Heraldry "semi-cannon"

toffeejay

Perhaps this has been asked and answered before but I'm seeking clarification on "semi-cannon" heraldry.

Semi-cannon seems quite ambiguous, are all the banners not described in the books based on descriptions provided by George or simply created by this website?

All the heraldry published on the Citadel comes directly from George. They can change if he changes his mind about them, but at the moment, they are canon.

It is just that it starts by saying "Having always been interested in medieval history, particularly heraldry, and my fiancée (Linda) being both interested and adept in computer graphics, it didn't take long for us to hit on the idea of trying our hand at representing the heraldry of the Seven Kingdoms."

To me it implied they were making it up, no mention of George!

Later it says "Whatever you see actually written in the books is canon. If you can't find these house names, place names, banners, or words in the published books, they are subject to change in the future"

I understand the context of semi-cannon but there was no information on where they were getting the semi-cannon from. Something mentioned in passing by George or if he had provided a detailed list.

• 4 months later...

I have an interest in heraldry and was wondering about some of the semi-canon coats of arms that break heraldic rules. House Blount for example:

Vert, a bend sinister Gules between two porcupines Sable

breaks the colour on a colour rule whereas House Santagar

Argent, per bend sinister Azure, Leopard rampant holding a battle axe Or, langued Gules

has a tincture on tincture.

Obviously these are allowed in heraldry (and maybe Westeros has different rules) but I wonder more if they were created by accident.

Incidentally it would be great if the arms could actually be described in the correct language either on the page linked to above or on the wiki.

I'd add that I'm not an expert, but Sable is sometimes used as a metal too in eastern european heraldry, like in the albanian banner, which I don'r remember where I read has heraldic origins too.

Archived