are notorious for money laundering, so its actually makes sense that people in "cash only" enterprises would set up shop there.

But it wouldn't be their "front". Launder thru the club, do business elsewhere. I've experienced it first hand through a coffee shop and a burger joint, but the strip club is too much "heat".

Unless you are stupid, or meeting a nudity quota.

Archived